Vinyl Storage Recommendation

Thank you!

Thank you! I looked at some of the ones listed in that audio karma link when initially considering this. There are lots of great options out there for these!

Next project is to make a matching component rack for my table.
The only part of this I'm uncertain about is how that top shelf is able to hold all that weight. How is it secured to the unit? Are there any supports beneath it? Oh, and how the hell did you make such straight cuts with a circular saw (or were you able to use something more sophisticated)? :D

The only part of this I'm uncertain about is how that top shelf is able to hold all that weight. How is it secured to the unit? Are there any supports beneath it? Oh, and how the hell did you make such straight cuts with a circular saw (or were you able to use something more sophisticated)? :D
It's held together with glue and screws. No supports directly below the top piece but because of the way each piece squares up to the top shelf, it creates a sort of compression around holding it in place. I did some "testing" of its load bearing and can confirm it's pretty solid. I used cabinet grade plywood, 3/4 of an inch, which helps too.

The fine folks at home depot did the first three cuts so it would fit in my car. The rest I did with a circular saw and jig. I cut identical pieces at the same time to keep it all the same size.

It's held together with glue and screws. No supports directly below the top piece but because of the way each piece squares up to the top shelf, it creates a sort of compression around holding it in place. I did some "testing" of its load bearing and can confirm it's pretty solid. I used cabinet grade plywood, 3/4 of an inch, which helps too.

The fine folks at home depot did the first three cuts so it would fit in my car. The rest I did with a circular saw and jig. I cut identical pieces at the same time to keep it all the same size.
Awesome! Looks great, and no doubt staining it would take it to another level.

Really excited about this. I was running out of space for records and with a system in my office it seemed like a good idea to add some storage. I found this site with plans for building a really cool record storage cabinet. It's all made from a single sheet of plywood.

I love the look of this so I set to work and finally got it in my office today. I'm contemplating staining it. Really happy with how it turned out, I'm thinking it should hold 500 records. Right now the plan is to move all the music I listen to myself here and leave everything else by my main system.
View attachment 124183

I've seen these before and think they look great. Question does it take up less space than the ikea cubes?

I've seen these before and think they look great. Question does it take up less space than the ikea cubes?
Yes? no? Kallax are known quantity. Plywood boxes can be customized. The default plan is absolutely going to stick out further. Depending on the kallax arrangement it could be shorter or taller, wider or thinner. This is an entirely different presentation. You are viewing the albums from the front, not the spine. For a kallax that holds equivalent albums the kallax is bigger in every respect besides depth unless you like ran two 3x4 laying on their side where the width would be the dominating factor and the diy would be taller there. It's not really a fair question to begin with.

Yes? no? Kallax are known quantity. Plywood boxes can be customized. The default plan is absolutely going to stick out further. Depending on the kallax arrangement it could be shorter or taller, wider or thinner. This is an entirely different presentation. You are viewing the albums from the front, not the spine. For a kallax that holds equivalent albums the kallax is bigger in every respect besides depth unless you like ran two 3x4 laying on their side where the width would be the dominating factor and the diy would be taller there. It's not really a fair question to begin with.
That's fair. I ask because I have about 850ish? albums in two 3x3's. was wondering if these plywood stands would hold more in the same space.

I took a quick measure and I think that a 3x3 kallax is roughly 44x44x15.25? This is 28x38x20.75. My guess is it wouldn't fit all 850 of your records.

You are viewing the albums from the front, not the spine.
This was actually my main motivation for building the storage this way, being able to flip through like I was at a record store. And, I gotta say, that's probably my favorite thing about this.

I took a quick measure and I think that a 3x3 kallax is roughly 44x44x15.25? This is 28x38x20.75. My guess is it wouldn't fit all 850 of your records.

This was actually my main motivation for building the storage this way, being able to flip through like I was at a record store. And, I gotta say, that's probably my favorite thing about this.
The double level version made from a single sheet is good for 500-600 records.

Really excited about this. I was running out of space for records and with a system in my office it seemed like a good idea to add some storage. I found this site with plans for building a really cool record storage cabinet. It's all made from a single sheet of plywood.

I love the look of this so I set to work and finally got it in my office today. I'm contemplating staining it. Really happy with how it turned out, I'm thinking it should hold 500 records. Right now the plan is to move all the music I listen to myself here and leave everything else by my main system.
View attachment 124183
Interested in building a couple of these, how have you liked them since you finished? Also, how many records are you able to fit in the top part alone?

Interested in building a couple of these, how have you liked them since you finished? Also, how many records are you able to fit in the top part alone?
Love it so far. Going to stain it at some point when it's nicer outside and I've got the time.

Right now I've got 50 LPs on the left and 41 on the other. About half are gatefold or 3 lp sets. I store my LPs outside the jacket in the outer sleeve so that takes up a little more space. You can see I've got room for probably another 50-100 LPs total depending on if they are all single LPs. Maybe a little more depending on how you store yours.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Love it so far. Going to stain it at some point when it's nicer outside and I've got the time.

Right now I've got 50 LPs on the left and 41 on the other. About half are gatefold or 3 lp sets. I store my LPs outside the jacket in the outer sleeve so that takes up a little more space. You can see I've got room for probably another 50-100 LPs total depending on if they are all single LPs. Maybe a little more depending on how you store yours.

View attachment 126283
View attachment 126284
Thank you!!

Back