Vinyl Storage Recommendation

I need to scroll through this thread on my laptop, but posting here so I remember to do that later.

I’m looking to upgrade my IKEA Kallaxes to a nicer, solid wood construction that won’t break the bank. Does anyone have any recommendations? I currently use 2 2x4’s and 2 2x2’s.
hey @MikeH I searched the boards and saw that you said you have Maple Shade shelves. Although this was 3 years ago in a random status. Do you recommend them as an upgrade for IKEA storage? Are they really solid? Real wood? Construction on them seems decent.

I really like this one (Walnut Eleganza Shelf) since it can hold about 600~ records. It's pricey but that's nearly my whole collection at give or take 850~ records.

hey @MikeH I searched the boards and saw that you said you have Maple Shade shelves. Although this was 3 years ago in a random status. Do you recommend them as an upgrade for IKEA storage? Are they really solid? Real wood? Construction on them seems decent.

I really like this one (Walnut Eleganza Shelf) since it can hold about 600~ records. It's pricey but that's nearly my whole collection at give or take 850~ records.
Heyo! Yea I have 7 of the mapleshade shelves. Looks like I bought the first ones in 2017. I really like them. Pretty easy to assemble. I have four stacked next to three stacked and no issues. I wish I could afford to replace all my kallax with them but I have about 2,500 LPs at this point so it would cost me a small fortune to get mapleshade shelves for everything. They are real wood (I have the ambrosia maple ones with cherry inlays I think).

Eventually I wanna replace the kallax with shelving I build myself.

Heyo! Yea I have 7 of the mapleshade shelves. Looks like I bought the first ones in 2017. I really like them. Pretty easy to assemble. I have four stacked next to three stacked and no issues. I wish I could afford to replace all my kallax with them but I have about 2,500 LPs at this point so it would cost me a small fortune to get mapleshade shelves for everything. They are real wood (I have the ambrosia maple ones with cherry inlays I think).

Eventually I wanna replace the kallax with shelving I build myself.
Awesome!! Thanks for the input!

I have mismatching Kallaxes (2 black and 2 pine for some reason) and I’m trying to find better furniture that’s much more solid. Plus these shelves have been through what is now their 4th move, so it’s time to upgrade. I can’t find anything else online that’s cheaper and is solid wood. Everything else seems to be far more expensive ($2000+) These seem very sturdy, look decent and hold plenty. I may start with a 3 or 4 stack and see how it goes, but I may not buy for a bit because of the price.

@wokeupnew here are my shelves
View attachment 200522
Did a quick count on one shelf and it holds 105 LPs. I store the records behind the sleeves though so that probably eats up some more space
that's not bad at all! not having the center divider thing for each cube of the Kallax probably helps add space to each row. Also I have the same exact flipbin!

These are real pretty and really expensive:

These are real pretty and really expensive:
i like the symbol audio stuff better and think they are slightly cheaper?

yours is $5,100 for a 6 drawer and symbol is $4,500?

oh i see....you want walnut...
i mean I want all kind of things that aren’t gonna happen.
I hadn’t actually hit the fucking thing and whatever page I was on had a picture of the six drawer and a $3k price. I see that is not the price for the six drawer though. 🤷‍♀️

i mean I want all kind of things that aren’t gonna happen.
I hadn’t actually hit the fucking thing and whatever page I was on had a picture of the six drawer and a $3k price. I see that is not the price for the six drawer though. 🤷‍♀️
i need to get my shit together and start building my own furniture haha. it's wild those are $5k for something that looks real easy to make.

i need to get my shit together and start building my own furniture haha. it's wild those are $5k for something that looks real easy to make.
I don’t think making drawers to hold something as heavy as records is real easy to make. But then I am a super novice wood worker.

Wood is expensive right now and it’s labour and skill intensive to make things like that with beautiful details like dovetail joints. Craftspeople deserve to be properly paid for their time and skill. Also like kitchen drawers it’s got to be over engineered to hold a decent amount of weight.

Wood prices are stupid. My wife wanted to put shelves in her office. We went to Lowe’s and it was actually cheaper to buy a project board and some step landings then it was to buy enough wood to make the same three shelves. This reduced my labor but what the fuck?

Back