Vinyl Storage Recommendation

Hhv used to be the exclusive retailer , they don't have any right now but you can always contact them to see what their plan is...shipping might still be mental to Ireland though.

I have a wood "flip bin" thanks to @BazookaTooth which is basically this one:

I think that sort of thing is easily available and fairly affordable and I have absolutely no complaints.

Yeah I always seem to miss them when they have them in stock, it’s unpredictable and infrequent, you also have to take what they have rather than pick colour wise. The shipping was pretty reasonable when I checked the one time I did see them in stock but I didn’t want the colour.

I’ll have a look at the wood ones thanks, I do love the aesthetics of the powder coated steel in those vibrant colours.

Yeah I always seem to miss them when they have them in stock, it’s unpredictable and infrequent, you also have to take what they have rather than pick colour wise. The shipping was pretty reasonable when I checked the one time I did see them in stock but I didn’t want the colour.

I’ll have a look at the wood ones thanks, I do love the aesthetics of the powder coated steel in those vibrant colours.

Yeah the wood can't compare to the quality on the flip bin and also hides most of the album art but nevertheless fits my purposes and keeps things tidy and organized.

I did paint mine white (he gave me a black one) so there's always that option to make it fit your asthetic.

I’ve been looking for a flipbin type stand since I do not have room for one on my console. I found something close on Etsy that fit and wasn’t outrageously expensive. My wife was looking for a birthday idea for me and I told her she could get that and instead she decided to make one herself. I am pretty damn lucky.

Attachments

• 4C05E21B-FF5B-45C8-A825-DBD945B770A1.jpeg
    4C05E21B-FF5B-45C8-A825-DBD945B770A1.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
In addition to me re-doing my large storage area in the near future, I have a spot for two or three boxes of records. I don't want to do milk crates but that's about the size I have room for. I thought maybe I might just build them...but I am a novice-level wood worker.

I like the looks of this...

Anyone know of anything similar, and maybe US based?

41MnDANRR5L._AC_.jpg

Also, I found this on the 'Zon, for size it would be perfect but a couple reviews mention that it's made of very thin wood...so for 40 bucks I'm not sure there's a good value there.

In addition to me re-doing my large storage area in the near future, I have a spot for two or three boxes of records. I don't want to do milk crates but that's about the size I have room for. I thought maybe I might just build them...but I am a novice-level wood worker.

I like the looks of this...

Anyone know of anything similar, and maybe US based?
Did you see the posts above yours about flipbins? It's almost like you've written an ad for them.

Did you see the posts above yours about flipbins? It's almost like you've written an ad for them.

Yep, I've looked at those. I'm not sure that's right for what I want to do.

I want something like this, but turned 90 degrees without the top slat, and the handles would be the sides.

I think I'm going to try and make one. I have a couple woodworking friends that could help with some ideas. (and tools)

this.png

Yep, I've looked at those. I'm not sure that's right for what I want to do.

I want something like this, but turned 90 degrees without the top slat, and the handles would be the sides.

I think I'm going to try and make one. I have a couple woodworking friends that could help with some ideas. (and tools)

View attachment 94501
Makes sense. I thought the flipbin looked similar to the first example you posted, the Glorious Record Box. I'm no woodworker, but that looks like something it wouldn't be too hard to make.

I'm going to need a new storage set up - 2,000 records - so like 45-50 cubes.

Thoughts? I assume as bunch of Kallax pressed up against each other, but I welcome anything else! I am going to start on Page 1 and check out other recs as well!

Thoughts? I assume as bunch of Kallax pressed up against each other, but I welcome anything else! I am going to start on Page 1 and check out other recs as well!
I'm in the same spot. Aside from custom builds and Kallax, I haven't come across anything that will provide what I'm after.
Talking to my woodworker friend next week about built-ins, so we can measure and look at a possible plan. But lumber is insanely expensive right now, so it's not the best time to take on a project like that.

If Ikea had the wood-color 5 x 5 I'd go get it, but they only currently have black at the store near me.

I'm in the same spot. Aside from custom builds and Kallax, I haven't come across anything that will provide what I'm after.
Talking to my woodworker friend next week about built-ins, so we can measure and look at a possible plan. But lumber is insanely expensive right now, so it's not the best time to take on a project like that.

If Ikea had the wood-color 5 x 5 I'd go get it, but they only currently have black at the store near me.
Still probably cheaper to buy that and just paint it, right?

I am thinking a (2) 4x4 and (2) 1x4 for a total of 40 cubes. I'd go 5x5, but not sure I want it that tall (want to hang guitars/art above them).

I am thinking a (2) 4x4 and (2) 1x4 for a total of 40 cubes. I'd go 5x5, but not sure I want it that tall (want to hang guitars/art above them).
I did have concern that if I went to 5 high it would take over the room, especially in black. The room is large but is all light earth tones.

Still probably cheaper to buy that and just paint it, right?
I think so. Although my buddy said the plywood that he'd recommend to use is going for like 65 a sheet, so I think wood and supplies will be a few hundred dollars. And to factor in the time it'll take, my storage issue wouldn't be solved for quite a while and I'm ready to do something like now.

I did have concern that if I went to 5 high it would take over the room, especially in black. The room is large but is all light earth tones.

I think so. Although my buddy said the plywood that he'd recommend to use is going for like 65 a sheet, so I think wood and supplies will be a few hundred dollars. And to factor in the time it'll take, my storage issue wouldn't be solved for quite a while and I'm ready to do something like now.
That’s the problem (benefit) of the Kallax - it’s so cheap it makes it hard to justify commissioning your own if you are just going with standard sizes.

Probably. I actually don't know shit about painting so I shouldn't be one to talk about it!

I think you’d need to carefully pick the right paint for the job and possibly even prime. Because it’s not real wood but a vinyl wrap around particle board the wrong type of paint would just run off it.

I think you’d need to carefully pick the right paint for the job and possibly even prime. Because it’s not real wood but a vinyl wrap around particle board the wrong type of paint would just run off it.
It can be done, but it is a massive trial and error project. When I was in high school, the desk from that material I had in my room was a white with some surface defects, so my Mom painted it green. Didn't turn out quite how she envisioned but it ended up looking really cool and popped off a white wall. But it took a few coats in order to just not look splotchy.

With that many records I'd almost consider a built-in of some sort.

Back