Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I’m going to pick up The Doors based on the assumption it’s not the same as the 2009 cut. Hopefully it sounds better.

Forgot to set an alarm and got too busy during the swap drop today, any good surprises at the beginning?

I was surprised to Sturgill in there when I checked this afternoon. Trying to decide between him, Merle, Doors, and Motor City Scene... I really like the Classics pick, just not sure how much I will spin it. Maybe I can pick it up down the road?

If anyone wants something from VMP this month, my tracks are free. Not sure I'll get the Doors too... Maybe I'll go for the Classics, because some of you have been hyping it up for a while now.
Get the Classics ROTM! It’s special! Well worth grabbing in my opinion, and it’s comforting to know the pressing will sound phenomenal too! 😍

Forgot to set an alarm and got too busy during the swap drop today, any good surprises at the beginning?

I was surprised to Sturgill in there when I checked this afternoon. Trying to decide between him, Merle, Doors, and Motor City Scene... I really like the Classics pick, just not sure how much I will spin it. Maybe I can pick it up down the road?
literally nothing worth mentioning; no surprises at all. honestly they should have just left the marantz turd be posted on the same day. A good month to catch up on any classics you meant to pick up that are for some reason still around -- freedom suite and king's things were there.

Well, I can only speak for myself and say that these sort of records are fantastic for calibrating your kit, recalibrating if you move home or change room layout, as a show off piece for friends, as a teacher for learning how to listen technically, as a curio for a collection, and finally as a very well recorded and pressed LP for listening pleasure. When you think about it, it offers more utility than most LPs.
I haven't purchased a VMP exclusive in awhile, but this Marantz set seems fun. And the "master" LP has several tracks that aren't streaming, which gives it more of a unique sell point. $80 is my only hesitation. We're looking at 4 LPs, so it's not wildly over priced (for once), but I just don't know how often I'd spin it.

My yearly sub is about to renew (at the grandfathered price) so I think I'll just stick with Dorothy Ashby since it's gonna be an expensive month regardless.
You still got to renew on the old pricing? I know my last renewal said to expect a price jump for the next renewal (end of the year for us).

I haven't purchased a VMP exclusive in awhile, but this Marantz set seems fun. And the "master" LP has several tracks that aren't streaming, which gives it more of a unique sell point. $80 is my only hesitation. We're looking at 4 LPs, so it's not wildly over priced (for once), but I just don't know how often I'd spin it.

You still got to renew on the old pricing? I know my last renewal said to expect a price jump for the next renewal (end of the year for us).
The Marantz set is sold out, FYI... I bet it'll sound good though...

Marantz sold out, but it sounds like more will be pressed at some point.

I’m on a yearly sub and the price hike happened a month or so after my renew last year, so this is actually the first time I’ve been able to renew under the grandfathered pricing.

The Marantz set is sold out, FYI... I bet it'll sound good though...

Marantz sold out, but it sounds like more will be pressed at some point.

I’m on a yearly sub and the price hike happened a month or so after my renew last year, so this is actually the first time I’ve been able to renew under the grandfathered pricing.
Looks like it's still on their site: Explorations in Sound (Vinyl) Two volumes of audiophile quality music pressed on deluxe 180 gram black vinyl. Custom-curated by Marantz Sound Master Yoshinori Ogata, Dave Longstreth of Dirty Projectors, and VMP CEO Cameron Schaefer. Music | Marantz

What is everyone spending their swap credit on this month?
If I was to spend it on a store exclusive, I would spend it on either:

1. Blackfoot - Youth Power ($29)
2. Pastor T.L. Barrett - Do Not Pass Me By ($23)
3. Dadawah - Peace and Love: Wadadasow ($30)
4. Ali Farka Touré - The Res Album ($32)

The Ali Farka Touré is absolutely superb and is easily my favourite from the bunch of recommendations! It’s meditative, raw, beautiful and has this naked, ravenous and stunning aesthetic! It’s such a beautiful album! The GZ pressing sounds exceptional too! 🏆♥️

I love me some $50CAD+ GZ pressed vinyl.

EDIT: And you know there's probably going to be a wider release with similar pressing details, much cheaper and will be in people's hands at least two months sooner, but it's genius to get that FOMO going before people realize that if they want this album, they'll be likely to get it for less later on.

Last edited:
I love me some $50CAD+ GZ pressed vinyl.

EDIT: And you know there's probably going to be a wider release with similar pressing details, much cheaper and will be in people's hands at least two months sooner, but it's genius to get that FOMO going before people realize that if they want this album, they'll be likely to get it for less later on.

1622558401352.png

Not cheaper at all.

To be fair thought that version at least has two bonus tracks and some pretty awesome packaging...I'd consider that the "definitive" pressing. I'm going to hold off to see other releases that will come down the pipe.

If I was to spend it on a store exclusive, I would spend it on either:

1. Blackfoot - Youth Power ($29)
2. Pastor T.L. Barrett - Do Not Pass Me By ($23)
3. Dadawah - Peace and Love: Wadadasow ($30)
4. Ali Farka Touré - The Res Album ($32)

The Ali Farka Touré is absolutely superb and is easily my favourite from the bunch of recommendations! It’s meditative, raw, beautiful and has this naked, ravenous and stunning aesthetic! It’s such a beautiful album! The GZ pressing sounds exceptional too! 🏆♥️

You you never skip a beat @NathanRicaud

View attachment 101207

I am extremely happy that VMP are doing this!!! The colour variant looks stunning and It’s great to know 2,500 copies were pressed - I can buy a copy of this later this month or in a few months time and not worry about it selling out! ☺️🦥

I love Songs In A Minor so much! It was one of the first 10 records I ever purchased and it was actually the very first record I played on my turntable; it was a Music On Vinyl pressing! The pressing sounded pretty great but I ruined my copy by misusing the Spin Clean on it. As a result, my copy is super crackly, and I always planned on replacing that copy and always hoped that VMP would do an exclusive (because they did an exclusive of The Diary Of Alicia Keys 🎹📙)!

Even though this exclusive is expensive, I couldn’t be more happier about it! Wish it was 180g though, but I’m sure the pressing will sound and look great! Overall, extremely happy that one of my favourite R&B albums of the 21st Century is getting the VMP treatment! ♥️♥️♥️

Back