Vinyl Storage Recommendation

Wood prices are stupid. My wife wanted to put shelves in her office. We went to Lowe’s and it was actually cheaper to buy a project board and some step landings then it was to buy enough wood to make the same three shelves. This reduced my labor but what the fuck?
The cost barrier to entry into even recreational woodworking is stupid high. Like even a decent table saw will set you back $500 and that's really only good for DIY stuff. You wanna talk professional it's like 2 grand for all the fancy fences and doodads.

@wokeupnew here are my shelves
View attachment 200522
Did a quick count on one shelf and it holds 105 LPs. I store the records behind the sleeves though so that probably eats up some more space
I really just want to know the dimensions of each of the boards so I can make a cheaper version of these...

The cost barrier to entry into even recreational woodworking is stupid high. Like even a decent table saw will set you back $500 and that's really only good for DIY stuff. You wanna talk professional it's like 2 grand for all the fancy fences and doodads.
I wish I could rent a spot at a wood working workshop with fully stocked pro tools for like $20 an hour plus cost of building materials/storage.
Basically like Industrial Arts for adults that don’t want to invest thousands of dollars into tools.

I wish I could rent a spot at a wood working workshop with fully stocked pro tools for like $20 an hour plus cost of building materials/storage.
Basically like Industrial Arts for adults that don’t want to invest thousands of dollars into tools.
This really should be a thing. I know there are outreach places here that let you borrow a lawnmower or yard tools. So I'm sure someone with enough goodwill and knowhow could make something like a woodworking shop happen.

Last edited:
I really just want to know the dimensions of each of the boards so I can make a cheaper version of these...
well if @wokeupnew buys them, maybe they can let ya know. i'm definitely not taking mine apart hehe. they don't look that difficult to build actually. the sides are made from 6 pieces wood glued together, then 4 long horizontal pieces that screw down into the side pieces

here's kinda a quick sketch of how it's made—side and front views:

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 2.41.18 PM.png
The screws go down about 1/2” into the top and a piece of dowel goes in there if you’re stacking another on top. The dowel lines up with the holes on the bottom of the next shelf if that makes sense…

IMG_2661.jpeg

well if @wokeupnew buys them, maybe they can let ya know. i'm definitely not taking mine apart hehe. they don't look that difficult to build actually. the sides are made from 6 pieces wood glued together, then 4 long horizontal pieces that screw down into the side pieces

here's kinda a quick sketch of how it's made—side and front views:

View attachment 200536
The screws go down about 1/2” into the top and a piece of dowel goes in there if you’re stacking another on top. The dowel lines up with the holes on the bottom of the next shelf if that makes sense…

View attachment 200537
That's what I was thinking. If they can be hobbled together from typical dimensional boards from a big box then maybe there is some savings. Albeit at the sacrifice of quality and finish possibly...

Time to break out CAD and start tinkering...

That's what I was thinking. If they can be hobbled together from typical dimensional boards from a big box then maybe there is some savings. Albeit at the sacrifice of quality and finish possibly...

Time to break out CAD and start tinkering...
i'm not a super experienced woodworker and i think i could even build these shelves.....maybe that's the design i'll try to make...i have a mitre saw, clamps, drills and wood glue so with some sandpaper i think i should be good to go in terms of tools.

i wish so too, but i imagine insurance would be wild for a place like that...especially with inexperienced woodworkers.

my dad has quite a big workshop up in vermont. mostly tools he has inhereited over the years + cheap stuff he picked up in vermont from yard sales and things. i need to go up there one day and build some stuff.

i wish so too, but i imagine insurance would be wild for a place like that...especially with inexperienced woodworkers.

my dad has quite a big workshop up in vermont. mostly tools he has inhereited over the years + cheap stuff he picked up in vermont from yard sales and things. i need to go up there one day and build some stuff.
True, though I had shop class in junior high as part of my public school education. I would be fine with signing a waiver.

These are real pretty and really expensive:
Made to order furniture costs.

These are real pretty and really expensive:
200.gif

Pretty sure I've posted here before about these very customizable shelving options from Lundia (for those of you looking at various options). They don't offer the kind of contribution to decor that characterizes some of the recent examples posted, but for straightforward, sturdy shelving that can hold lots of records, they're great. Here's a link: Solid Wood Bookcases I went with 15-inch shelving. Dug up this photo I assume I've posted here before.

lundia3.jpg

I started on the new rack build today.
It's going to look pretty decent with the butcher block against the steel shelves.
I'll share some pics when I get moving again.
The butcher block I ordered from Home Depot came in 2" thick vs the 1.5" on the website description.
So I'm delayed until I can get some different feet with longer bolts for the bottom shelf.

Good news I guess to have a heavier block for shelf material than I anticipated.
Hopefully I can get some parts swapped out by the weekend from Grainger.

Last edited:
Back