Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

My bad. Sorry for derailing the thread by bringing up Canadian politics. Back on topic...

I just received the VMP Bill Withers - Just As I Am exclusive...which I ordered in May. (I actually meant to cancel and find a Speakers Corner version, but I kinda forgot.) After a first spin, it's sounds very good; almost a little too clean on the mastering to my ears, but that just might be how it was originally recorded. And obviously the music itself is a 10/10. Oddly the VMP page for it is now a 404, but the 'cogs entry has most all the info except where it was pressed. Anyone remember? (Despite not having any crackle or pops, I'm going to assume GZ.)

Also received MMW - Uninvisible a couple weeks back. That sounds freaking awesome. For the price ($50?!), it would've been nice to have been a gatefold, instead of a wide-pocket, but musically and sonically it's home run. Would love to hear their Gramavision stuff on vinyl at some point.
Uninvisible really is glorious.

noticed avalanches is on sale in the store for $35 instead of $50 now. not sure how it compares to prices elsewhere though.

Yeah, there's a bunch of new sale items. May be worth checking out if you were holding out for something that's been in stock a while.

❗❗❗3 MORE COPIES LEFT OF DADAWAH’s PEACE & LOVE - WADADASOW ❗❗❗

Quickly grab a copy before it’s gone because this roots reggae album is an absolute classic and this pressing sounds great!!! 🚨🚨🚨

❗❗❗3 MORE COPIES LEFT OF DADAWAH’s PEACE & LOVE - WADADASOW ❗❗❗

Quickly grab a copy before it’s gone because this roots reggae album is an absolute classic and this pressing sounds great!!! 🚨🚨🚨

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I’m listening to it on my way to work & just grabbed a copy with store credit.

There appears to be at least one more copy available….so I’d like to second Nathan’s recommendation. It’s excellent & it seems as if this is the only reissue of the unique mix made for the original U.K. Trojan pressing.

These are the kind of exclusives I like grabbing with the store credit I build up when I’m not feeling VMP’s curated tracks.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I’m listening to it on my way to work & just grabbed a copy with store credit.

There appears to be at least one more copy available….so I’d like to second Nathan’s recommendation. It’s excellent & it seems as if this is the only reissue of the unique mix made for the original U.K. Trojan pressing.

These are the kind of exclusives I like grabbing with the store credit I build up when I’m not feeling VMP’s curated tracks.
It’s sold out, so I’m really happy you were able to score a copy before they were all gone! You’ll love listening to this one on wax! It sounds really good! 😎🛶🏝

Received my copy of the VMP Strand of Oaks exclusive. Last track on side A has some sticky shit pressed into the grooves. It doesn't come off. Also, the record is pretty bowled. Another video, picture, and message sent to VMP customer service.

Think I am officially done with this service. Granted, this one isn't reeeeally their fault. But, after going through 2 Mars Volta, 2 Outkasts, 2 Lee Morgans, 2 MMWs, and now Strand of Oaks. FFS, I'm tired of contacting customer service. And I'm feeling so unlucky.

Maybe this is the universe telling me I should switch back to compact discs.

Received my copy of the VMP Strand of Oaks exclusive. Last track on side A has some sticky shit pressed into the grooves. It doesn't come off. Also, the record is pretty bowled. Another video, picture, and message sent to VMP customer service.

Think I am officially done with this service. Granted, this one isn't reeeeally their fault. But, after going through 2 Mars Volta, 2 Outkasts, 2 Lee Morgans, 2 MMWs, and now Strand of Oaks. FFS, I'm tired of contacting customer service. And I'm feeling so unlucky.

Maybe this is the universe telling me I should switch back to compact discs.
Just got a Bluesound Node and a Tidal membership and have barely touched my records frankly. The fidelity feels like 90% of vinyl SQ. Also have loved not having the anxiety around distracting surface noise, warps, scratches, and crappy pressings. It’s been bliss. Being completely honest, my wife and I both agree it has been the best audio gear investment we’ve made so far. That may be blasphemy but 🤷🏼‍♂️

Just got a Bluesound Node and a Tidal membership and have barely touched my records frankly. The fidelity feels like 90% of vinyl SQ. Also have loved not having the anxiety around distracting surface noise, warps, scratches, and crappy pressings. It’s been bliss. Being completely honest, my wife and I both agree it has been the best audio gear investment we’ve made so far. That may be blasphemy but 🤷🏼‍♂️
Yeah, I bought some cheap used CDs this past weekend. One being a Medeski, Martin, and Wood album from the 90s (before the loudness wars, I believe). Anyways, I was playing it my car today and was really impressed with how dynamic it sounded. I don't stream that often, though I do have access to a friend's Spotify family plan. Mostly use it to sample music. otherwise, I just cannot bring myself to pay for music streaming. The artists don't see much of a paycheck from streaming, and I'd rather just buy FLAC digi files from their bandcamp pages (better sound quality...maybe not better than Tidal, unsure.).

