Welcome - Introduce Yourself Here

There was a paediatrician where I grew up named Dr D’Eath. He pronounced it Debt but that may have been for marketing purposes.
"Dr. Debt" sounds like a company I would call to consolidate my high interest loans and credit cards debt into one easy payment.

Or, a doctor who would cause me to wake up in an ice bath with my kidney missing if I failed to pay my deductible.

Ooh-weee!!! I'm admittedly unfamiliar with Ralph Stanley (besides a banjo-playing friend who is obsessed with J.D. Crowe and a few others I am blind to bluegrass) but that is beautiful!
That’s the track he contributed to the O Brother Where Art Thou? Soundtrack which is thoroughly brilliant.

That’s the track he contributed to the O Brother Where Art Thou? Soundtrack which is thoroughly brilliant.
Yes, I do remember (well, I guess I don't remember it that well) that soundtrack. I'm pretty sure I had it on CD years back. I remember it kind of making The Blind Boys of Alabama a household name.

I'll have to give the soundtrack a revisit.

Yes, I do remember (well, I guess I don't remember it that well) that soundtrack. I'm pretty sure I had it on CD years back. I remember it kind of making The Blind Boys of Alabama a household name.

I'll have to give the soundtrack a revisit.
Not for nothing but the Blind Boys of Alabama aren’t on that. They did quite a bit of work for Real World and I think Peter Gabriel made sure they got some exposure. Didn’t hurt to work with Ben Harper as well.

Not for nothing but the Blind Boys of Alabama aren’t on that. They did quite a bit of work for Real World and I think Peter Gabriel made sure they got some exposure. Didn’t hurt to work with Ben Harper as well.
Really?! Lol. Then I DEFINITELY have a bad memory of that soundtrack. Without me looking up the soundtrack, was Allison Krauss on it? Otherwise, my memory is fucked.

Edit: I looked up the soundtrack. Maybe I was thinking of the Soggy Bottom Boys (who seem to be as fictional as my recollection).

Really?! Lol. Then I DEFINITELY have a bad memory of that soundtrack. Without me looking up the soundtrack, was Allison Krauss on it? Otherwise, my memory is fucked.
Yes Alison Krauss is on it. I think you must be thinking of the Fairfield Four who along with the Blind Boys and Dixie Hummingbirds were all some of the top Gospel groups and all had a moment around that time.

New account...who dis?

Lol, no, certainly not. You are the only one who ever asked me about that - if my memory serves, that was you and I who had the PM's about if I was that person.

I did not leave as Sisyphus under other than honorable conditions so I've no qualms about recounting that I am him. It was the opening days of COVID and there were a bunch of stressors so I took a short-sighted break in which I opted to totally delete my account.

Of course, that name is based on the Greek myth, but more so the importance Albert Camus' The Myth of Sisyphus held for me in my 20's. If you ever find me on Steam, I game under the tag "mythFKAsisyphus" which also serves as an homage to Prince (TAFKAP).
Just discovered Camus’ Myth of Sisyphus in the last year and wow, after sifting through many belief systems and philosophies in my time it was the first time I was seeing myself on the pages. Such a validating and liberating read. Cheers to you my sir. (I just turned 29)

Just discovered Camus’ Myth of Sisyphus in the last year and wow, after sifting through many belief systems and philosophies in my time it was the first time I was seeing myself on the pages. Such a validating and liberating read. Cheers to you my sir. (I just turned 29)
Right on! My undergrad was in philosophy so I read a good deal of Camus although that treatise is one of the few where his philosophy is not delivered in a story. Good read.

Right on! My undergrad was in philosophy so I read a good deal of Camus although that treatise is one of the few where his philosophy is not delivered in a story. Good read.
If you've a mind to, Hermann Hesse's "Siddharta". Even if you've read it before, it's a different book when you read it older vs when you read it as a young man.

Hi & thanks for the warm welcome! ;)
I'll try to lurk around & maybe introduce myself properly soon, but for now I'm so swamped with work that I didn't have time to look around this place & check out what's going on -- and whether I have anything to add to things y'all are discussing :)

Hi & thanks for the warm welcome! ;)
I'll try to lurk around & maybe introduce myself properly soon, but for now I'm so swamped with work that I didn't have time to look around this place & check out what's going on -- and whether I have anything to add to things y'all are discussing :)
We welcome death.

Back