Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Yeah, a Miles Anthology sounds really cool at first, but it's kinda like the Willie Anthology - I'm not sure there are any Miles albums I NEED at this point. I have most everything I want of Miles in good quality pressings (MOFI, AP, RKS Mono, Speakers Corner, Impex, OJC) . I guess some of the MOFI's aren't AAA (??), but they all sound amazing.
I said the same thing about the Grateful Dead. And, on paper, it doesn't make sense: any casual fan will crack open a compilation or best-of or whatever, and the hardcore already have nice copies of everything available, and honestly it's a lot cheaper to build your own box. Someone did the numbers and you could build a mostly mofi version of the GD box for like $100 cheaper. The only real incentive was the one live album that hadn't been put out yet, but that 1 album wasn't going to snag anyone except the obsessed faithful. They really overestimated the deadhead's willingness to spend money for no reason.

But it still sold and apparently made money, so.

I guess a Miles box would live and die on which specific albums are in it. Something early, something bop/cool, maybe an orchestraor soundtrack, a live album probably, an album with a also-famous collaborator like monk or trane or whoever -- miles worked with everybody after all, something from the electric period and one of the latter day albums no one really talks about so you can call it "an overlooked gem" in the press materials.

Last edited:
Im with @TCell on this one.

Miles would make for a great box set but the chances of them releasing a set where I didn't have any of them is pretty slim. That isn't meant as a brag but more pointing out that most peoples jazz collections will likely have at least 1 of his albums, likely a big one which would need to be in the Anthology really.

Haven't the other anthologies that were just for a single artist really played it safe and were more geared towards people new to the artist with maybe something thrown in to grab the more hardcore fan? I'm not that familiar with all the artists included but recall reading here about how some choices were disappointing?

I said the same thing about the Grateful Dead. And, on paper, it doesn't make sense: any casual fan will crack open a compilation or best-of or whatever, and the hardcore already have nice copies of everything available, and honestly it's a lot cheaper to build your own box. Someone did the numbers and you could build a mostly mofi version of the GD box for like $100 cheaper. The only real incentive was the one live album that hadn't been put out yet, but that 1 album wasn't going to snag anyone except the obsessed faithful. They really overestimated the deadhead's willingness to spend money for no reason.

But it still sold and apparently made money, so.

I guess a Miles box would live and die on which specific albums are in it. Something early, something bop/cool, maybe an orchestraor soundtrack, a live album probably, an album with a also-famous collaborator like monk or trane or whoever -- miles worked with everybody after all, something from the electric period and one of the latter day albums no one really talks about so you can call it "an overlooked gem" in the press materials.
Maybe they will put Kind of Blue in it??

Haven't the other anthologies that were just for a single artist really played it safe and were more geared towards people new to the artist with maybe something thrown in to grab the more hardcore fan? I'm not that familiar with all the artists included but recall reading here about how some choices were disappointing?
I don't think they played it safe really in most cases. Sometimes the artist themselves curated the set (Herbie and Quincy). I'd say Quincy's actually didn't play it safe and skipped some of his biggest albums that most people have. Herbie had some albums in it that people likely already had (Headhunters) but skipped out on some stuff people really wanted (Empyrean Isles, some of his fusion stuff like Thrust/Sextant/Flood).

It's extremely hard to curate a box set of someone as influential as those people and Miles. If you don't include some of their seminal works, it's hard to call it a proper anthology (how do you tell the story of Miles without Kind of Blue?) but at the same time most people probably own a really good sounding copy of those albums.

Herbie was a mixture of fairly common releases along with some rarer stuff... although in that case, it was Herbie himself who had final say over what album would or would not be included in the set.

Worked out well for me personally, because only one album in that set was a dupe for me, and in that case it was still a notable upgrade.

Can verify, it sounds great. And I know @Edd's store/site is dead right now, but if he still has copies on-hand (it's where I got mine from earlier this year) maybe he might be able to sell them through Paypal or some other way.
Thanks. I still have a few sam records but not this one. Check it out on discogs. :)

I already know this is going to go exactly how the Herbie anthology went. I’ll have good copies of most of the albums in the set but there is going to be 1 or 2 that pull me in and I’m going to spend way too much money on it.

