Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Okay but paying back the investment isn't their only cost and not their only outstanding liability, nor should it be their primary focus, either. Their focus should be on profitability growth/margin expansion and securing revenue streams long term.

At 30K unique subs, and let's use $27 per sub per month as an average, that's ~$9.7M in annual revenues from subscriptions.

At 30K subs, that's 360K records on an annual basis. Using $15 as a unit cost (and who knows, because I don't know their licensing structure), that's $5.4M in cost. Then there's the outbound freight cost, let's assume $3/shipped album. That's $1.08M.

I think Storf has mentioned VMP has ~25 employees. This one is a challenge without knowing all the roles and salary/wage structure, or benefits. But for grins, let's assume the CEO, CFO, and 3 other executive levels are taking a $100K salary. Then next 10 employees, maybe assume $60K? For the remaining 10, let's assuming they're full-time hourly at $13/hr? That puts your total salary and wages at just shy of $1.4M. Now, I have no idea if VMP offers health care, 401K, profit/revenue sharing, etc. And I have no idea what the overtime usage is like. We can just tack on a 30% benefit rate and shrug. That's $0.42M.

With all of that, VMP is left with $1.4M in EBITA (a 15% margin, and ~$120K in profit per month) before we tack on any other incurred expenses.

VMP certainly pays for advertising on social media, and has marketing expenses; maybe they contract with an agency for that. Same goes for their web platform (and I'd ask for a refund at this point). They also are paying for warehouse space for excess inventory, basically utilities, basic office supplies and travel expenses for someone like Storf. I can't make informed guesses on what that all adds up to. But it certainly starts to eat away at that EBITA. Taxes, interest on debt, etc...It all adds up. Maybe my assumptions aren't 100% spot on, but I don't think they're way off, either. Point being is that out of that $10M annual revenue, not much is left at the end of the day. And there's likely some months where they run in the red on the income statement.

Again, it's not a highly profitable business. It's why there isn't a viable alternative popping up at the slightest hint of problems at VMP.

Good points however you're basing your math off one track (essentials) and not counting the other two tracks and all the exclusives they sell each month.

And not to nitpick but i guessed $13 a record for a reason and then you rounded up 2 bucks. Independent record stores pay around ~$13 for a single disc album. They (VMP) commission the pressing so I'm sure their costs are less.

Last edited:
Good points however you're basing your math off one track (essentials) and not counting the other two tracks and all the exclusives they sell each month.

No, 30K is what I'm using for all subs, all tracks. The most recent information we have is that VMP does ~$10M/year in revenues. My math works to that (I didn't add in exclusives and other items they sell, but you'd also tack on an iterative material cost).

And not to nitpick but i guessed $13 a record for a reason and then you rounded up 2 bucks. Independent record stores pay around ~$13 for a single disc album. They commission the pressing so I'm sure their costs are less.

VMP isn't an independent record store, though. They're a label. They have licensing fees and the whole 9 yards, and then they have to inventory it, stock it, etc. $15/album is fair if not short.

View attachment 26194
So...... I don't think the new platform actually knows how much of anything it actually has in stock.
I've actually been working on something with a customer lately that has made me think of how VMP is doing this. A lot of inventory systems work on the principle that you can overdraw from stock on the premise that the item will be replenished. For instance, a plumber could say they need 5 toilets for a job but the inventory only has 2 in stock. That's fine - you take the 2, order 3 more for the job and additional to bring your stock level up to whatever you want to keep in inventory and move along.

However, VMP's entire business model is centered entirely around scarcity. That doesn't really jive with a lot of these types of systems from my experience. Because their entire inventory is essentially dead stock to be depleted and not replenished, they should be using a model where you place items on hold until fulfillment but also immediately deduct them from your stock count. But it feels like they run on a model of allowing overdraw and then just deal with the consequences after the fact.

I have to imagine that they have some amazing conversations with Saddle Creek on this kind of stuff and that SC are also heavily to blame for a lot of this, but VMP is just so much more dislikable at this point.

I was just thinking about this.. A few weeks ago when all of these extra titles went on sale (Sabbath, Blossom, Handsome Boy).. did anyone actually get any of these yet? Or any shipping confirmation? I am guessing most if not all will be cancelled at some point.

No, my Blossom is still sitting by itself on someone else's shelf although VMP says its mine.

No, 30K is what I'm using for all subs, all tracks. The most recent information we have is that VMP does ~$10M/year in revenues. My math works to that (I didn't add in exclusives and other items they sell, but you'd also tack on an iterative material cost).

Yes but some of the costs are fixed and dont change based on how many records they sell (Labor, etc).

2018 revenue was 12.4M based on this article https://www.inc.com/magazine/201809/yasmin-gagne/2018-inc5000-vinyl-me-please.html and Crunchbase.com.

VMP isn't an independent record store, though. They're a label. They have licensing fees and the whole 9 yards, and then they have to inventory it, stock it, etc. $15/album is fair if not short.

Yes but a label can create and distribute a record to an independent record store (their customer) for about $13 with licensing and everything and make money. Very Meaty Pizza should be able to do the same.

Yes but some of the costs are fixed and dont change based on how many records they sell (Labor, etc).

2018 revenue was 12.4M based on this article https://www.inc.com/magazine/201809/yasmin-gagne/2018-inc5000-vinyl-me-please.html and Crunchbase.com.

I mean, I can re-run the numbers for account for that (and include exclusives, rising, etc) in my estimates, but you'll still have flow through on material costs. It pads the bottom line a bit, but not that much.

