Vinyl Storage Recommendation

My current setup involves a 2x4 Kallax laying on its side, with my Turntable, amp, preamp, cable box, and PS4 on it. I've seen some people say you shouldn't have these on their side as they're not made to support weight, but others say thats only for older models (this is only 2-3 years old). I'm considering upgrading to a PLX-1000, which weigh upwards of 30lbs, so the issue of stability has been on my mind.

Thoughts? Should I be good or look for reinforcement alternatives?

The 2x4 is absolutely fine in either orientation. At only 2 rows high the twist forces are nothing to worry about in the slightest when having the boards running the “wrong” way. With the bottom row resting on the cabinet outer there is only one row resting on the smaller boards. That’s not enough force to cause issues.

All the disaster shots are of 4x4 and 5x5 etc where if you run the long boards vertically rather than horizontally the whole unit is likely to twist itself apart under load and collapse.

The 2x4 is absolutely fine in either orientation. At only 2 rows high the twist forces are nothing to worry about in the slightest when having the boards running the “wrong” way. With the bottom row resting on the cabinet outer there is only one row resting on the smaller boards. That’s not enough force to cause issues.

All the disaster shots are of 4x4 and 5x5 etc where if you run the long boards vertically rather than horizontally the whole unit is likely to twist itself apart under load and collapse.
So even if they end up filled to the brim with records and have the above stuff on top, I would still be okay? It's not wall-bracketed as theres some pretty thick baseboard molding.

Edit: Also I live in California so earthquakes are a thing. An infrequent thing.

So even if they end up filled to the brim with records and have the above stuff on top, I would still be okay? It's not wall-bracketed as theres some pretty thick baseboard molding.

Edit: Also I live in California so earthquakes are a thing. An infrequent thing.

Yeah absolutely. The stuff on top isn’t going to make huge difference. And no on that one it isn’t going to cause the Kallax disaster problems because what happens with the bigger ones the wrong way around is that the weight causes fhem to twist sideways and rip themselves apart. That’s not going to happen 2 rows high, no matter how full it is.

View attachment 103852
One down- 2 to go! 40 total cubes…

Marshmallow is over it (me too…)
Does anyone have any good tricks for additional stability? I plan to fasten them to the wall - but - I’m open to any other ideas I haven’t thought of.

I have (2) 4x4 shelves and (1) 2x4 shelf

Similarly - any ideas for strengthening a kallax in general? Wood glue?!

Someone posted a photo here of the toppled over record shelf and now it’s my biggest fear. I figure while I’m building and its empty, I should do it right.

Does anyone have any good tricks for additional stability? I plan to fasten them to the wall - but - I’m open to any other ideas I haven’t thought of.

Someone posted a photo here of the toppled over record shelf and now it’s my biggest fear. I figure while I’m building and its empty, I should do it right.

On my 2x4s I have plywood as my backing.
I’m not sure if that would be cost effective on the 4x4s.

Do they include the wall mounting hardware with the 2x4 Kallax now ? Never heard of a Expedit fail that was mounted to the wall properly, this gives it rigidity, stability, and strength. I would use it for the added security. Mounting to the wall is the way to go.

Do they include the wall mounting hardware with the 2x4 now ? Never heard of a Expedit fail that was mounted to the wall properly, this gives it rigidity and strength. I would use it for added security.

They always have? Or at least the ones I bought over the last 10 years have!

The 2x4 upright is fine without wall mounting in my experience. I have three and their weight when full of records makes them rocks. I don’t have any kids though so nobody attempting to climb up them helps. On its side it’s just too low to be moving or tipped, sans malevolent intent, when leaden.

I have never heard of a 2x4 fail full stop in either orientation. All the fails I’ve seen/heard of have been the 4x4 and 5x5 set up by a dipstick that didn’t read the directions and ran the long boards vertically rather than horizontally.

They always have? Or at least the ones I bought over the last 10 years have!

The 2x4 upright is fine without wall mounting in my experience. I have three and their weight when full of records makes them rocks. I don’t have any kids though so nobody attempting to climb up them helps. On its side it’s just too low to be moving or tipped, sans malevolent intent, when leaden.

I have never heard of a 2x4 fail full stop in either orientation. All the fails I’ve seen/heard of have been the 4x4 and 5x5 set up by a dipstick that didn’t read the directions and ran the long boards vertically rather than horizontally.

The problem I see is some people live in older homes with uneven or slanted floors for example and that may put weight distribution stress on a unmounted even 2x4.

If you have ever seen the inside of one these Expedit side/top panels there somewhat hollow inside. Must be quite a interesting manufacture process.

Someone also mentioned putting there turntable on top of the 2x4. Never a bad a idea to have a little extra isolation for the table. Many here use the $20 Ikea bamboo butcher block.

Last edited:
Back