Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Local record stores are the best. My favorite is Main Street Music in Manayunk outside Philly. It's a 2-hour drive, but so worth it just to talk music with the employees. I drive an hour into Maryland to hit Frederick sometimes. That place has three small record shops in one block, and it's always free beer Saturdays at one if them. As soon as they hear the door open, you hear, "Beers in the cooler!" Everybody's drinking a beer and digging through their bins. It's a little slice of heaven, and if you don't find anything, that's cool, there's two more stores to get through.

Local record stores are the best. My favorite is Main Street Music in Manayunk outside Philly. It's a 2-hour drive, but so worth it just to talk music with the employees. I drive an hour into Maryland to hit Frederick sometimes. That place has three small record shops in one block, and it's always free beer Saturdays at one if them. As soon as they hear the door open, you hear, "Beers in the cooler!" Everybody's drinking a beer and digging through their bins. It's a little slice of heaven, and if you don't find anything, that's cool, there's two more stores to get through.
Ooh which shops in Frederick? My bro lives around there. Might have to swing by next time I go visit!

They were a great company between 2014 - 2017 and then it all fell apart. They'll have been the gateway for lots of people to record collecting too.
The demise started around the time Lloyd Starr came on board. Maybe it was starting to go downhill before that but I remember him being hired, then the forum being killed and the rest is history.

They were a great company between 2014 - 2017 and then it all fell apart. They'll have been the gateway for lots of people to record collecting too.

I feel bad for the kids that they've brainwashed in a lot of ways though. There are so many I see on Reddit that simply can't think records and music beyond what vmp has offered.

The decline began when Sev got the boot.

Didn't he jack it in because he thought VMP was moving away from the community centric model. Pretty sure I can remember him posting something to the effect of how he didnt want to go with them in the direction they're taking. But yeah. That was the turning point when it became less club and more sprawling goatfuck

Didn't he jack it in because he thought VMP was moving away from the community centric model. Pretty sure I can remember him posting something to the effect of how he didnt want to go with them in the direction they're taking. But yeah. That was the turning point when it became less club and more sprawling goatfuck

He got sacked for having different opinions on the direction of the company. He didn't want to leave and was gutted for a good while. VMP was his baby.

I've actually developed a great relationship with my local during this pandemic and look forward to spending even more there in the future! They actually just reopened this week so I'm looking forward to maybe actually going inside instead of doing curbside pickups! Having this weight lifted off my chest not having to deal with all the issues that come with being a member of VMP is really going to make record collecting fun again! Just need to start listening more than buying, the backlog is getting out of hand!

Here's what my e-mail shows:

View attachment 60309
@Skalap I think I saw earlier you were wondering about international "bridge" discounts. Looks like this is it. So pretty much the same as the original prices for us, but likely just a one time deal then it goes up. So assuming they don't go out of business within a year (certainly possible) the best deal is the year rate which is pretty close to where it's always been.

We're all laughing at them being crap and probably going bust soon (myself included) but there are some good people working there and it'll be sad if they lose their jobs, doubly so in the current economic climate.

I totally agree. I wrote my first message here a few days ago to defend Storf because I think people give him a lot of shit and act like he's the one making all the decisions. (Despite the magazine articles, I wonder how much say he really has in the curation.) Now I'm here trashing a company that I think deserves to go under. I don't know Storf--maybe he is a jerk--but even still, it's hard not to feel bad for him and for Paulie. I'm sure they're underpaid but were happy to work in the industry and for a company they thought was pretty awesome. Now they must see the writing on the wall. Morale there cannot be good, and I feel bad for those kids.

hows record shopping post-covid? I haven't stepped in one since sometimes last year. Are shops now offering their catalogs online? Are stores near you open with distancing?

This is what I'm still owed...

Fiona x 2
Eugene McDaniels
Fanny
Caesar Frazier
The Doors
Grateful Dead Anthology

Plus Buena Vista Social Club/The Bar-Kays and Spiritualized

I should be getting most of it this month...but we'll see.

and the Margo Guryan i just bought. :whistle:

(why don't we have the hiding under a chair emoji?)

Back