Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I seem to be in the minority here but in my opinion Veckatimest is one of the few essentials releases that actually deserves the label. This used to be a universally loved album. Not sure where all of this hate is coming from.

Obviously the QC issues lately make a botched pressing seem very possible, but if they manage to get it right this time this looks like it’ll be the definitive version of a classic album……to me 😀
Oh yeah, I love this record… Not enough to “upgrade” my perfectly fine original pressing but if I didn’t already own a copy and had faith that VMP could deliver a defect free pressing I would be in on this.

Oh yeah, I love this record… Not enough to “upgrade” my perfectly fine original pressing but if I didn’t already own a copy and had faith that VMP could deliver a defect free pressing I would be in on this.
I actually don’t have Veckatimest or Shields but I have heard the original copies plenty of times with friends throughout the years. I always thought that Grizzly Bear’s albums sounded great on vinyl so yeah I’m not getting the Essentials or the store drops since they probably won’t improve upon the originals. Plus you can get them all for pretty cheap if I’m not mistaken.

If you already had Veckatimest which other Grizzly Bear album would you consider swapping for?
While I enjoy Horn Of Plenty it’s basically a Grizzly Bear album in name only, more of a Lo-fi Ed Droste solo album. Yellow House was their first album as an actual band incorporating Daniel Rossen, Chris Taylor, and Christopher Bear into the album production. The beautiful harmonies and exquisite instrumentation starts there. If you enjoy Veckatimest then Yellow House would be a good album to follow up with.

I actually don’t have Veckatimest or Shields but I have heard the original copies plenty of times with friends throughout the years. I always thought that Grizzly Bear’s albums sounded great on vinyl so yeah I’m not getting the Essentials or the store drops since they probably won’t improve upon the originals. Plus you can get them all for pretty cheap if I’m not mistaken.
I have an original Veckatimest as well and it sounds good but since it was almost definitely recorded digitally it can certainly be improved upon. With the new release being half speed remastered and 45rpm, it would take a pretty shitty mastering engineer to make it sound worse. My money is on it being a significant improvement. Buuuuuuuut we shall see.

Last edited:
I have an original Veckatimest as well and it’s sounds good but since it was almost definitely recorded digitally it can certainly be improved upon. With the new release being half speed remastered and 45rpm, it would take a pretty shitty mastering engineer to make it sound worse. My money is on it being a significant improvement. Buuuuuuuut we shall see.
They recorded it on tape. I remember it leaked before the official release and grizzly bear was kinda mad because they had spent so much time on the sound and details and the leak sounded like a lo-fi bedroom recording

edit: here's the quote from Ed:
We knew it was gonna leak and we were prepared for that, but really, the biggest bummer for us was that we spent a lot of time and put a lot of effort into making sure that it's a really rich recording — recording it to tape and doing all these nice sonic details — and then it leaked and I remember listening to it and it sounded like an underwater YouTube stream or something. It was really, really bad. And so it's just a bummer to think of everyone's first impressions of this album being this horribly compressed, terrible-quality version of the album.

They recorded it on tape. I remember it leaked before the official release and grizzly bear was kinda mad because they had spent so much time on the sound and details and the leak sounded like a lo-fi bedroom recording

edit: here's the quote from Ed:
We knew it was gonna leak and we were prepared for that, but really, the biggest bummer for us was that we spent a lot of time and put a lot of effort into making sure that it's a really rich recording — recording it to tape and doing all these nice sonic details — and then it leaked and I remember listening to it and it sounded like an underwater YouTube stream or something. It was really, really bad. And so it's just a bummer to think of everyone's first impressions of this album being this horribly compressed, terrible-quality version of the album.
Well well welllllll! I did not know that. Interesting. I guess we don’t know if it was mastered all analogue? Or do we???

Well well welllllll! I did not know that. Interesting. I guess we don’t know if it was mastered all analogue? Or do we???
I think Alchemy has the capacity to do an AAA release but I’m putting my money on a digital source. Even if Grizzly Bear recorded to tape, it was probably transferred to a high quality digital source for ease of mastering.

I think Alchemy has the capacity to do an AAA release but I’m putting my money on a digital source. Even if Grizzly Bear recorded to tape, it was probably transferred to a high quality digital source for ease of mastering.
This is my guess as well. We will likely find out tomorrow!

This is correct. If they waited until next Thursday, it'd literally fall on the last day of the month.
Makes sense. It feels like they’ve done “release days” on Tuesdays too though. Just seemed early, don’t remember the swap period being that long before.

Back