Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

TARANTINO FILMS RANKED
01. Pulp Fiction
02. Inglorious Basterds
03. Kill Bill, Vol. I & II
04. Reservoir Dogs
05. Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
06. Django Unchained
07. Jackie Brown
08. The Hateful Eight
09. Death Proof

Let the record, show I would rather watch ANY Tarantino film than pretty much every Marvel film.
Mine:
01. Pulp Fiction
02. Inglorious Basterds
03. Reservoir Dogs
04. Django Unchained
05. The Hateful Eight
06. Kill Bill, Vol. I & II
07. Jackie Brown
08. Death Proof

Haven't seen Once Upon A Time In Hollywood yet

See, these are the replies I'm used to getting when I say Reservoir Dogs is the best. I cannot fault either of these awesome lists (except for Jackie Brown being ranked under Django on both) but that's the magic of Tarantino. We all have favorites we identify with and our lists are always varied.

Here's mine:
  1. Reservoir Dogs
  2. Inglorious Basterds
  3. Pulp Fiction
  4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  5. Jackie Brown
  6. Kill Bill(s)
  7. The Hateful Eight
  8. Death Proof
  9. Django Unchained

I’m actually jealous of you guys getting multiple response emails. At least they’re acknowledging you...lol
The lack of details and inconsistency in tone is becoming comical. Here are the 3 I received today.
Checking in to let you know that we are still working on answering your question. We sincerely appreciate your patience and apologize for this delay. Our team is working around the clock and will get to your question as quickly as we're able to. That being said, we also kindly request that you only send one email, since sending a second email can create further delays – which neither of us want!

We apologize for any concerns caused by the lack of response but do know we are getting back to every single message and email as fast as we possibly can. We expect response times should be back to normal in around 2 weeks.
Professional (minus the stop emailing us part) and even provided a timeline.

Here again in your inbox to tell you we have not forgotten about you. We apologize again for this continued delay. We know how frustrating delays are, especially around this time of year. Each and every member of our team is working around the clock to solve your issue, and will get to your question as quickly as we're able to.

As a reminder, we also kindly request that you only send one email, since sending a second email can create further delays – which neither of us want!
Oh, so no timeline now? Ok...

As you've probably guessed by now, we've been completely slammed with requests like yours and we're answering each one in the order we got them. The issue you emailed us about, and your growing frustration, both matter more than anything else to us right now and we aren't going to rest until they've both been solved.

Just like you, we hope the next email you get from us is one saying everything is fixed and your records are on a truck that's speeding towards your home. In the meantime, please hang in there and send us good vibes. We're sending the same back to you 😊
Full on "we're the victim, please send good vibes." Sorry, my good vibes come with solutions and/or my money, not with multiple emails all saying "after a week of silence, we want you to know that you are still in line." There are not good vibes around money lingering and an unresponsive vendor.

Hmmm... I see a couple references to Sound Stage Direct on here, but this also is drawing a lot of parallels to the PopMarket closure in 2016/2017: They started doing a lot of gimmicky videos for their daily deals, they became backlogged with massive fulfillment delays, people started bothering them on their daily social posts, they stopped responding to customers, eventually sent out some inadequate excuses and then were eventually purchased by "DirectToU" and became part of the whole DeepDiscount/CollectorsChoice/ImportCDs group.

See, these are the replies I'm used to getting when I say Reservoir Dogs is the best. I cannot fault either of these awesome lists (except for Jackie Brown being ranked under Django on both) but that's the magic of Tarantino. We all have favorites we identify with and our lists are always varied.

Here's mine:
  1. Reservoir Dogs
  2. Inglorious Basterds
  3. Pulp Fiction
  4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  5. Jackie Brown
  6. Kill Bill(s)
  7. The Hateful Eight
  8. Death Proof
  9. Django Unchained

Does the Ringo Lam City On Fire situation knock any points off of Reservoir Dogs for you at all?

VMP could learn something about communication after all it's been at least a week since they said they're figuring out what to say to their rather upset customers.

So indulge me while I tell you about two particular examples of great communication.

