Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

What a shit show..esp for an album that’s been out for awhile now

I wonder how many people but multiple copies of records, looks like that was a standard mail, to have additional copy (or copies) referenced in it, seem a bit mad.

Nico's friend Danny Fields, the American journalist who helped her sign to Elektra Records, described her as "Nazi-esque", saying: "Every once in a while there'd be something about Jews and I'd be, 'But Nico, I'm Jewish,' and she was like 'Yes, yes, I don't mean you.' She had a definite Nordic Aryan streak, [the belief] that she was physically, spiritually and creatively superior."[35] According to Fields, in the early 1970s, Nico attacked a mixed-race woman at the Chelsea Hotel with a smashed wine glass, saying "I hate black people".[35] However, Fields also stated in a 2002 interview with David Dalton, "She was so far from being a Nazi—except maybe all Germans are Nazis."[36]

In 2019, Nigel Bagley, who was Nico's co-manager and promoter in Manchester, said he never saw Nico express racist views: "She was in a multicultural city and was good friends with Yankee Bill, our American-Jamaican doorman." Her drummer Graham Dowdall said: "She played an Indian instrument, worked with north Africans, and brought that to her music. She was certainly capable of very casual racism about Alan [Wise], who was Jewish, but that was a way of having a go at Al."[37]

Haven't got time to read it all now, but 75% growth since last year, that's crazy

I do wonder if they're counting each person who isn't a monthly subscriber but who buys an exclusive available to the public, but no matter what it's still a ridiculous jump from just a few years ago

It unfortunately also proves that they can get away with ever-increasing prices

I do wonder if they're counting each person who isn't a monthly subscriber but who buys an exclusive available to the public, but no matter what it's still a ridiculous jump from just a few years ago

It unfortunately also proves that they can get away with ever-increasing prices
Do non-members actually buy exclusives at their exorbitant non-member prices?

Do non-members actually buy exclusives at their exorbitant non-member prices?

You wouldn't think so, and we don't have any proof either way. It's the nature of the beast, though, especially if VMP offers a reissue that hasn't been announced anywhere else yet. It seems like a lot more of their exclusives are still sitting around the shop unsold, though that's also near-impossible to be sure of thanks to one of the worst online store UI's I've ever encountered, but there are plenty of exclusives (esp hip hop/rap) that are selling out almost immediately, and that's not just sales from subscribers.

And for those unsold exclusives, now we see why it's taking so long for them to get to swaps or not seeing a markdown. If you have 80k people buying something from you every month, you just figure you'll sell it eventually.

I am curious how that 80k is calculated, definitely does not come close to passing the smell test.

I don’t know. I would expect them to have that data readily available. And in recent months all tracks have been sold out while they increase capacity. They will also have members for each individual track, adding country could have added 20k new customers. They are also getting a lot of publicity across the the you tube vinyl channels, and everyone has been buying more vinyl

i think estimating the country presses at 20k seems unrealistic. They probabyl started that sub with 2000 to 5000 records pressed

20k is probably top end but definitely feasible, 2,000 definitely seems low to start with a Johnny Cash record. I might be wrong but seems like there were a lot of people eager for the country track & I aspect a lot more who probably aren't interested in any of the other tracks. They have tried to curate it for a crossover audience (thankfully no achy breaky heart line dancing :) )

If they started with 5k, it sold out instantly and even with GZ pressing they couldn't increase the volume enough to meet demand until the Sturgil album was released which nobody really wanted & is readily available everywhere for $15. By the time they get to month 4 volumes could easily have doubled or tripled from where they started.

I think they could move 80k units a month. They still do about 20 “exclusives” each month. Though I would think this would mean at least 1 RotM should be in the charts for sales. I just don’t think they have 80k subscribers.
yes, but most of those exclusives are limited between 300-2000 records each, and only the really big ones hitting 1000-2000.

I think they could move 80k units a month. They still do about 20 “exclusives” each month. Though I would think this would mean at least 1 RotM should be in the charts for sales. I just don’t think they have 80k subscribers.
I can't remember which ROTM, but it was an early one, and they reported the sales to the charts. The industry went into a tizzy over it and they had to be taken out. Since it's a club, they are not true sales. You're not really picking and buying the album yourself, you're paying for the service. If they had picked a album of fingernails across a chalkboard, you'd still get it unless you unsubscribed from the service.

I can't remember which ROTM, but it was an early one, and they reported the sales to the charts. The industry went into a tizzy over it and they had to be taken out. Since it's a club, they are not true sales. You're not really picking and buying the album yourself, you're paying for the service. If they had picked a album of fingernails across a chalkboard, you'd still get it unless you unsubscribed from the service.

I remember hearing something about Demon Days and a McCartney record being knocked or kept off. Maybe I’m imagining that, but it’s a bell that went off…

Back