Vinyl Storage Recommendation

Living the High Life with the Champagne of Beers!

High Life made an appearance on last week’s episode of Top Chef. If it’s good enough for James Beard Winners and Micheline Star Chefs, it’s good enough for me.
I fuck with high life and the nascar spritz on a really hot day.

I didn’t have much money and drank a lot of beer while in college, we used to donate plasma then use our plasma money to buy a 30 Pack with the cash. Lots of Milwaukees Best Ice, Icehouse, Old Milwaukee, Busch Ice, and Red Dog beers were had for with literal blood money. That pretty much killed my ability to be picky when it comes to cheap beer.
I drank Beast Light and Hamms. More than any human should.

How do you think I finance this record hobby?
Pivoting from cheap beer to an even more terrible decision like cheap booze.
This gave me flashbacks. We would pile into a friends van during 7th period at HighSchool and drive 20 miles to a drive-thru liquor store to buy a load of plastic bottle booze. Consume it a atrocious rates while driving back before the afternoon school session ended and then try to disperse looking like normal kids for after school life.

Terrible decisions all the way around. Being older has it's perks.

These are kind of basic, but look like they are well made, in the Pacific Northwest, and they definitely provide a storage solution. No stain options other than natural birch at the listed prices, but custom sizes appear to be available. I think I'm going to give them a go, and I'll opt for an 18" crate rather than the 24" that is one of their standard sizes. Prices include shipping.

This post of yours goes back a couple years, but did you end up buying these? If so, what do you think? I’m busting at the seams and need something simple but sturdy and stackable, and, if possible, I’d rather support this Pac NW guy than a large seller.

This post of yours goes back a couple years, but did you end up buying these? If so, what do you think? I’m busting at the seams and need something simple but sturdy and stackable, and, if possible, I’d rather support this Pac NW guy than a large seller.
I did not, though I don't remember the reason why I opted for a different option, on Etsy. Vinyl Record Storage Cube Vinyl LP Crate for Vinyl LP Storage and Display - Etsy Price seems to have gone up a bit on this, but I can attest to the high quality. I just bought one of the cubes to fill a small space on top of another shelf. But if I was every serious about crating any portion of my collection, I would feel comfortable using these, and it's nice that lids are an option.

EDIT: This link shows the variety on offer: https://www.etsy.com/shop/MileLongR...r-name&listing_id=244504773&from_page=listing

I did not, though I don't remember the reason why I opted for a different option, on Etsy. Vinyl Record Storage Cube Vinyl LP Crate for Vinyl LP Storage and Display - Etsy Price seems to have gone up a bit on this, but I can attest to the high quality. I just bought one of the cubes to fill a small space on top of another shelf. But if I was every serious about crating any portion of my collection, I would feel comfortable using these, and it's nice that lids are an option.

EDIT: This link shows the variety on offer: MileLongRecords - Etsy
Thank you. Those Etsy cubes are interesting — tall enough for the tops, but then it’s harder to flip through and see records.

I’m pretty set on basic storage — crates that are out of the way — with these old Ikea “Trissa” crates that I got cheap off Craigslist. But, in my living room, I have a space between a wall and couch that I’d like to fill with two stackable units, and the large option from that Olympia company seem perfect for that space and will allow me to move a couple hundred records from these crates in my office into my living room, near the stereo.

Here are the Trissa crates. They were sold in black and white, are sturdy, and have openings for handles. Ikea also sold a smaller version that apparently has a very minor cult following among collectors of 7” records.
IMG_2382.jpeg

Thank you. Those Etsy cubes are interesting — tall enough for the tops, but then it’s harder to flip through and see records.

I’m pretty set on basic storage — crates that are out of the way — with these old Ikea “Trissa” crates that I got cheap off Craigslist. But, in my living room, I have a space between a wall and couch that I’d like to fill with two stackable units, and the large option from that Olympia company seem perfect for that space and will allow me to move a couple hundred records from these crates in my office into my living room, near the stereo.

Here are the Trissa crates. They were sold in black and white, are sturdy, and have openings for handles. Ikea also sold a smaller version that apparently has a very minor cult following among collectors of 7” records.
View attachment 200107
I'm sure those Olympia crates are very nice so I don't think you can go wrong. There's something very satisfying about that type of solid construction.

I'm sure those Olympia crates are very nice so I don't think you can go wrong. There's something very satisfying about that type of solid construction.
I think you’re right … but I just went with one of these in the 25” size and added the wooden legs. They were having 20% off sale that ends tonight, and, while it won’t hold quite as many records as the Olympia bc of how thick the wood is, it’s a piece of furniture that seems nice and high quality, as opposed to stacked crates that are also nice as far as stackable crates go but not as good for my living room.

I’m envious of those of you who can build your own stuff. I don’t have a shop or the skills.

I need to scroll through this thread on my laptop, but posting here so I remember to do that later.

I’m looking to upgrade my IKEA Kallaxes to a nicer, solid wood construction that won’t break the bank. Does anyone have any recommendations? I currently use 2 2x4’s and 2 2x2’s.

I need to scroll through this thread on my laptop, but posting here so I remember to do that later.

I’m looking to upgrade my IKEA Kallaxes to a nicer, solid wood construction that won’t break the bank. Does anyone have any recommendations? I currently use 2 2x4’s and 2 2x2’s.
I've got a couple of these cubes and like them: Vinyl Record Storage for Albums, LPs and 45s - Simple Wood Goods

(I realize they are not cheap - I think I actually bought mine B-stock. But they are solidly made.)

Back