Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I had been a member from November 2017 till May 2019 and again since March this year. I had the email, but no mentioning of any discounted prices. My membership is still up until end of August, so it could have to do with this. However, I think it's not a good idea by VMP to send out these price increase and add-on increase emails without at least offering discounts to long term members.

I certainly wouldn't go for a year. Too dangerous. I'm not sure if monthly subscriptions will still be available. If I really wanted a certain RotM I would just do monthly. The worst is that add-ons have become so expensive, it takes away the best part of the membership in my opinion.

Supposedly they are sending the offer out as your due for renewal. As you are this month you should already have yours according to them on socials.

Monthly is back = $52 There doesn’t appear to be an existing subs discount at all on that tier.

I’m a little salty that it’s happening as they release the first essentials in 10 months that I actually want, I might have gone to $40 or an old price 3 month for a good copy of that spiritualized record, but maybe that’s a good omen that I wasn’t supposed to buy it from them and that there’s a good non plain wider pressing coming down the line.

I haven't yet but believe I read that you're supposed to receive the offer on the final month of your subscription (mine is due to renew end of September, and the other October).

The post by @Rowan has a breakdown of the new rates (discount and non discount) in GBP at the top of the page if it helps.

It's so counter intuitive though. Free shipping was a large boon but records being hiked in price means a double whammy of ordering less (and paying more) while also getting less use of that original delivery perk as a result. So they not only raised prices but the knock on effect is diminishing the only other incentive people had lol

Totally bizarre and jumping in blind for a year feels like a large gamble knowing their issues to date and with the prices of buying additional records in mind.

Interested to know your thoughts!
Ah cheers for that, my sub comes to an end at the end of next month so by the end out august I should have something.

Ok, where do I stand on all this? I've been an advocate for VMP since the beginning. I'm sure you have also found that in the UK record prices are almost always more than those in the US (it might just be a quid here and there, but still more). Being able to obtain records, including standard releases in the past, at cheaper rates than here before you even take into account shipping was a huge 'win' for me for several years. I have certainly made use of that, including buying a pair of Kanto YU6 speakers from them for less than I could find them here in the UK (plus a discount code on top), in the colour I wanted (which wasn't available here) and with free shipping. While I haven't always been a fan of the curation, I have genuinely widened my tastes because of the club which was one of the key aims I was hoping for at the beginning. In the beginning, they really did feel like a club and the forum became a massive massive part of that for me. When they shut it down I too was sickened and pissed off at VMP, and the reason I stayed was that their releases are usually good, good prices, CS always fixes issues (warps/bends ect) and I never joined for the forum anyway as I didn't know it existed.

As soon as the prices become unreasonable (ie more than it would cost for a similar product over here) then it's just not worth subscribing any more. They really have shot themselves in the foot as I cant see how the extra money coming in from existing subscribers will balance out the revenue lost from everyone leaving. If I was offered up a rate that was similar to what I am paying now I would likely stay. As much as we all like to slag them off I do think their packages are good (although curation has dropped in my opinion). I will have to see, in all likelihood I will be looking at a significant price hike and cancel for good.

UK customer here. The add on tracks and free shipping were where it was at for me. If the bridge discount is a thing for me when it comes to renewal time, I’ll probably go for it (I do 3 months currently). But, I’ll probably drop the add ons. To be honest, was it all a bit too cheap at times? I know I certainly got my money’s worth and more probably. I’ll miss that good deal for sure- it was excellent value while it lasted!

They really have shot themselves in the foot as I cant see how the extra money coming in from existing subscribers will balance out the revenue lost from everyone leaving.

My cynicism says that a 50% increase allows you to lose 1/3 customers, maintain revenue and have lesser production costs. Add to the fact that it’s made international subs all but unsustainable and you can add in likely saved postal costs too.

Supposedly they are sending the offer out as your due for renewal. As you are this month you should already have yours according to them on socials.

Monthly is back = $52 There doesn’t appear to be an existing subs discount at all on that tier.

I’m a little salty that it’s happening as they release the first essentials in 10 months that I actually want, I might have gone to $40 or an old price 3 month for a good copy of that spiritualized record, but maybe that’s a good omen that I wasn’t supposed to buy it from them and that there’s a good non plain wider pressing coming down the line.

Yes the monthly subscription of $52 sounds very crazy for a non- audiophile record. There are so many places where even limited colored vinyl can be bought for a lot less. And I don't feel good in supporting them anymore. I can't understand how they think it'll work to increase both the subscription fee and the add-on tracks (and probably they will also increase the price of store items soon)? It really sounds to me like they are in desperate need of cash coming in, and that's why I'm doubtful they're still around in one year. It even feels a bit like an act of self destruction to me.

I will try to pick up that Spiritualized as my last record from them. I'm sure that there will be a good non plain version coming up later anyway. Fingers crossed you get it elswhere. 🤞

My cynicism says that a 50% increase allows you to lose 1/3 customers, maintain revenue and have less production costs. Add to the fact that it’s made international subs all but unsustainable and you can add in likely saved postal costs too.
I think VMP are going to lose more than 50% of it's customers by the start of October! I think more than 15,000 current subscribers will leave! The price jump with little explanation and just all the communication issues they've had, like its too much money they're asking.