Last edited:
Yeah, I bought some cheap used CDs this past weekend. One being a Medeski, Martin, and Wood album from the 90s (before the loudness wars, I believe). Anyways, I was playing it my car today and was really impressed with how dynamic it sounded. I don't stream that often, though I do have access to a friend's Spotify family plan. Mostly use it to sample music. otherwise, I just cannot bring myself to pay for music streaming. The artists don't see much of a paycheck from streaming, and I'd rather just buy FLAC digi files from their bandcamp pages (better sound quality).
you can check out some stuff on The Dark Side; Digital Audio thread if you feel interested in dipping your toes into a digital setup. I personally do a mix of vinyl + high res digital. I buy a bunch of high res digital from bandcamp + stream older music through Qobuz which is one of the better services I think in terms of paying artists. You could figure out a pretty decent setup with Roon + a streamer/harddrive + some ripped CDs/bandcamp downloads.

you can check out some stuff on The Dark Side; Digital Audio thread if you feel interested in dipping your toes into a digital setup. I personally do a mix of vinyl + high res digital. I buy a bunch of high res digital from bandcamp + stream older music through Qobuz which is one of the better services I think in terms of paying artists. You could figure out a pretty decent setup with Roon + a streamer/harddrive + some ripped CDs/bandcamp downloads.
I will, thanks!

I used to run a strictly digital setup years ago. So I do have lossless and other hi-rez digi files, which I primarily play off of my phone these days. I use an LG V20 smartphone, which years ago was marketed towards smartphone users that wanted better audio quality. It has a ES9218 "quad DAC" in it and a Hi-Fi mode. It also is capable of driving higher impedance headphones. Honestly, it sounds pretty good with my low impedance Shure IEMs. The DAC does handle all the 24b-96k FLAC files I throw at it (apparently it will play 32bi-384k audio files as well [never tried though]), so I haven't really pursued any other (newer and better) digital audio players. Plus it has an expandable micro-SD and internal 64 GB storage, so plenty of room for lossless files.

Yeah, I bought some cheap used CDs this past weekend. One being a Medeski, Martin, and Wood album from the 90s (before the loudness wars, I believe). Anyways, I was playing it my car today and was really impressed with how dynamic it sounded. I don't stream that often, though I do have access to a friend's Spotify family plan. Mostly use it to sample music. otherwise, I just cannot bring myself to pay for music streaming. The artists don't see much of a paycheck from streaming, and I'd rather just buy FLAC digi files from their bandcamp pages (better sound quality...maybe not better than Tidal, unsure.).
For what it’s worth, Tidal centers it’s business around Hi-Fi steams and paying artists the highest streaming rates. They’re also integrating Square into the platform to further enhance monetization options for musicians. If you’re going to give your money to a service Tidal is the one actually looking out for musicians!6C670765-5CE4-459D-9A83-CB2E26849C46.png

For what it’s worth, Tidal centers it’s business around Hi-Fi steams and paying artists the highest streaming rates. They’re also integrating Square into the platform to further enhance monetization options for musicians. If you’re going to give your money to a service Tidal is the one actually looking out for musicians!View attachment 114022
I don’t have too much room to talk since I mostly still use file sharing to procure most of my digital files but making a bit over a penny per stream feels like it’s only good when compared to the far shittier compensation artists are receiving from other services.

For what it’s worth, Tidal centers it’s business around Hi-Fi steams and paying artists the highest streaming rates. They’re also integrating Square into the platform to further enhance monetization options for musicians. If you’re going to give your money to a service Tidal is the one actually looking out for musicians!View attachment 114022
not sure if TIdal started paying more, but last I checked, Qobuz pays artists $0.044 per stream vs Tidal's $0.01. Either way, @zdkaiser is right haha. Both are kinda pathetic amounts to pay musicians for something they created. Artists probably end up making more overall money from Spotify and Tidal just since they have the biggest market shares for streaming + hi-fi streaming compared to Qobuz, but I think Qobuz is one of, if not the best, for paying artists. Bandcamp also tends to pay artists really well so that's usually my first stop when buying records/merch/digital high res.

not sure if TIdal started paying more, but last I checked, Qobuz pays artists $0.044 per stream vs Tidal's $0.01. Either way, @zdkaiser is right haha. Both are kinda pathetic amounts to pay musicians for something they created. Artists probably end up making more overall money from Spotify and Tidal just since they have the biggest market shares for streaming + hi-fi streaming compared to Qobuz, but I think Qobuz is one of, if not the best, for paying artists. Bandcamp also tends to pay artists really well so that's usually my first stop when buying records/merch/digital high res.
I think Bandcamp only takes like 10% of the purchase price which is comparable to a venues cut from a merch table and that seems exceptionally fair given the current way things are handled.

Didn’t realize that about Qobuz! Definitely an option to consider in that case. I agree that none of these numbers are particularly generous and agree streaming has altered the musical landscape as a whole. I buy from Bandcamp when available and have of course spent an ungodly amount on vinyl to justify a streaming membership. I just wanted to point out to those on the fence that there are players in the game actively working to address the compensation issue. Tidal seems to be innovating around it which makes it very easy to support them for me!

Back