Yes but a label can create and distribute a record to an independent record store (their customer) for about $13 with licensing and everything and make money. Very Meaty Pizza should be able to do the same.

Yeah but A) most labels don't require getting 3rd party license agreements for their albums since they already own the rights and B) VMP's runs are very likely smaller (thus more costly) than a major label's output. For something like Demon Days and others where maybe 15K+ got pressed, then sure. But a lot of VMP's stuff is smaller and thus more costly on a per-unit basis. They don't get the benefit of scale with a lot of these titles.

And none of this factors in how the Classics track is almost definitely the most costly for them - pressing at QRP isn't cheap and neither is enlisting RKS to cut, or getting Blue Note/Columbia/Stax/etc licenses.

It's also a bit "woe is me". Like, no. You all did this to yourself! And that is also why I don't want to hear/see/read one single more time about how they are making their worker bees work OT. Are we supposed to feel bad about that? Cause I don't. Maybe don't do an untested migration during the busiest month of the year? Those higher up people that have thrown their employees and contract workers to the wolves time and again better be there working right alongside the people they are forcing to work OT to clean up the mistakes.

I just keep thinking about how people got mad about me telling them that the migration was going to be a guaranteed shitshow on reddit, so they should watch their VMP accounts for any issues or changes.

I'm alarmist, you know.

Also, every time I see @CCKrone post on here, I have 2 thoughts go through my head. The first is that I usually agree with the comment and I think you're spot on. The other thought, you probably already know, if you remember responding to me on the old forum when I said to get back to me in a few weeks and you guaranteed that your positive feelings about VMP would never change, while defending them and suggesting that everyone else was overreacting, but you're more... I don't know... realistic or less entitled or something to that effect.

It didn't even take that long and you were justifiably and effectively punching them in the throat on the forum cancelation announcement thread. #Darkside

Not to put you on blast, but I mention this for a couple of reasons. The first is that I like seeing your comments now and it's an elephant for me, even if it's only in my room. The second is because I remember making a comment at one point on the old forum myself, defending Storf on something where it felt like people were getting worked up and going at him a little hard for whatever it was. A lot of us probably have at one point or another, before recognizing the magnitude of how much they actually do fuck everyone over.

We all keep discussing this weird dynamic at play and the gaslighting and sychophants, but, while these tactics are greasy and adolescent, they've proven fairly effective at convincing members to gaslight each other without realizing it. If we weren't us, we'd probably look crazy to us. Nobody could reasonably be expected to anticipate the levels of incompetence and lack of respect for their customers that they've gone on to display without experiencing it first hand. VMP knows that there's always going to be new members with good intentions showing up wanting to discuss records and being greeted with what appears on it's face to be entitled maniacs overreacting to a simple record delay. They kind of bank on that idea that there is an endless supply of new customers that will be understandably skeptical of the rantings of a bunch of angry redditors.

Last edited:
I mean, I can re-run the numbers for account for that (and include exclusives, rising, etc) in my estimates, but you'll still have flow through on material costs. It pads the bottom line a bit, but not that much.

Yeah but A) most labels don't require getting 3rd party license agreements for their albums since they already own the rights and B) VMP's runs are very likely smaller (thus more costly) than a major label's output. For something like Demon Days and others where maybe 15K+ got pressed, then sure. But a lot of VMP's stuff is smaller and thus more costly on a per-unit basis. They don't get the benefit of scale with a lot of these titles.

And none of this factors in how the Classics track is almost definitely the most costly for them - pressing at QRP isn't cheap and neither is enlisting RKS to cut, or getting Blue Note/Columbia/Stax/etc licenses.

I think its those large runs that support everything else. I remember when they had the queen artwork f'up and storf said they were repackaging 20K orders. Cant remember how long after that it took to sell out but that run must have been 25-30k i would imagine.

As fun as this is to talk about, neither of us have enough info to say definitively. Very interesting discussion though. I have to admit the business side is more interesting to me than the music side sometimes.

Last edited:
They kind of bank on that idea that there is an endless supply of new customers that will be understandably skeptical of the rantings of a bunch of angry redditors.
Guaranteed that's what they think, but this is a means to an end. If as a company you can't retain customers it's only a question of time.

What are you going to get with your free record offer that you will get tomorrow?
7 months since I canceled, and I've never gotten a single other email from them. I got unsubscribed from EVERYthing, apparently.
FWIW, the Business Insider story in March of 2018 said they had about 30k active subs across 25k people, and that they shipped about 430k records in 2017. But that was also when they were running a much bigger store, so I don't know that it informs your calculations very much now. Either way, I'd guess that the 30k/25k figures are higher now than they were when those figures were floated for that story 2 years ago, especially with the exclusives factored in.

they have a 142k followers on instagram. the amount of those who know about their shit practices are a drop in the bucket, so there's no incentive to not act like they put out something awesome and it sold out immediately. they get to control the narrative of their brand because while their frustrated customers are vocal within certain channels, it's still a wild minority.
To be honest, I'd be surprised if anybody at VMP outside of Storf and Pauly know how much of a shit show it was. Nobody there communicates with anybody else.

I don’t condone what is being said to storf , however this is the internet and it’s wild they thought they would let him / suggest he answer questions on reddit.
Goodness gracious , comments section at large on the Internet are not safe for even the most secure people.

also wth with support messaging people back hours after their request , but I can’t get any of mine responded to from the last month?!
Still waiting on November records.

Maybe they should shift their (un)official VMP correspondence over to the YouTube comment section before relocating to 4Chan

044df4ef6b502ec2a5963af8f30845fa.jpg

BTW, searching Google images for "fucking amateurs"... NSFW

Back