Yes the monthly subscription of $52 sounds very crazy for a non- audiophile record. There are so many places where even limited colored vinyl can be bought for a lot less. And I don't feel good in supporting them anymore. I can't understand how they think it'll work to increase both the subscription fee and the add-on tracks (and probably they will also increase the price of store items soon)? It really sounds to me like they are in desperate need of cash coming in, and that's why I'm doubtful they're still around in one year. It even feels a bit like an act of self destruction to me.

I will try to pick up that Spiritualized as my last record from them. I'm sure that there will be a good non plain version coming up later anyway. Fingers crossed you get it elswhere. 🤞

I hope I can, or that I can do a deal with someone on here still subbed who doesn’t want it at the lower price + postage! I really hope that you enjoy yours and look the worst that happens is that I have to keep relying on the playing copy from plain that maybe dynamically flat but still plays through.

I think they will be around for more than a year because they've sold out of half of their Essential ROTM's so far (Buena Vista Social Club, The White Stripes, Stevie Nicks, The Stooges), and half of their Classics and R&HH ROTM's have sold out too. Like I just have a feeling they are doing well financially even though they've had some hurdles such as the Grateful Dead Boxset + Site Migration crisis.

I think VMP are going to lose more than 50% of it's customers by the start of October! I think more than 15,000 current subscribers will leave! The price jump with little explanation and just all the communication issues they've had, like its too much money they're asking.

You don’t do measured do you Nathan, it’s all hyperbole one way or the other...

Ah cheers for that, my sub comes to an end at the end of next month so by the end out august I should have something.

Ok, where do I stand on all this? I've been an advocate for VMP since the beginning. I'm sure you have also found that in the UK record prices are almost always more than those in the US (it might just be a quid here and there, but still more). Being able to obtain records, including standard releases in the past, at cheaper rates than here before you even take into account shipping was a huge 'win' for me for several years. I have certainly made use of that, including buying a pair of Kanto YU6 speakers from them for less than I could find them here in the UK (plus a discount code on top), in the colour I wanted (which wasn't available here) and with free shipping. While I haven't always been a fan of the curation, I have genuinely widened my tastes because of the club which was one of the key aims I was hoping for at the beginning. In the beginning, they really did feel like a club and the forum became a massive massive part of that for me. When they shut it down I too was sickened and pissed off at VMP, and the reason I stayed was that their releases are usually good, good prices, CS always fixes issues (warps/bends ect) and I never joined for the forum anyway as I didn't know it existed.

As soon as the prices become unreasonable (ie more than it would cost for a similar product over here) then it's just not worth subscribing any more. They really have shot themselves in the foot as I cant see how the extra money coming in from existing subscribers will balance out the revenue lost from everyone leaving. If I was offered up a rate that was similar to what I am paying now I would likely stay. As much as we all like to slag them off I do think their packages are good (although curation has dropped in my opinion). I will have to see, in all likelihood I will be looking at a significant price hike and cancel for good.
Good post, cheers. I wish I’d have been into this a few years back for the journey (and missed awesome records!). Managed to have a good mini run and picked up a load of decent records but it’s a bummer to be forced out with these changes. Seems as though they really feel like they’re worth £40 a record and I just do not see that from my experience of them the last ~4 months.

It's kinda where VMP was when I started with it 5 ish years ago though. Im pretty sure that swaps weren't vast at the time (mainly because they had less exclusives other than the RoMs) and the cost was ball park £25 ish for the sole sub. Most the store was curated picks at decent prices and they were churning out stuff like Ben Webster's Soulville (possibly still my fave all time RoM) Big Bill Bronzy, Wells Fargo, lesser known Weezer and Wilco albums... It was cool. The community was cool, the customer service was always a bit ropey but they got there in the end (as my pile of Carseat Headrest C/D sides show) Indie Me Please.

I think one of its staff basically didn't like the direction the company was about to take and buggered off. Then the forums went, and then it quickly became Vader Me Please. All in 5 years. Crazy
Sounds like a good time back then! As it stood for me coming into this late the decent international pricing was the saving grace among the issues. The reason to stay despite all the nonsense. Now it’s just expensive and the nonsense lol.

UK customer here. The add on tracks and free shipping were where it was at for me. If the bridge discount is a thing for me when it comes to renewal time, I’ll probably go for it (I do 3 months currently). But, I’ll probably drop the add ons. To be honest, was it all a bit too cheap at times? I know I certainly got my money’s worth and more probably. I’ll miss that good deal for sure- it was excellent value while it lasted!
The bridging discount would put the monthly record at about £28 and then £38 usually with any add-on being £30. The £28 I can see but it’s starting to stretch it knowing that my “free” shipping isn’t being used as much as I’m not buying as many records. Swaps are seemingly the same but either 50% or 100% more expensive depending on what you’re swapping (base or add on) for the same product.

