Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I've been in customer service for 25+ years and I've always been taught that the answer is always "I don't know, BUT let me find out for you". Storf's non-answers always drive me crazy.

Yep and the really great customer service is able to say no and explain to you why the answer is no. The customer is not always right but they are always your single most important resource!

So, show of hands: How many people here are actively hoping VMP fails entirely? As in, has to shut the doors and file for bankruptcy?

Some of the (entirely deserved) public interactions this week have been near-tactical in aim and scope...

Not actively, they’re still human beings being employed and with financial and family responsibilities. If they were to fail it’d upset me no more than the branch of the mega supermarket down the road shutting down because they weren’t doing enough business.

So, show of hands: How many people here are actively hoping VMP fails entirely? As in, has to shut the doors and file for bankruptcy?

Some of the (entirely deserved) public interactions this week have been near-tactical in aim and scope...
I would never wish anyone bankruptcy. I do wish for VMP to start losing sales so the venture backed owners start to lower their interest and look to cash out and put their money elsewhere. I'd like them to stay just big enough to keep landing big titles, but small enough that a company/owner that cares about quality and customers can buy them out.

Oh my. Well, I hope it's at least Milwaukee.

What I want to know is, since I am a new subscriber, why this person is answering questions posed about customer service issues as noted above? Shouldn't he focus on his "baby," Classics, first? I'll leave my judgment about someone with his experience in terms if they can truly be an "expert" to another day, suffice it to say that I can't really complain too loudly about the Classics "track" as that's my main reason for being involved in this madness in the first place. VMP first caught my eye when Soulsville came out (I purchased the APO 45 instead and I've had the CD since 1998 or something) but when I thought more about it at the time, I thought, this club is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. $30+ for a poorly pressed record and a fucking coctail recipe? Times have changed, I guess. Or not.

Oh my. Well, I hope it's at least Milwaukee.

What I want to know is, since I am a new subscriber, why this person is answering questions posed about customer service issues as noted above? Shouldn't he focus on his "baby," Classics, first? I'll leave my judgment about someone with his experience in terms if they can truly be an "expert" to another day, suffice it to say that I can't really complain too loudly about the Classics "track" as that's my main reason for being involved in this madness in the first place. VMP first caught my eye when Soulsville came out (I purchased the APO 45 instead and I've had the CD since 1998 or something) but when I thought more about it at the time, I thought, this club is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. $30+ for a poorly pressed record and a fucking coctail recipe? Times have changed, I guess. Or not.

There is a lot of history with a lot of us and storf. VMP used to have its own forums in which we all came together as a community and in which he interacted with us. He got on very well with certain people and rubbed others up the wrong way. The two things he never could do is keep quiet when he didn’t fully know the answer or take the snark that he so liberally doled out.

They’ve since nuked that forum and we set up our own place so there’s a degree of justified anger over that too.

Last edited:
There is a lot of history with a lot of us and storf. VMP used to have its own forums in which we all came together as a community and in which he interacted with us. He got on very well with certain people and rubbed others up the wrong way. The two things he never could do is keep quiet when he didn’t fully know the answer or take the snark that he so liberally doled out.

They’ve since nuked that forum so we set up our own place so there’s a degree of justified anger over that too.

Right - I was aware of that because I read about it somewhere else (at the Hoffman forum maybe?). This has precedent. To cite an example - at the time when Norah Jones released her debut, which I think was late 90's or the first few years of the new millennium, there was an incredibly active board run by Blue Note. We are talking discussions about a host of genres and music not just BN (and people were nicer there generally than other boards at that time, like Jazz Central Station). I mean, I made (now) decades long friends through exchanges on that Board (and eventual, shudder, trading of CDrs of rare music). Most of us really let them have it about Norah being on the label for a period of time and one day, POOF! Years of research, opinions and just amazing information about jazz there, gone without any warning. I'm still pissed about it. So, I totally get it - this stuff gets personal. Again, I still don't understand why a non-customer service person is answering at all. As a newbie to this whole thing, I find this fascinating (and disturbing). But hey, I like my Freedom Rider and Jazz Impressions of Japan. That being said, it would be nice once I finally receive my October Record of the Month, though (Celia and Johnny which is stone cold killer - have the CD).

Right - I was aware of that because I read about it somewhere else (at the Hoffman forum maybe?). This has precedent. To cite an example - at the time when Norah Jones released her debut, which I think was late 90's or the first few years of the new millennium, there was an incredibly active board run by Blue Note. We are talking discussions about a host of genres and music not just BN (and people were nicer there generally than other boards at that time, like Jazz Central Station). I mean, I made (now) decades long friends through exchanges on that Board (and eventual, shudder, trading of CDrs of rare music). Most of us really let them have it about Norah being on the label for a period of time and one day, POOF! Years of research, opinions and just amazing information about jazz there, gone without any warning. I'm still pissed about it. So, I totally get it - this stuff gets personal. Again, I still don't understand why a non-customer service person is answering at all. As a newbie to this whole thing, I find this fascinating (and disturbing). But hey, I like my Freedom Rider and Jazz Impressions of Japan. That being said, it would be nice once I finally receive my October Record of the Month, though (Celia and Johnny which is stone cold killer - have the CD).

VMP got me hooked by teasing the "When the Pawn" vinyl issue. I was previously a member for awhile but quit due to lack of interest in most of the records I was getting. Joined back up in the midst of this total shitstorm. Really just hoping I can get a vinyl copy of "When The Pawn" as it is one of my favorite records of all time. Seems like all the talk about it getting released died when the website shit the bed.

VMP got me hooked by teasing the "When the Pawn" vinyl issue. I was previously a member for awhile but quit due to lack of interest in most of the records I was getting. Joined back up in the midst of this total shitstorm. Really just hoping I can get a vinyl copy of "When The Pawn" as it is one of my favorite records of all time. Seems like all the talk about it getting released died when the website shit the bed.

They've told us it was "coming soon" for about 2.5 years

Back