Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

That's exactly their game. When Idler Wheel dropped, someone commented on reddit that they thought it was odd that VMP would put a 2 copy limit on something that wasn't a limited release. They weren't complaining, but commenting. Storf responded that he was fine with VMP losing sales, since everyone took his head off when Mobb Deep sold out. The commentor then responded by pointing out that those were two different situations, since Mobb Deep was limited to 1,000 and allowed people to buy 5 a piece, and Idler Wheel wasn't limited all. Then reiterated that they weren't complaining and, possibly, even thanked him for commenting. Storf responded that context doesn't matter and that everyone yells at him no matter what he does. He's a victim, you know. Boo hoo. So, I see this on my phone, and Storf's response is at zero and the comment from the other person is at 2 or something. I switch to my laptop from my phone, and within that short transition, Storf is in the positives and this other guy, who wasn't even being disrespectful, is in the negatives. Every comment just asking regular questions was getting the same responses. They have staff trying to silence comments and make them vanish.

That's the one benefit for them on reddit, to downvote comments until they are hidden. But it only works to a point and they have to move quick. They tried it on my reddit comment today, but it was too late. It was already way too high and the mob was already forming from this shit today. I did see a chunk of like 3 or more upvotes for one of Storf's garbage responses, and down votes for everyone on the other side, come in all at once, but that trend reversed and kept going.

Now he's responding to people saying that he's not really involved in the day to day operations. He just writes articles

They’re now saying how they’ve cracked my secret (it wasn’t a secret) reddit identity and have traced me back to me on here and are beginning a character assassination. Is it wrong that I’m kind not fussed what they think and kind of flattered that my dislike of storf is so important to them?

Err, not quite. Reddit's upvote/downvote calculation has always been a bit... fuzzy, to say the least. Reddit's sitewide algorithm is built to never quite show you the exact karma (total upvotes minus total downvotes) of a post or comment. Once a post or comment gets more than a couple votes, the numbers get weird, and because Reddit tries to put a balance in place for upvotes/downvotes and tries to obfuscate exact numbers, you get issues across the entire site with the upvote number being slightly different each time your refresh the page. This has been a thing for basically as long as Reddit has been a thing, and it's well known amongst people who have been using the site for a few years. I'm not saying it's impossible that your post caught a few downvotes in the time, but a couple of voting discrepancies is hardly enough to base a conspiracy on. The sub averages 30,000 pageviews a day, so even quick changes in votes could much more easily be attributed to just the sheer amount of people looking at the sub daily

Also worth mentioning that Reddit very specifically has safeguards in place to prevent vote manipulation - if, for example, multiple accounts are ALL active on the same private IP address, upvotes and downvotes aren't actually counted unless Reddit proves that there's a reason for it (I.E, a public wifi hotspot, a library/dorm connection, etc.). In addition, accounts that don't ever post (or rarely ever post), but always upvote (or downvote) the same 3 or 4 people in the same 1 or 2 subreddits, don't have their votes counted either.

Err, not quite. Reddit's upvote/downvote calculation has always been a bit... fuzzy, to say the least. Reddit's sitewide algorithm is built to never quite show you the exact karma (total upvotes minus total downvotes) of a post or comment. Once a post or comment gets more than a couple votes, the numbers get weird, and because Reddit tries to put a balance in place for upvotes/downvotes and tries to obfuscate exact numbers, you get issues across the entire site with the upvote number being slightly different each time your refresh the page. This has been a thing for basically as long as Reddit has been a thing, and it's well known amongst people who have been using the site for a few years. I'm not saying it's impossible that your post caught a few downvotes in the time, but a couple of voting discrepancies is hardly enough to base a conspiracy on. The sub averages 30,000 pageviews a day, so even quick changes in votes could much more easily be attributed to just the sheer amount of people looking at the sub daily

I understand that and have experienced it, after years on reddit, but this has felt a bit different. I've watched things turn drastically, like a comeback from a losing arm wrestling match. A swarm of positive commentors and upvotes often come in at once, like it's more coordinated.

I'm guessing this was a big part of their rationale for shutting down the forum and migrating to reddit. While they don't have full control, they can help direct the conversation to their benefit, and do so anonymously.

I've said it before, but I also think that some of the rationale deals with the fact that, if they aren't responding, it's more understandable and assumed that they aren't on there or busy. When it's your own forum and you're not responding in threads designed specifically for communicating with the community, you're more likely to get called out on that

They’re now saying how they’ve cracked my secret (it wasn’t a secret) reddit identity and have traced me back to me on here and are beginning a character assassination. Is it wrong that I’m kind not fussed what they think and kind of flattered that my dislike of storf is so important to them?
Wait - VMP tracked you down on Reddit? Because of your comments criticizing them? Am I reading this right?

WHAT??? That's crazy. Who "traced" you?

Wait - VMP tracked you down on Reddit? Because of your comments criticizing them? Am I reading this right?

WHAT??? That's crazy. Who "traced" you?

I don’t think it was a VMP staff member, just a sycophant that didn't take kindly to me not liking storf. hendriww. To be honest if you came here and searched my reddit name you'd link them pretty quickly, I made no attempt to hide the link. Just found it kind of funny lol.

I don’t think it was a VMP staff member, just a sycophant that didn't take kindly to me not liking storf. hendriww. To be honest if you came here and searched my reddit name you'd link them pretty quickly, I made no attempt to hide the link. Just found it kind of funny lol.

They were probably worried you would become Reddit’s biggest poster by the end of the year.

I think Luke Goss sums up VMP’s relationship with customers best

2B33BE83-4F22-4F9B-B943-5490DD2FA847.jpeg

That's what I figured. It's just ridiculous, like this is some Great Mouse Detective or Harriet The Spy shit. I'm sure that I could "trace" what you're referring to back on reddit

They were probably worried you would become Reddit’s biggest poster by the end of the year.

I think Luke Goss sums up VMP’s relationship with customers best

View attachment 24095

That Bros documentary was exceptiona, one of the greatest ever music documentaries, far more truthful and revealing than they could ever have intended it to be!

Back