Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I was so absolutely convinced my wife would really want that T-Pain insta-bought it.

I came home from work and told her how Epiphany was getting its first vinyl pressing and she responded, “Oh, that’s cool. I guess.”

😐

I’m sure you bought it for ‘your wife’ after all and you won’t give it a spin yourself at all 😉

I think the issue now is he’s compromised... whereas before I took his exhorting to buy sexy main stream pop as genuine ..now I just think paid advertising...subjectivity gone ..he’s sold out to the man !

So he should tfr his free life membership to me

I think I should be given freebies so I become compromised... whereas before Everyone took my complaining about poor service and witty put downs of a corporation as genuine ..now I just think paid misinformation, almost like a KGB funding of a pro democracy group... hypernormalisation...subjectivity and dependability gone ..he’s sold out to the man, or has he, who knows anymore? Just buy a sexy copy of J Lo’s album and enjoy a hidden crate digger gem like T-Pain! Buy (or don’t).

No such thing as bad publicity.

Unless you count the last few months.

But again, more free things for me. Preferably money. I give really good impartial five star reviews for money.

Last edited:
I miss the historic posts saved on the old forum sometimes...

There is a reason I really don’t like them and it’s a disillusionment that’s built up over time starting with storf, moving through ever weakening curation, heightening with the whole shitty anthology concept, peaking with the nuking of the forum and ending with their utter inability to do any form of logistics. All this amplified by an utter lack of humility or humanity.

The reason? I really fucking loved my first year with VMP. I loved the records, the product the community, the whole bundle. That’s why I’m so pissed off at them. If I hadn’t cared to begin with I’d be indifferent now.

I was never @NathanRicaud because I’m not like that but I definitely was enthused and I recommended them to so many people back then!

I don’t know if anyone has ever said this before but...

they hurt you Joe. They hurt you bad.

I know people hate on VMP when they claim to be a small business (rightfully so a lot of the time)

They also hate on them for the FOMO shit, so if you're gonna come on here and post something like "Get it or regret it!!" don't be surprised if it has the same effect. That's all I'm saying. There's a reason that @Joe Mac said those last 2 posts felt a bit too OTT, because it felt like that to me, too.

And that’s why I stayed very quiet in those two months of VMP’s worst troubles/errors!

You didn't stay quiet and that's exactly why they gave you what they did. Just because you didn't always do a track by track review on exclusives they delayed and/or didn't actually drop, that doesn't mean that you didn't still have continuous praise of their products overall, because you did; and often as a redirection of the fact that members weren't receiving those products. I also distinctly remember you offering reviews of titles like Still Woozy, which they botched the drop on.

The fact of the matter is that, while a lot of us did go in on them, a lot of the time, someone would post some valid frustration or difficulty they were experiencing and you would come up behind them saying, "I love VMP!!! They are so great! I'll be a member forever! They always come through!" You might see that as positive, but... I mean, you went on instagram right when they were finally forced into some humility and joined the chorus of people drowning out those asking for some accountability, to tell the company that they are perfect and you will be a member forever (congratulations). That part is fine, but then you came here with a screenshot to show us and ask our opinions about it with cheeky emojis, fully knowing it could piss people off, to which you could simply respond with "oops." When you're literally stoking these reactions by asking people to comment on them, you become culpable for the reactions. Yet, somehow, I was the one getting a finger waved at them and reported to the mods for responding like you asked -- I know you weren't the one reporting or upset at me for it, though.

Even in the quote above, you refer to their unprofessional, dismissive, and all around shitty -- sometimes, bordering on criminal -- and INTENTIONAL behavior and actions as "troubles/errors." So... they were mistakes and problems that they were affected by, not things they were responsible for that affected, and continues to affect, paying customers that were silenced and/or shamed for so long by simply wanting some general human respect and acknowledgement.

I'm not saying you do it on purpose, or that it isn't an automatic response, but that's VMP's consistent wording that also keeps pissing people off and you're parroting that very narrative they fabricate and utilize to pacify the affected, which minimizes the frustrations and validity of others.

Say what you want. Hype them up. Whatever. The T-Pain post bothered me. That's all. I posted a hashtah as a joke rather than a rant, while still hoping to offer some awareness about how it can read. It unfolded and, eventually, I felt like I should clarify. And that always happens and rarely makes things better, just like this post won't. But, I just woke up and started typing like an idiot. That being said, it's the revisionism, altered narratives, and faux surprise (complete with monkey covering face emoji) that's going to trigger me every time.

Yes. You were always very positive and posting praise for VMP throughout the bullshit, yet somehow also "stayed very quiet" during it. That's how you both got rewarded and, somehow, also not why you got rewarded. It all makes a lot of sense to me now. I get it.

I'm going to ignore future posts related to this, when they don't reference me or a comment I've made in one way or another. That should make everyone happy. I don't want to be a part in splintering a community or making anyone not feel welcome. I'm not trying to spread negativity, but the way that each of us processes the same things can be very different, and concepts of what are "positive" or "negative" can be very subjective. I'd like things to be positive too, believe it or not. And, Nathan, I always have viewed you as a very positive component here. You were still taking a break when N&G started, and something was noticeably missing.