I don't think they played it safe really in most cases. Sometimes the artist themselves curated the set (Herbie and Quincy). I'd say Quincy's actually didn't play it safe and skipped some of his biggest albums that most people have. Herbie had some albums in it that people likely already had (Headhunters) but skipped out on some stuff people really wanted (Empyrean Isles, some of his fusion stuff like Thrust/Sextant/Flood).

It's extremely hard to curate a box set of someone as influential as those people and Miles. If you don't include some of their seminal works, it's hard to call it a proper anthology (how do you tell the story of Miles without Kind of Blue?) but at the same time most people probably own a really good sounding copy of those albums.

So what do we think it'll be? Here's a wild stab in the dark:

- Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet (A Prestige album of the Great quintet and Workin' didn't get done by AP so that one makes some sense.)
- Kind of Blue (This seems essential to any Miles Anthology)
- Quiet Nights (Need a Gil Evans colab and Quiet Nights doesn't have a recent reissue, so that makes sense)
- Nefertiti (Need a Second Quintet album and Nefertiti is my fav)
- In a Silent Way (This seems essential and because Storf said so?)
- Get Up With It (Need a Fusion album and Get Up With It only has a MOV reissue)
- Dark Magus? (Figure there will be a Live album of some sort; don't think this one has been done recently)
- Music From Siesta? (An 80s album but all the Columbia ones are getting reissued right now, so...?)

I already know this is going to go exactly how the Herbie anthology went. I’ll have good copies of most of the albums in the set but there is going to be 1 or 2 that pull me in and I’m going to spend way too much money on it.

One thing I did when there were rumblings of a Herbie set was I held off on looking/buying more albums. I had been waiting around for the next Blue Note/Target/whatever sale to pick up "Takin' Off" but I held off just to see what was gonna be on the set. Worked out well for me in that regard.

So I guess I'm now on a Miles moratorium for the time being. In a Silent Way has been one of those "need to pick up sooner or later" albums on my list as has been Kind of Blue (my current copy is a bootleg whoops) so I'd be cool with either or both of those showing up, even if they are among his more common albums.

- Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet (A Prestige album of the Great quintet and Workin' didn't get done by AP so that one makes some sense.)
- Quiet Nights (Need a Gil Evans colab and Quiet Nights doesn't have a recent reissue, so that makes sense)
- Get Up With It (Need a Fusion album and Get Up With It only has a MOV reissue)
- Dark Magus? (Figure there will be a Live album of some sort; don't think this one has been done recently)
- Music From Siesta? (An 80s album but all the Columbia ones are getting reissued right now, so...?)
these are all solid choices and good reasoning.

I'd guess that agharta/pangea would be in consideration in dark magus' spot -- live, latter-day, fusion stuff, no great pressings readily available

I'd guess that agharta/pangea would be in consideration in dark magus' spot -- live, latter-day, fusion stuff, no great pressings readily available
the MOV of Agharta is actually pretty good. pretty challenging listen though IMO. I have only spun it once since I bought it.

One thing I did when there were rumblings of a Herbie set was I held off on looking/buying more albums. I had been waiting around for the next Blue Note/Target/whatever sale to pick up "Takin' Off" but I held off just to see what was gonna be on the set. Worked out well for me in that regard.

So I guess I'm now on a Miles moratorium for the time being. In a Silent Way has been one of those "need to pick up sooner or later" albums on my list as has been Kind of Blue (my current copy is a bootleg whoops) so I'd be cool with either or both of those showing up, even if they are among his more common albums.
Lots of great cheap versions of KoB. This one is solid and often very cheap:

I have a feeling that Craft has something going on with Workin where they will reissue it. Unless something is wrong with the tapes. I don't think a good version has been done since the AP a long time ago but it was left out of the Prestige series for some reason even though I think all the other Quintet albums were in there.

the MOV of Agharta is actually pretty good. pretty challenging listen though IMO. I have only spun it once since I bought it.

I have the MOV of Agharta and it sounds really good. And yes it's a wild album, best enjoyed with some edibles.

Back