Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

[...]offset by all the Craft and Tone Poet albums my local keeps getting in.

a lot of the tone poet stuff is 25ish on amazon, sometimes cheaper if you don't mind the amzn warehouse gamble; the acoustic sounds stuff is similar. "do i want a warped vmp record for 40 bucks ....or a pristine tone poet for half that?" is a no-brainer.

a lot of the tone poet stuff is 25ish on amazon, sometimes cheaper if you don't mind the amzn warehouse gamble; the acoustic sounds stuff is similar. "do i want a warped vmp record for 40 bucks ....or a pristine tone poet for half that?" is a no-brainer.
'Bout $46 on Amazon Canada or $36 from my local, in CAD. Stopped buying vinyl on Amazon for the most part unless some great deals come on Prime Day.

Waiting for that Dexter Gordon "One Flight Up" to come in hopefully this week at my local. They told me most of their Blue Note shipments are horribly delayed recently.

Just ordered the Craft pressing of "Abbey is Blue" by Abbey Lincoln for $28 today. Hope it sounds amazing.

Exactly this. Most of them aren't hard to find, and only great if you want to say your copy is a "limited edition".
As well as the gradual realisation that you’re not actually supporting a grassroots community retailing ideology with your purchase but are, you know, just buying fancy coloured records from a massive record shop.

'Bout $46 on Amazon Canada or $36 from my local, in CAD. Stopped buying vinyl on Amazon for the most part unless some great deals come on Prime Day.

Waiting for that Dexter Gordon "One Flight Up" to come in hopefully this week at my local. They told me most of their Blue Note shipments are horribly delayed recently.

Just ordered the Craft pressing of "Abbey is Blue" by Abbey Lincoln for $28 today. Hope it sounds amazing.
the international shipping is a great deal for those outside of the US

and for anyone who actually wants to take the warehouse gamble, there's a ton of tone poet stuff for dirt cheap:

that dexter gordon for 20, art blakey moaning for 20, herbie's my point of view, lonnie smith, a bunch of others. gotta see the condition, but e.g. i picked up a few that were marked "good, small mark on disc" and they came sealed and pristine (one did have a big INSPECTED BY AMAZON sticker right on the sleeve, but a little care took it off w/o damage....)

I got a bit excited that I got an email saying that one or more waitlisted items are coming back in stock today at 12 as part of VMP100, after refreshing like a madman it looks like they're simply trying to get me to resub with those titles instead of dropping more.

So I've been mega excited for this month for a variety of things (Ashby, Omega, Yusef Lateef and more) - most especially, however, for Sun Ra's Lanquidity. Sadly I've just been informed I'll have to wait until mid-August for that particular gem. This is the first VMP delay that has strongly disappointed me, but it has done so very strongly. :cry:

So I've been mega excited for this month for a variety of things (Ashby, Omega, Yusef Lateef and more) - most especially, however, for Sun Ra's Lanquidity. Sadly I've just been informed I'll have to wait until mid-August for that particular gem. This is the first VMP delay that has strongly disappointed me, but it has done so very strongly. :cry:
I had the Sun Ra in my orders but cancelled it and put an order in through Strut for the box set. That also had a delay but not as bad as the VMP. Weirdly, I saw a post on Instagram that someone in the Netherlands bought a copy of the box in his local shop. It looks great BUT the mirror affect sleeve had pretty bad ringwear which I imagine might be a common theme....

I had the Sun Ra in my orders but cancelled it and put an order in through Strut for the box set. That also had a delay but not as bad as the VMP. Weirdly, I saw a post on Instagram that someone in the Netherlands bought a copy of the box in his local shop. It looks great BUT the mirror affect sleeve had pretty bad ringwear which I imagine might be a common theme....
I've been holding on to hope that the box set will remain readily available at list price for a while so I can upgrade to that down the line when I'm gainfully employed once again. It's definitely something that belongs on my shelf.
(I reckon Sun Ra will have an entire cube to himself chez nous before the year is out!)

