Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Also gunna add the weight is listed as standard so that means thin vinyl and there's no ship date but it's listed as a pre order. I have almost everything Shabaka has done on vinyl so although I want this and I can get it for free with credits, I'm drawing a line with this kind of predatory pricing and bullshit complete lack of ship date thing they seem to be doing now, I'll find it elsewhere.

Also gunna add the weight is listed as standard so that means thin vinyl and there's no ship date but it's listed as a pre order. I have almost everything Shabaka has done on vinyl so although I want this and I can get it for free with credits, I'm drawing a line with this kind of predatory pricing and bullshit complete lack of ship date thing they seem to be doing now, I'll find it elsewhere.

yeah I had to rely on Bull Moose’s listing to tell me it isn’t gonna be released until mid-March.

It might be worth it as a $23 swaption but no way am I paying full price for that.

Awesome. I want, but Impulse presses tend to suck recently and I've never heard of that pressing plant. A quick look on discogs shows them out of Texas and have very few albums pressed there over the past few years. My guess is this might be the replacement for the now shuttered Rainbo. Color me very sceptical.

I don't know what they are actually like, but definitely not using the old Rainbo plant. They had a feature in Wired, apparently using the latest in pressing plant technology from Canada. (Guaranteed no warps :) )

(edit - Just like the VMP guarantee, any guarantees may be imaginary)

I don't know what they are actually like, but definitely not using the old Rainbo plant. They had a feature in Wired, apparently using the latest in pressing plant technology from Canada. (Guaranteed no warps :) )

(edit - Just like the VMP guarantee, any guarantees may be imaginary)
That's interesting, but the article is 4 years old and if you look on discogs these guys aren't exactly churning out records. And those that they are, are generally very small indie runs or Fat Possum stuff. I hope it's good for those that bought but I'm staying out of this one.

That's interesting, but the article is 4 years old and if you look on discogs these guys aren't exactly churning out records. And those that they are, are generally very small indie runs or Fat Possum stuff. I hope it's good for those that bought but I'm staying out of this one.

Totally agree, I've never heard of them. Hopefully they do turn out to be good though, If the new pressing plant technology is rubbish, then we are like to see more and more crap records. The old pressing plants won't last forever.

I'm not trying to talk you into the pressing or anything, I agree with your points. But, people on discogs don't seem to be great at putting in deadwax info like that. Especially with the less common plants. I think every HDP pressing I have, I figured it out on my own (it is very easy) and a few of them I've edited on discogs.

What I've noticed lately that is weird is that I have quite a few pressings that have no deadwax info that tells you what plant it was pressed at, which is frustrating. Although I think I was looking at a "recommend pressing plants" list on Chicago Matering Service's site and there are lots I've never heard of so 🤷‍♂️ .

just wanted to share that i just bought a BB King Lucille on the vmp site...i thought it was out of stock...we'll see if it arrives in my box.

Finally caught up on this thread

Just wanted to say Congrats to Nathan.🍾🍻🎈🎉 Based on your previous posts about your VMP spending habits, it sounds like one free record a month is like a 15-20% discount for you overall, right? I hope it’s at least that much, haha.

I have to say, my first thought was “a free record every month for the rest of my life?where would I store them all?! What if they overran my apartment and I got trapped inside and died and no one found my body buried in the piles of free records?!” Then, cynically I thought that maybe they know they’re not going to stay in business much longer so it was more like a farewell gift that VMP wanted to sound like this hugely generous thing, but which might only amount to like 3 records total. I hope for your sake, though, that you’re able to milk the everloving shit out of it.

Sorry to hear about being let go from your job without warning. Hope you find something better real soon. Maybe you could go to Ireland and do an internship with JoeMac?

Waiting for Tonight IS a jam. I’m surprised you don’t like “Play” though from J. Lo. Those lyrics were made for you! 😂

I’m not a member, and I kinda want that Aretha Now but it took me so long to give up on Classics completionism that I don’t want to lose my resolve now. I tried quitting with Bobo, but then got suckered back in up through BB. But I just cannot abide Mr Hands.
Thanks Eric! 😘

Yeah, with the amount of vinyl I buy, id say it’s like a 20% discount each month 🙌😏🙏

Yeah, I’m not sure how long VMP will be around!!! Fingers crossed they exist forever! 🤞😹

I love the song “Play”! I recommended “On The 6” which doesn’t contain that song though! That song is on J.LO! Which I’m also looking forward to spinning! But yeah, you know I love a bit of a play! 😈🙈🎃😂

Maybe you could go to Ireland and do an internship with JoeMac?

I wish i could convince work to give me an intern. I have so much bloody admin that prevents me spending my day doing my primary responsibiliary, making decisions! That said I don’t think @NathanRicaud would be the right fit and I really don’t think he'd want to either be doing admin or working for me! 😂

Just pitching in on the Shabaka and the Ancestors. With the 25% it cost me £23 for a double LP including shipping.....that's pretty damn good IMO. Certainly pricey if it wasn't for the discount, but with it applied its decent.

I love everything Shabaka seems to put out and have been lucky enough to see him live 5 times now (and im seeing Shabaka and the Ancestors in the summer) so I was really excited for this album. We talked earlier in the Jazz thread and initially I was going to wait for the standard press even though I would have normally of gone for the test pressing or signed copies from his site but the shipping and the fact that its from the US (which is strange) would of made it way way too expensive. On this occasion, the VMP drop has worked out perfectly.

The only thing that does concern me is the release date. We had to wait about 6 months AFTER the standard release date for the John Coltrane - Blue World. I do believe they warned us of this to be fair though.

I wish i could convince work to give me an intern. I have so much bloody admin that prevents me spending my day doing my primary responsibiliary, making decisions! That said I don’t think @NathanRicaud would be the right fit and I really don’t think he'd want to either be doing admin or working for me! 😂
I would love to work for you Joe because I think I would really enjoy your company! I think I would love your personality and I think we would also have a lot in common! And, I also think I would be excellent at admin! 👨‍💼

I would love to work for you Joe because I think I would really enjoy your company! I think I would love your personality and I think we would also have a lot in common! And, I also think I would be excellent at admin! 👨‍💼

Hahaha! Beware you might talk yourself into a job answering my phone, opening my post, typing out my letters and doing my photocopying...

Hahaha! Beware you might talk yourself into a job answering my phone, opening my post, typing out my letters and doing my photocopying...
Yeah, I’m cool with that! I think I’d honestly prefer that than warehousing! Not even joking!

If/when this happens, we need a film crew to capture the magic. We are talking can't miss reality TV right here...

FYI, Bull Moose ships you things when you order them.

Why in the world are people still giving VMP money?

I'm critical of VMP, but, to be fair, Bullmoose might have canceled more orders on me than they ever have. I know that experience isn't universal, but, they can be pretty shitty when it comes to oversells

Back