Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I mean, to be fair... the Aja mafia keeps bringing it up. And I just keep saying the same thing. So really, if all the irrationally angry and not at all chill Aja fans don't want to hear me saying "elevator dentist", then they should probably just stop asking me...

-credits roll over sweet sax solo-

-somewhere, a dentist cries-
I've got to say that I'm in a similar boat to you.

I don't hate the album but it has never really clicked with me. I bought it after hearing it hailed as one of the 'must have' albums and was kind of a let down when I heard it. I think for me its a case of overhyping than anything though, the same reason why I seem to just think of The Beatles as an OK but overhyped group. On paper it should be an album I really connect with, there are tons of jazz legends in there like Bernard Purdie, Victor Feldman, Wayne Shorter, Bill Perkins etc.

I think the Classic Albums series episode for Aja is a great gateway into getting it. To me it’s one of the best arranged albums ever. You can just zone out and listen to say the drum track, or the bass, or how the backing vocals are stacked. I also love the vocals and lyrics. The enjoyment of Steely Dan is how they evolve, a real rocking track like Bodhisattva or Reeling In The Years, how they get smoother with things like Kid Charmalagne and Haitian Divorce, if you think Aja is muzak then Gaucho and The Nightfly take that even further. If you don’t like late Dan you may like the early records. But again, give the Classic albums a view.

I think the Classic Albums series episode for Aja is a great gateway into getting it. To me it’s one of the best arranged albums ever. You can just zone out and listen to say the drum track, or the bass, or how the backing vocals are stacked. I also love the vocals and lyrics. The enjoyment of Steely Dan is how they evolve, a real rocking track like Bodhisattva or Reeling In The Years, how they get smoother with things like Kid Charmalagne and Haitian Divorce, if you think Aja is muzak then Gaucho and The Nightfly take that even further. If you don’t like late Dan you may like the early records. But again, give the Classic albums a view.

Yup Mars Hotel. It spent a week ping ponging around Chicago Fed Ex warehouses. Can’t even blame it on USPS. I reached out to em. Hopefully I can get a replacement. This is my first order LP order from them. Hopefully they’ll step up.

One night, after many bourbons. Perhaps... PERHAPS... I will do this. Cheers

I've got to say that I'm in a similar boat to you.

I don't hate the album but it has never really clicked with me. I bought it after hearing it hailed as one of the 'must have' albums and was kind of a let down when I heard it. I think for me its a case of overhyping than anything though, the same reason why I seem to just think of The Beatles as an OK but overhyped group. On paper it should be an album I really connect with, there are tons of jazz legends in there like Bernard Purdie, Victor Feldman, Wayne Shorter, Bill Perkins etc.

I think that half the issue here though isn’t the take but the fact that @Mather isn’t being left alone about not liking it. Does it really hurt the poor fans of it that much that someone else disagrees? It’s not even that hot a take, it’s lukewarm at best, I should know, I love to burn down the house with takes!

As for your Beatles take let’s just say that we agree to disagree, strongly, but that I often feel the same about lots of the supposed jazz greats that you fellas fete.

I remember seeing this years back and it was a really interesting watch, even as a non-fan like myself. They went to my college and I always thought they would click for me at some point. Maybe in my 40's?

I remember seeing this years back and it was a really interesting watch, even as a non-fan like myself. They went to my college and I always thought they would click for me at some point. Maybe in my 40's?
Man, I never got into the 'Dan until this last year -- just hitting the 40s, I was baking some pandemic bread and I thought "I've never given Steely Dan a fair shake" and told my CIA-approved-music-playing-wiretap to 'play some steely dan' and goddamit if the next hour after that wasn't just fucking amazing. I'm still not huge on Aja but I think Can't Buy a Thrill is pretty great.

I think that half the issue here though isn’t the take but the fact that @Mather isn’t being left alone about not liking it. Does it really hurt the poor fans of it that much that someone else disagrees? It’s not even that hot a take, it’s lukewarm at best, I should know, I love to burn down the house with takes!

