Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Sharing an ‘exclusive’ Discord code (that’s hardly a secret and not enforced) will have 2 possible outcomes:

1) Nothing. There will be more ‘exclusive’ Discord codes for savings. It will be shared outside and not enforced.

2) They will stop giving out Discord codes.

Is it worth risking outcome 2? The code works for everyone. It’s better than the Cyber Monday BOGO. IMO it would suck for everyone (not just Discord) if the offers stopped coming up.

Sharing an ‘exclusive’ Discord code (that’s hardly a secret and not enforced) will have 2 possible outcomes:

1) Nothing. There will be more ‘exclusive’ Discord codes for savings. It will be shared outside and not enforced.

2) They will stop giving out Discord codes.

Is it worth risking outcome 2? The code works for everyone. It’s better than the Cyber Monday BOGO. IMO it would suck for everyone (not just Discord) if the offers stopped coming up.
VMP does a lot of questionable shit, has bizarre business practices and generally seems out of touch at times. All that being said, they do know how the internet works. They know that posting a code in a public space means that it will be shared. This was literally a thank you code for another code, it is about making money and moving stock to reduce tax liability and overhead.

If the offers stop coming up then people stop buying. A luxury item that's overpriced with no intrinsic value will eventually meet its demise.
Or 2015 will once again rise from the sea…. With its reasonably priced wares and a queue of happy souls who are gagging to throw everything they have at the chance to get two flat(ish) Car Seat Headrest lps and a 15th copy of Bitte Orca

If the offers stop coming up then people stop buying. A luxury item that's overpriced with no intrinsic value will eventually meet its demise.
After getting burned again after seeing Tito Puente come up for about $10-15CAD less in locals, I've finally learned my lesson.

1) I will not buy store titles unless heavily discounted, or it's guaranteed that it's truly an "exclusive", not a "color exclusive".
2) I will not buy an anthology unless it's at least 30% off (an existing rule).

Discount codes are going to be the only way I buy something in the store going forward, if they stop giving them out, then I stop buying.

After getting burned again after seeing Tito Puente come up for about $10-15CAD less in locals, I've finally learned my lesson.

1) I will not buy store titles unless heavily discounted, or it's guaranteed that it's truly an "exclusive", not a "color exclusive".

Discount codes are going to be the only way I buy something in the store going forward, if they stop giving them out, then I stop buying.
Yeah, since leaving VMP in 2019 (I've popped back in twice since then for a couple deals/must-haves), I've pretty much abided by these rules. It's saved me space, money and given a fresh perspective on what I truly need/want to collect.

Yeah, since leaving VMP in 2019 (I've popped back in twice since then for a couple deals/must-haves), I've pretty much abided by these rules. It's saved me space, money and given a fresh perspective on what I truly need/want to collect.
Take a look at the Impulse anthology for example:

8 albums.
$349USD + $30 Shipping = $517CAD

Then I'm going to get hit with $70CAD of duties for a grand total of $587CAD.

That's $73.38 per album. Which is ludicrous.

With the discount code, it'll run me (by time I pay duties) $49.57 per album, that's a huge difference.

In comparison, I'm pretty much able to build a half decent Miles anthology if I just buy locally for about $40 per record, except for one which I can only find a decent copy for $75.

It's just not worth it regularly.

Take a look at the Impulse anthology for example:

8 albums.
$349USD + $30 Shipping = $517CAD

Then I'm going to get hit with $70CAD of duties for a grand total of $587CAD.

That's $73.38 per album. Which is ludicrous.

With the discount code, it'll run me (by time I pay duties) $49.57 per album, that's a huge difference.

In comparison, I'm pretty much able to build a half decent Miles anthology if I just buy locally for about $40 per record, except for one which I can only find a decent copy for $75.

It's just not worth it regularly.
Anthologies are a definite (and rare) luxury. If that discord code hadn’t come up I’d have no way picked up the Cadet box. And as an international buyer I had another £70 worth of shipping and customs.

But with vinyl prices in the uk being absolutely horrendous VMP isn’t often that far off. The $37 they charge for a double is pretty close to the £30 I’d get charged for a single these days over here and because shipping and tax isn’t on sub and store pick ups they’re (incredibly) cheaper than most places I’d normally go to round mine. not to mention it’s impossible outside Amazon or a mega store to get cheap shipping on anything I might want from an indie these days.

Its a rarer occurrence where I see something on their site that I want to grab with all four hands but when I do the cost is kinda there-ish with everyone else round here in Brexitville

Anthologies are a definite (and rare) luxury. If that discord code hadn’t come up I’d have no way picked up the Cadet box. And as an international buyer I had another £70 worth of shipping and customs.

But with vinyl prices in the uk being absolutely horrendous VMP isn’t often that far off. The $37 they charge for a double is pretty close to the £30 I’d get charged for a single these days over here and because shipping and tax isn’t on sub and store pick ups they’re (incredibly) cheaper than most places I’d normally go to round mine. not to mention it’s impossible outside Amazon or a mega store to get cheap shipping on anything I might want from an indie these days.

Its a rarer occurrence where I see something on their site that I want to grab with all four hands but when I do the cost is kinda there-ish with everyone else round here in Brexitville

Yeah, without the code I wouldn't likely have bit, despite having been excited for the impulse! set for what feels like forever, but with the code it felt like an opportunity to fulfill that old dream.

As for Miles, the pretty much unanimous rave reviews from folks who had already picked it up, and my not having the vast majority of its contents made that decision for me.

I'd love to have gone for the Cadet box too, but I already ordered basically one too many!

Yeah, without the code I wouldn't likely have bit, despite having been excited for the impulse! set for what feels like forever, but with the code it felt like an opportunity to fulfill that old dream.

As for Miles, the pretty much unanimous rave reviews from folks who had already picked it up, and my not having the vast majority of its contents made that decision for me.

I'd love to have gone for the Cadet box too, but I already ordered basically one too many!
I went for the Vanguard too. But only after I’d worked out they’d be shipping with my regular sub so I’d not have to pay extra customs or delivery charges. For £100 I’ve no regrets. £150 I’d have been out.

I went for the Vanguard too. But only after I’d worked out they’d be shipping with my regular sub so I’d not have to pay extra customs or delivery charges. For £100 I’ve no regrets. £150 I’d have been out.

I love what they did with the Vanguard set - I think it's a great selection, and I do love the label, but I know myself well enough to be honest that I just wouldn't spin it very much. Other than Buffy, and there are much cheaper ways for me to upgrade my existing copy (which does very much need upgrading!)

95% of the VMP store exclusives are just color variants. They do occasionally have an awesome true exclusive and those are really the only ones worth grabbing IMO

I love what they did with the Vanguard set - I think it's a great selection, and I do love the label, but I know myself well enough to be honest that I just wouldn't spin it very much. Other than Buffy, and there are much cheaper ways for me to upgrade my existing copy (which does very much need upgrading!)
The Podcast was really good. I remember thinking that the guy that presented them was a bit of a joke on the early series I started playing but the discussion on the Vanguard was really good. I mean, the kid says ’like’ and ‘you know‘ a ridiculous amount but thats the only issue I had. Definitely going to work through the Cadet series when the box comes.

Back