Actually, instead, I've just cancelled my VMP Sun Ra and another preorder I had on deck and have ordered the box set. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction @Selaws ;)

Actually, instead, I've just cancelled my VMP Sun Ra and another preorder I had on deck and have ordered the box set. Thanks for the nudge in the right direction @Selaws ;)
I think it might have been @Andy and myself that were discussing which to go for back when VMP announced it. The box looks really nice and it’s surely got to be the ‘definitive’ set. I think swapping orders was the best move!

Also, ignore my comment about the ringwear. I went back to the post and misread the first time. He has the box unopened and the one he was showing (with the ringwear) was actually his earlier pressing 😂

And there goes Crate -

"We needed to reach out to let you know that we will be shutting down the Crate Subscription on July 1st, 2021.

The Crate subscription has been around since the early days of VMP and has given folks a chance to shop our member exclusive store titles without having a full membership. Unfortunately, since 2019, when we migrated to a new system, this subscription hasn’t been fully supported. In the past couple of months, it has reached a point where we can no longer provide support for the subscription, so we have made the tough decision to shut the subscription down.

We will allow you to continue with the subscription for the month of June, and will be setting it to cancel on July 1st.

We also wanted to Thank you sincerely for the years of support that you have given us; It does not go unnoticed or unappreciated. We would like to offer you a discount on the full subscription, if you would like to continue your music journey with us. The discount has already been added as membership credits, which will auto apply to any subscription invoice that generates after July 1st.

Either way, once more, we would like to thank you for trusting VMP with your vinyl needs, and if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out!"

It's been clear for the last couple years they were trying to find a way to get rid of it. I'm not surprised they're using the excuse of the 'new system' since they're so technologically incompetent that the new system rarely works as intended. I seriously doubt there were that many of us still on Crate, anyway. I just logged in and the promised membership credits are $15, roughly 1/3 of the cost of a single LP they sell now :LOL:

Last edited:
And there goes Crate -

"We needed to reach out to let you know that we will be shutting down the Crate Subscription on July 1st, 2021.

The Crate subscription has been around since the early days of VMP and has given folks a chance to shop our member exclusive store titles without having a full membership. Unfortunately, since 2019, when we migrated to a new system, this subscription hasn’t been fully supported. In the past couple of months, it has reached a point where we can no longer provide support for the subscription, so we have made the tough decision to shut the subscription down.

We will allow you to continue with the subscription for the month of June, and will be setting it to cancel on July 1st.

We also wanted to Thank you sincerely for the years of support that you have given us; It does not go unnoticed or unappreciated. We would like to offer you a discount on the full subscription, if you would like to continue your music journey with us. The discount has already been added as membership credits, which will auto apply to any subscription invoice that generates after July 1st.

Either way, once more, we would like to thank you for trusting VMP with your vinyl needs, and if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reach out!"

It's been clear for the last couple years they were trying to find a way to get rid of it. I'm not surprised they're using the excuse of the 'new system' since they're so technologically incompetent that the new system rarely works as intended. I seriously doubt there were that many of us still on Crate, anyway. I just logged in and the promised membership credits are $15, roughly 1/3 of the cost of a single LP they sell now :LOL:
Yeah I emailed them about crate not working last year and the response was basically the same as this email. I still had the shipping discount, but was not able to buy anything marked as member exclusive until it opened to the general public. I kept the subscription just in case and haven't used it since Alfredo anyway 🤷

Its not a VMP fault delay. The delay is on Strut's end. The set has been delayed several times. When there is a VMP version of a record also being given a release by the originating label, the label generally will not allow the VMP ( which is usually just a color variant) to precede their own.

Yeah I emailed them about crate not working last year and the response was basically the same as this email. I still had the shipping discount, but was not able to buy anything marked as member exclusive until it opened to the general public. I kept the subscription just in case and haven't used it since Alfredo anyway 🤷

I went ahead and took the discount they offered last year on an annual sub to Classics because it came out to ~$26/record, but I also kept my Crate sub for when the discounted sub ran out.

Ah, well, this has been a long-time coming. Their infinitely incompetent web dev group (if it's even multiple people) was going to inevitably provide them the justification. Since they can't even keep exclusives locked down to members for even a day, they probably don't see how Crate provides *them* anything of value. It is (was) just a cheap discount to a subgroup of early supporters & apparently we're worth $15 each.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back