Vinyl Storage Recommendation

Those are good ideas. If you have access behind that wall, beef up the studs so they don't warp. Predrill holes, and get sturdy 3 incb construction screws.

You could always lay the kallax on its side, to better disperse the weight over a greater area on those lower cabinets. I know some folks frown on this because the potential for collapse, but I have a 2x4 kallax on its side with amp, turntable, sacd player, tape deck on top. I added some plywood as a backing to stiffen up the whole shelf. Added L shaped metal brackets on the corners as well and its very study.

Good luck with the project.

I’d absolutely not under any circumstances turn it on its side. The 2x4 Kallax is a completely different beast to the bigger ones, it’s better upright but it works perfectly fine on its side, there is only one set of small shelves taking the weight they shouldn’t. The potential for collapse on the bigger units because of the increased weight on, rather than through, the dowels is far too high, we’ve all seen the pictures.

I’d absolutely not under any circumstances turn it on its side. The 2x4 Kallax is a completely different beast to the bigger ones, it’s better upright but it works perfectly fine on its side, there is only one set of small shelves taking the weight they shouldn’t. The potential for collapse on the bigger units because of the increased weight on, rather than through, the dowels is far too high, we’ve all seen the pictures.
Disagree. If he adds a wooden backstop and L shaped metal brackets on the corners, there will be no issues. It'll be rock solid on its side. Those dowels are so tight in the frame, and so short, it'd take an insane amount of sheer force to destroy them in this situation. Also, if he has it mounted to the studs, the shelf will definitely not collapse sideways (as you see in those infamous photos)

Disagree. If he adds a wooden backstop and L shaped metal brackets on the corners, there will be no issues. It'll be rock solid on its side. Those dowels are so tight in the frame, and so short, it'd take an insane amount of sheer force to destroy them in this situation. Also, if he has it mounted to the studs, the shelf will definitely not collapse sideways (as you see in those infamous photos)
They will be standing upright like the picture due to size and me being able to put one on top of each besta..my biggest worry is besta and the weight it will be on it. I’m going to almost have to make a countertop on top of the besta, but not really on the besta and then secure the shit out of the kallax

So, 3 X 4 on it's side needs some extra support? That's where I'm at with the price of wood being so high right now. Wanted to do a built in, but leaning toward this.

So, 3 X 4 on it's side needs some extra support? That's where I'm at with the price of wood being so high right now. Wanted to do a built in, but leaning toward this.
I might be in the minority here, but I think you can put a 3x4 Kallax on its side so long as you reinforce it.

Go to Home Depot and get a large piece of plywood cut to the exact height and width of the Kallax frame. Then use screws to mount it along the outside frame (longer screws on the outside frame), and smaller, shorter screws to attach the wood backing to every board that makes up the interior shelving. A little wood glue on the dowels further strengthens it. Add L-shaped brackets on top of the plywood in each corner ( the larger the L bracket, the better), such that the screws go through the bracket, the plywood, and then into the Kallax frame.

I've done this with my 2x4, and have a 50 lb Yamaha amp, 20 lb turntable, and DVD and Cassette deck on it for years without issue. If I nudge the side of the shelf, there is no sideways wobble or play. It is rock solid. I imagine you'll have similar results with a 3x4. You can also add T-brackets in the middle as well.

41YBXCLG5ML._AC_SX355_.jpg

0419211612.jpg

I might be in the minority here, but I think you can put a 3x4 Kallax on its side so long as you reinforce it.

Go to Home Depot and get a large piece of plywood cut to the exact height and width of the Kallax frame. Then use screws to mount it along the outside frame (longer screws on the outside frame), and smaller, shorter screws to attach the wood backing to every board that makes up the interior shelving. A little wood glue on the dowels further strengthens it. Add L-shaped brackets on top of the plywood in each corner ( the larger the L bracket, the better), such that the screws go through the bracket, the plywood, and then into the Kallax frame.

I've done this with my 2x4, and have a 50 lb Yamaha amp, 20 lb turntable, and DVD and Cassette deck on it for years without issue. If I nudge the side of the shelf, there is no sideways wobble or play. It is rock solid. I imagine you'll have similar results with a 3x4. You can also add T-brackets in the middle as well.

View attachment 96181

View attachment 96182
Yeah adding a back greatly increases side to side stability and would share load the of every shelf and support. I have just used lots of nails for mine, screws even better.

View attachment 96181

View attachment 96182
Makes sense, but also worth considering the extra weight of the plywood if this is being placed on top of something else, which I think is where this most recent discussion began.

Makes sense, but also worth considering the extra weight of the plywood if this is being placed on top of something else, which I think is where this most recent discussion began.
Shouldn't be an issue if the back and some type of brackets are mounted to the studs.

View attachment 96181

View attachment 96182
The on it's "side" issues is more about the 4x4's, the 2x4's long board. on it's side, runs horizontal so its pretty stable. The 4x4 on the other hand has long boards, but when placed and or put together incorrectly has a lot of shifting weight, support and stability issues. That being said, all would benefit from corner reinforcements/brackets and or solid backs/plywood, or at the very least securing them to the wall with the included anchors/brackets.

Back