First there's this...meant to order this when it was first released but forgot to so I jumped on this second pressing that's coming, placed my order on Friday and today I received this:

"
Hello hello,

First of all thanks a lot for supporting SoundsLikeVanSpirit by buying one of the albums!

The orders were coming in faster than we managed to process them. I apologise if you had to wait a little while to receive an answer from me.

I’m emailing you since your order status is currently “on hold” and as I heard that the website is not yet responding the way it should.

While we are trying to optimise the website, I can assure you that your order is not lost and will be shipped out as soon as the new vinyls arrive (probably end of January 2020).

If you have not received the download link yet here it is again:

As a small apology here is a 15% discount code for you or your friends: Pass_it_on

Sorry for the inconvenience.

See you on the road!

Marten Berger
www.soundslikevanspirit.eu"

For those of you that don't know it this was a guy that drove around Europe with a recording studio in the back of a van recording street artists, pretty cool project and he's probably running his business out of the back of the same van he drove around and he still manages to have better communication and customer service than VMP.

2 days if you don't include the weekend for this guy to take the time to communicate an update with someone that ordered a single record from him without even being asked to, meanwhile I've been waiting weeks to get a response about missing orders and refunds going back months from a company with dozens of employees, managers and a thousand times the customer base from which I'm waiting for a current grand total of 15 records (and as we know mine is not an isolated case).

Secondly there's Melvin from Soul Step Records who posts here on N&G, someone who runs a recording label out of the basement of his house and who not only puts out top notch products based on my experiences but also exemplifies good customer service and communication, never had to wait more than 24 hours to get a response from him about anything I needed addressed....can't recommend Soul Step enough.

I understand that both of these individuals have a much smaller customer base and it can be argued that makes it easier to dedicate the time to better communicate or address issues. However mass emailing your customers an official apology and a promise to fix the current issues and to do better in the future is not something that should take a week to compose, that comes down to lack of understanding your customer base and a lack of vision and leadership.

Seriously, I want VMP to succeed I truly do but they have a lot to learn especially about customer service and communication.

Ps - if you're interested in the project feel free to use the above code since he did say pass it on to your friends and we're all friends here after all are we not?

Last edited:
Hmmm... I see a couple references to Sound Stage Direct on here, but this also is drawing a lot of parallels to the PopMarket closure in 2016/2017: They started doing a lot of gimmicky videos for their daily deals, they became backlogged with massive fulfillment delays, people started bothering them on their daily social posts, they stopped responding to customers, eventually sent out some inadequate excuses and then were eventually purchased by "DirectToU" and became part of the whole DeepDiscount/CollectorsChoice/ImportCDs group.
I get a bad feeling about uDiscover as well. Very PopMarket-esque and clearly ran by a mega-corporation cashing in on the vinyl craze. Plus, their 30% off deal was supposed to end on the 12th and is now open-ended. They're trying to clean out their warehouse in a hurry.

Ok, so can any of you business folks provide an example of a company going through a similar situation that DID rebound?
Most rebounds were generally due to being bought out by another group.

Mobile Fidelity's bankruptcy, acquisition by Music Direct, and subsequent revival is one example.
The folks who dig a business into a hole are very rarely the same ones who dig the business out of it.

just noticed on IG they have deleted a lot of the comments

Even worse. you can no longer comment on their posts. All traces of comments have been removed from their IG.

live from the VMP offices:
giphy.gif

Does the Ringo Lam City On Fire situation knock any points off of Reservoir Dogs for you at all?
I mean, yes and no. Yes in the fact that a few scenes are blatant ripoffs of Lam's work. But no in the sense that it is pretty much a hallmark in all Tarantino films that he "borrows" heavily from other films and calls it "paying homage". I think if I took the stand that his appropriation of scenes and plot lines knocks points off, I'd pretty much have to discredit most of his films (Kill Bill via Lady Snowblood, etc etc.).

But I do love these discussions you start up @Dead C. They are always interesting and engaging. Do any of the Tarantino's other works lose points with you because of this? Sincerely curious.

Back