Last edited:
Which Classics are ya missing out of curiousity?

I'm torn because part of me likes that there are (or were) no represses of their ROTMs. Especially since they now let non-members buy things--it was one of the only benefits to being a member. But at the same time, I think that there's a bit of false scarcity going on with VMP and aftermarket sellers. Nobody knows how many copies they press of each record, but I have to assume it's around the 4K range if not more each month for each track (with RHH being a little less). That's still a lot of copies out there.

It would be nice to have more options for swaps but seems like they hold back from certain albums that are marked sold out for swaps and mysteriously pop up at the store for full non-member price later on.

I also kind of wish that previous ROTMs were available for member pricing in the store and the marked up prices for non-members. There seem to be less and less benefits to being a member these days.
Im missing the elusive John Lee Hooker!

Very true about the whole non-members being able to buy bits, I wasn't fully aware of this though, is it a confirmed thing or just a glitch?

The whole 'sold-out albums popping up months later' thing really annoys me as well. In the old days when they just found 1 or 2 and sold them through the Throwback Thursday I actually saw it as a cool event and a way of them getting rid of genuine missplaced records. Now its a complete joke when they somehow find boxes of them.

Very true about the whole non-members being able to buy bits, I wasn't fully aware of this though, is it a confirmed thing or just a glitch?

The whole 'sold-out albums popping up months later' thing really annoys me as well. In the old days when they just found 1 or 2 and sold them through the Throwback Thursday I actually saw it as a cool event and a way of them getting rid of genuine missplaced records. Now its a complete joke when they somehow find boxes of them.

Its randomly the only one I’m missing too but I’m planning to sell/PIF 11 of the classics that aren’t for me and the Analogue Productions pressing of that will hopefully be one of 3 audiophile pressings that will result from the funds raised!

Hopefully ripping the classics collection apart like that will make it less likely for me to resub in the future too...

Last edited:

Its randomly the only one I’m missing too but I’m planning to sell/PIF 11 of the classics that aren’t for me and the Analogue Productions pressing of that will hopefully be one of 3 audiophile pressings that will result from the funds raised!

Hopefully tipping the classics collection apart like that will make it less likely for me to resub in the future too...

I’m missing BB King and the new Aretha. The thing that really got me to stop caring about maintaining a Classics collection was The Isley Brothers. Great album but they wouldn’t give me a replacement when my cover arrived destroyed. Said it was sold out. Lo and behold, still in the store.

I’m missing BB King and the new Aretha. The thing that really got me to stop caring about maintaining a Classics collection was The Isley Brothers. Great album but they wouldn’t give me a replacement when my cover arrived destroyed. Said it was sold out. Lo and behold, still in the store.

It was Willie Bobo here! That album just offends my ears, it’s so throwaway! The BB is very good but I’m sure there are other pressings of it out there! I’m very thankful for @Jmcg85 doing me a huge favour and hooking me up with an Aretha!

Great album but they wouldn’t give me a replacement when my cover arrived destroyed.

No clue what their rhyme or reason is with this. I have requested probably 30 replacements over the years for damaged sleeves, and I don't think I've ever been told no. I've also never been asked to take a picture or video to prove up the damage (though tbf there were a couple of times I sent them in my first email).

Wow, you guys have had a busy week or so; I've been away for a bit.

I finally got my Idler Wheel today, after ordering it the first day and multiple cut/paste emails over several recent weeks from CS not helping at all. I finally cancelled the other items in the order and reordered them with the 25% off code floating around here, which somehow released the Fiona AND saved me money... Good business plan, VMP!

In true VMP complainant fashion, I am sticking around for Aretha and then... We'll see. So frustrating.

I’d ask again, maybe a different rep will take care of you.

Finally caught up on this thread

Just wanted to say Congrats to Nathan.🍾🍻🎈🎉 Based on your previous posts about your VMP spending habits, it sounds like one free record a month is like a 15-20% discount for you overall, right? I hope it’s at least that much, haha.

I have to say, my first thought was “a free record every month for the rest of my life?where would I store them all?! What if they overran my apartment and I got trapped inside and died and no one found my body buried in the piles of free records?!” Then, cynically I thought that maybe they know they’re not going to stay in business much longer so it was more like a farewell gift that VMP wanted to sound like this hugely generous thing, but which might only amount to like 3 records total. I hope for your sake, though, that you’re able to milk the everloving shit out of it.

Sorry to hear about being let go from your job without warning. Hope you find something better real soon. Maybe you could go to Ireland and do an internship with JoeMac?

Waiting for Tonight IS a jam. I’m surprised you don’t like “Play” though from J. Lo. Those lyrics were made for you! 😂

I’m not a member, and I kinda want that Aretha Now but it took me so long to give up on Classics completionism that I don’t want to lose my resolve now. I tried quitting with Bobo, but then got suckered back in up through BB. But I just cannot abide Mr Hands.

Back