So it’s whether 3x VMP picks for £28 a pop is worth it for the next re-up. I can’t see paying pretty much £40 for them making any sense with the swaps and add-ons as they are. Plus store releases going up in price as we’ve seen.

This will hit them hard. But I'm not even sure they "can" change the add-on track pricing inside any given subscription period. Part of the marketing for the subscription that I paid for was a "$23 add-on track".. now, while my subscription is active, they're changing the parameters of that subscription (to a $33 add-on track). This isn't any different than them changing other parameters.

I think they will be around for more than a year because they've sold out of half of their Essential ROTM's so far (Buena Vista Social Club, The White Stripes, Stevie Nicks, The Stooges), and half of their Classics and R&HH ROTM's have sold out too. Like I just have a feeling they are doing well financially even though they've had some hurdles such as the Grateful Dead Boxset + Site Migration crisis.

I am not as sure as you are. First they stupidly can ship 3 AotMs separately (+ potential other records ordered the same month). Then, due to their lack of quality control, logistic and so on, they have to ship several replacement copies, once again separately. i don't know how many subscribers receive damaged records (visually or sonically) and how many ask for a replacement but they definitely loose a lot of money every month just by lack of attention to very small details. I don't even take in count this Dead box or other high priced colored versions that are sitting somewhere taking dust.

This will hit them hard. But I'm not even sure they "can" change the add-on track pricing inside any given subscription period. Part of the marketing for the subscription that I paid for was a "$23 add-on track".. now, while my subscription is active, they're changing the parameters of that subscription (to a $33 add-on track). This isn't any different than them changing other parameters.

I’d be shocked if they didn’t have a standard clause allowing for that but with you having a penalty free cancellation option if you’re not happy. I’ve not read their t&c’s but I’ve never been subscribed to a service that doesn’t have that and have taken advantage of it a good few times with other companies.

You don’t do measured do you Nathan, it’s all hyperbole one way or the other...
It is measured! I am actually using my mind! 🧠🙂💡

I think VMP will stay around at least for another 12 months because they have so many subscribers and most of their releases sell well! Most people on this forum, including you, thought they wouldn't make it past June 2020, when they were having the store migration crisis! Look at them now, the Coronavirus pandemic and other hurdles get in the way but they still stay strong! I think VMP aren't going anywhere, despite the controversies/issues that arise with them! I am against the massive price hike, and was devastated, but I think VMP will still do well, even though they will lose a lot of customers.

I am not as sure as you are. First they stupidly can ship 3 AotMs separately (+ potential other records ordered the same month). Then, due to their lack of quality control, logistic and so on, they have to ship several replacement copies, once again separately. i don't know how many subscribers receive damaged records (visually or sonically) and how many ask for a replacement but they definitely loose a lot of money every month just by lack of attention to very small details. I don't even take in count this Dead box or other high priced colored versions that are sitting somewhere taking dust.

The multiple shipping has to be a real cost drain for them. It’s so weird that they stopped being able to do something that they always used to be able to do, so very weird. I think the replacements had to have been built into their business model, that’s been going on since well before we all got pissed off with them lol!

The multiple shipping has to be a real cost drain for them. It’s so weird that they stopped being able to do something that they always used to be able to do, so very weird. I think the replacements had to have been built into their business model, that’s been going on since well before we all got pissed off with them lol!

I believe they loose money, or at least don't make enough money to cover their charges, every time they have to ship a replacement copy to an International subscriber.

I think VMP will stay around at least for another 12 months because they have so many subscribers and most of their releases sell well! Most people on this forum, including you, thought they wouldn't make it past June 2020, when they were having the store migration crisis! Look at them now, the Coronavirus pandemic and other hurdles get in the way but they still stay strong! I think VMP aren't going anywhere, despite the controversies/issues that arise with them! I am against the massive price hike, and was devastated, but I think VMP will still do well, even though they will lose a lot of customers.

I’ve no doubt that you’re using your own mind, but that doesn’t translate to you being measured. You’re jumping to doomsday scenarios or over hyping with little real evidence to support either position.

Members with free subscription will probably keep their subscription yes.

I’ve no doubt that you’re using your own mind, but that doesn’t translate to you being measured. You’re jumping to doomsday scenarios or over hyping with little real evidence to support either position.
That is true! My evidence is that, when I think VMP faced their worst nightmare - the store migration crisis - that they could have potentially gone out of business quickly. But ever since, that quieted down, they've sold out of most of their Essential ROTM's (April, May, June & August have sold out/1st run sold out), and I feel like because they made it through the store migration, they will go far. And I think they are a really good company in what they offer and keep things really interesting.

Members with free subscription will probably keep their subscription yes.
Stop making me blush!!! I probably would still subscribe if I didn't have free subscription and would be arguing against this price hike (I mean who wouldn't). I'm just saying that I think VMP will still survive as a business for a long time because I believe that despite all their issues, unprofessionalism etc, they are such a unique business and offer amazing ROTM's. Like, yes it's overpriced now...but, they deliver mostly great pressings for great 'big' albums other services don't do every month.

Back