Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I was dabbling in the Cadet titles this morning. Peace Maker did not make an impression, but maybe I need to give it a closer listen. Would definitely love to have the Etta, Muddy, and Ashby. Thoughts on the others?
The Terry Callier is my favourite in the box, followed by Rotary Connection. To me the only dud is Shades of Brown which left no impression on me

they are all great (well maybe aside from Ramsey Lewis haha), but Peace-Maker was the album that i wanted most. Originals are in the hundreds of dollars. Same with Afro-Harping.

Electric Mud is great--a clear upgrade over the recent Turd Man reissue. Etta is also really really great. Mono copies of that one are hard to find from what I recall.
Before taking the plunge on anthologies, I price them out with what I can find on Discogs. Here is mine for Cadet that I did this week:

Tell Mama (Mono) - $52 ($25 for stereo)
Afro Harping - $56 for VG or $80+ for a decent copy
The Peace Maker - $33
Electric Mudd - $25 (already have)
Mother Nature's Son - $21 for VG $30+ for a decent copy
Shades of Brown - $110 🤯
Hey, Love - $25
Occasional Rain - $74
Total: At least $344 (took Electric Mudd out because I have it and did stereo Tell Mama). More like $429 if everything is in there + whatever you value the box and extras at.

The Terry Callier is my favourite in the box, followed by Rotary Connection. To me the only dud is Shades of Brown which left no impression on me

Yeah I appreciate what they were going for by including Shades of Brown, but in the end it’s probably my least spun record in the box. Everything else in the box more than makes up for it.

Before taking the plunge on anthologies, I price them out with what I can find on Discogs. Here is mine for Cadet that I did this week:

Tell Mama (Mono) - $52 ($25 for stereo)
Afro Harping - $56 for VG or $80+ for a decent copy
The Peace Maker - $33
Electric Mudd - $25 (already have)
Mother Nature's Son - $21 for VG $30+ for a decent copy
Shades of Brown - $110 🤯
Hey, Love - $25
Occasional Rain - $74
Total: At least $344 (took Electric Mudd out because I have it and did stereo Tell Mama). More like $429 if everything is in there + whatever you value the box and extras at.

You don't have the Cadet sticker. This alone is worth the difference :p

So if I want to use a 40% off code to get an Anthology, I have to do it soon because these are "Black Friday" codes, correct? And if I'm taking that plunge, it probably makes sense to re-join so I get member pricing too. Problem is, I wanted to wait until next month to re-join so that I could get Ode To Billie Joe and Acid as part of my 8 freebies. The math is killing me.

So if I want to use a 40% off code to get an Anthology, I have to do it soon because these are "Black Friday" codes, correct? And if I'm taking that plunge, it probably makes sense to re-join so I get member pricing too. Problem is, I wanted to wait until next month to re-join so that I could get Ode To Billie Joe and Acid as part of my 8 freebies. The math is killing me.

Code is valid until Cyber Monday. You can always DM customer service and ask how to sort it out.

Code is good through Cyber Monday so you have about a few days. Unsure of Acid or Ode even being in freebies next month

Is the Impulse anthology using the same plates as the Third Man crap?
nope. apparently different cuts. from what I recall, all are AAA except for Ptah (tapes damaged/missing) and half of Karma (tape was too damaged for some tracks and 2nd side had to be done digitally).

also won't be pressed at Turd Man. will be done at the new VMP plant

By the way. I could not use both discount code and store credits at the same time. So as suggested, I sent an email right after I placed my orders and less than one hour after, I have already been refunded.
I can complain about a lot of things about VMP but hat off to their CS people.

By the way. I could not use both discount code and store credits at the same time. So as suggested, I sent an email right after I placed my orders and less than one hour after, I have already been refunded.
I can complain about a lot of things about VMP and hat off to their CS people.
Just got my same email back to do the same for the Cadet anthology.

Yeah I appreciate what they were going for by including Shades of Brown, but in the end it’s probably my least spun record in the box. Everything else in the box more than makes up for it.
Yeahhhhh I just streamed all of the albums before ordering the set and really wish Shades of Brown wasn’t there. I’m hoping the sound on the vinyl is so good that it makes it worth listening to, but based on comments here I am guessing that isn’t the case. The rest of the albums are fantastic though.

Just got Busta Rhymes The Coming on the table and man I didn't realize it was the full deluxe package on this one. I was expecting thin board single pocket jacket like a lot of the store exclusives but this is like the full ROTM treatment. Thick stock gatefold with the foil printing etc. Absolutely killer design on the vinyl, poly sleeves. The hell?

You could join for one month with one of those titles, add another track for the other, buy the Anthology, and be back out in 10 days. 😂

Or, if you really want a freebie, join for 3 months (starting with one of the two titles), then swap for the other next month. You can use a referral code and essentially get 4 albums for $108.

The code expires on Monday.

Back