Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

By all means, share away. One of my hopes is that someone will eventually see the video who knows more about Claudia, her life, or even the other person in the photos, who is still a mystery.
I've been lurking here for awhile. I loved this album and was intrigued by its story, just did some genealogy research in a fit of insomnia, and found the real Claudia!

I searched high school yearbook pictures on Ancestry.com for a Claudia Thompson born between 1920-1940, found her picture surprisingly quickly, and researched from there. She was born Claudia Marie Thompson on Dec 31, 1936 in Los Angeles, and graduated from Los Angeles High School in 1955. Her mother was a teacher and activist, and created a musical reading program called Phonetic Rock (her LA Times obituary). Claudia married fellow jazz musician Ira Temple Thomas III in 1962, and they continued to sing and be involved in local jazz scenes (they were members of the Austin and then Las Vegas Jazz Societies).

Ira T. Thomas died in 2014 and his obituary is here. It lead me to their website, where she confirmed she was the Claudia Thompson: The IC2 BOUTIQUE. You can see there that they sold self released CDs (including Goodbye to Love) and a memoir via mail order. They also both sang on her mother's phonetic rock project, which I just ordered.

Sadly, Claudia Thompson Thomas died on July 30, 2020--her burial information is at Claudia T Thomas (1936-2020) - Find a Grave... and she doesn't have a real obituary, just this.

Last edited:
I've been lurking here for awhile. I loved this album and was intrigued by its story, just did some genealogy research in a fit of insomnia, and found the real Claudia!

I searched high school yearbook pictures on Ancestry.com for a Claudia Thompson born between 1920-1940, found her picture surprisingly quickly, and researched from there. She was born Claudia Marie Thompson on Dec 31, 1936 in Los Angeles, and graduated from Los Angeles High School in 1955. Her mother was a teacher and activist, and created a musical reading program called Phonetic Rock (her LA Times obituary). Claudia married fellow jazz musician Ira Temple Thomas III in 1962, and they continued to sing and be involved in local jazz scenes (they were members of the Austin and then Las Vegas Jazz Societies).

Ira T. Thomas died in 2014 and his obituary is here. It lead me to their website, where she confirmed she was the Claudia Thompson: The IC2 BOUTIQUE. You can see there that they sold self released CDs (including Goodbye to Love) and a memoir via mail order. They also both sang on her mother's phonetic rock project, which I just ordered.

Sadly, Claudia Thompson Thomas died on July 30, 2020--her burial information is at Claudia T Thomas (1936-2020) - Find a Grave... and she doesn't have a real obituary, just this.
I really hope someone actually reissues the vinyl, with proper royalties paid out, and keeps it in print not just limited coloured vinyl pressings.

Holy shit. Amazing bit of research! Man seeing her website makes things bittersweet. We were just a little too late.

I might still send an email to that address. Maybe a relative still maintains it. I really want to read her bio.

Holy shit. Amazing bit of research! Man seeing her website makes things bittersweet. We were just a little too late.

I might still send an email to that address. Maybe a relative still maintains it. I really want to read her bio.
It's so bittersweet. I searched the albums and the book to see if they were for sale anywhere else. I couldn't find the music but the memoir is available on Kindle/Kindle Unlimited: Amazon product ASIN B004S81Q9YTo check if it was really the memoir I requested a free sample--the sample starts with her husband's childhood then goes up to the album's release. She was "terribly hurt" about the cover photo but "advised not to make trouble." And then she had to pay to get released from her contract after that!

Last edited:
Stepped out of the shadows and grabbed Cash, Withers, Willie, and Lyle this month lol

Will soon cancel. Also, all the uproar about that Lightnin' but do we really think it will sound bad?
Grabbed Modest Mouse, Lightnin' and Blackalicious.

I'm a little wary about Lightnin'. It will probably sound great, the question is "Is GZ capable of putting out a record without surface noise?". I'd put it at 60-40 that there will be some surface noise, in which case I'm going to be on first name basis with CS reps until I get one that doesn't have it, or store credit.

I think the majority of Lightnin will sound great, the recent Meters press was wonderful with a couple outliers. But with GZ theres always going to be someone playing replacement roulette for what its worth. I'm taking a chance on it and ordering the AP Lightnin Hopkins - Goin Away to give myself a lovely little Blues care package!

I think the majority of Lightnin will sound great, the recent Meters press was wonderful with a couple outliers. But with GZ theres always going to be someone playing replacement roulette for what its worth. I'm taking a chance on it and ordering the AP Lightnin Hopkins - Goin Away to give myself a lovely little Blues care package!
Same and same.

tough choice. Deciding between keeping the modest mouse, or getting Barbara Lea. Possibly also considering the miles and Coltrane but idk.
fwiw, when I'm in the mood for Miles I have NEVER reached for that live album, I've spun that one like 3 or 4 times in the 4 years I've had it... I've already spun that Barbara Lea like 5-6 times in a month

was really hoping to swap for Bill Withers (paused my subscription when +'Justments was ROTM) but got there a moment too late - it was still visible as a swaption but the system wouldn't let me save it

Back