As for your Beatles take let’s just say that we agree to disagree, strongly, but that I often feel the same about lots of the supposed jazz greats that you fellas fete.
Yeah exactly, at the end of the day everything we discuss here is personal preference and a great thing about that is the discussions that arise.

The Beatles is a prime example. Had my parents and grandparents listened to them when I was growing up I would have definitely formed a connection to them. As it happens it was Queen which became the soundtrack to my early memories. Could have easily of been any number of musicians. As a result, I grew up hearing how the Beatles were the greatest of all time, constantly being award number 1 spots etc, but without me really listening to them or having that personal connection.

Yeah exactly, at the end of the day everything we discuss here is personal preference and a great thing about that is the discussions that arise.

The Beatles is a prime example. Had my parents and grandparents listened to them when I was growing up I would have definitely formed a connection to them. As it happens it was Queen which became the soundtrack to my early memories. Could have easily of been any number of musicians. As a result, I grew up hearing how the Beatles were the greatest of all time, constantly being award number 1 spots etc, but without me really listening to them or having that personal connection.

Yeah they were a huge part of my initial experiences although to be fair to my dad whilst they were his favourites I did catch this bug off him, his collection is far bigger than mine, albeit on CD, and he did expose me to a lot more of the pop/rock cannon of 60s-80s than just the fabs. He did like Queen but oddly they never quite clicked for me, although that might be because I don’t like Bohemian Rhapsody and it is pretty ubiquitous. I should give them a go beyond it again at some point, I do like some of their other big singles...

The Beatles are such a universal language that I never feel the need to listen to them or own any of their albums even though I like pretty much all of their songs.

The Beatles are such a universal language that I never feel the need to listen to them or own any of their albums even though I like pretty much all of their songs.
As silly as it might sound I imagine it is one of the reasons that I haven't clicked with them. I played a couple of their albums this week that I have had for years but only played once or twice max. Every track was familiar to me and I could even sing along with most. So I guess I never had that 'discovery' moment with them because their music is just played everywhere.

As someone who is pretty indifferent to Steely Dan, it sounds like you had better dentist music than I did. Growing up, mine always just left the radio on the soft rock/R&B station. Current one is musicless which is fine by me.
Last time I went to the dentist, they were playing some Feist deep cuts. It was.....strange.

As silly as it might sound I imagine it is one of the reasons that I haven't clicked with them. I played a couple of their albums this week that I have had for years but only played once or twice max. Every track was familiar to me and I could even sing along with most. So I guess I never had that 'discovery' moment with them because their music is just played everywhere.
Im pretty much with you. I get constant shit from my Beatles loving mates for my views on Pepper (it's OK but not That great). Not sure I'd be without Revolver, White Album or Abbey Road as I love all three but I seem to have left the rest somewhere in my 1990s fanatical era. I think the fascinating thing about them was how young they were when they were doing it all though. I mean, George was still only 27 when they split (at which point he put out a solo album that bettered most the bands collective output).

Oh, and I love Ram too. I think i must have played it at least once a month since I was about 15 😂

Im pretty much with you. I get constant shit from my Beatles loving mates for my views on Pepper (it's OK but not That great). Not sure I'd be without Revolver, White Album or Abbey Road as I love all three but I seem to have left the rest somewhere in my 1990s fanatical era. I think the fascinating thing about them was how young they were when they were doing it all though. I mean, George was still only 27 when they split (at which point he put out a solo album that bettered most the bands collective output).

Oh, and I love Ram too. I think i must have played it at least once a month since I was about 15 😂

I don’t agree with you on Pepper’s, I like it, but I also completely see where you’re coming from. I’ve never understood it being lauded as their work of genius or the number 1 album of all time, they bettered it 5 times by my reckoning.

It’s one of those albums that I think is more impressive in it being groundbreaking and a great technical achievement than particularly the most perfect musical album give the ground themselves and George Martin were breaking in using the studio as an instrument.

Also substitute Rubber Soul for Revolver and add in Magical Mystery Tour and those are the four that I pull out more often than not when a Beatles mood takes me.

Back