Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Not sure if anyone saw on twitter (or cares) but Amileah has been been promoted to Head of Editorial and Storf is now Classics and Country Director as well as producing Anthology.

Good news for folks that don't like Storf's writing as much. Bad news for those that don't like his curation or Anthology podcasts.

Good news for folks like me who like his curation and Anthology and don't really read the mag or booklets (though I have to start with the booklets more).
Sorry to revisit but I saw the subreddit's reaction to Storf's tweets and like ... was the sub always this nasty? I know it's Storf and some folks don't like him (no comment personally) but just seems like a lot of people reading a lot into what are pretty innocent "I have a new job" tweets. I dunno. I don't keep up with the subreddit too much since I cancelled but I seem to remember it being less overtly toxic.

Sorry to revisit but I saw the subreddit's reaction to Storf's tweets and like ... was the sub always this nasty? I know it's Storf and some folks don't like him (no comment personally) but just seems like a lot of people reading a lot into what are pretty innocent "I have a new job" tweets. I dunno. I don't keep up with the subreddit too much since I cancelled but I seem to remember it being less overtly toxic.
I mean it is Reddit. I’d be surprised if the community didn’t have some level of snark to them and there’s a couple pretentious phrasings in there. Didn’t seem that bad.

I mean it is Reddit. I’d be surprised if the community didn’t have some level of snark to them and there’s a couple pretentious phrasings in there. Didn’t seem that bad.

If Reddit were a meme:

1612928403446.png

Just looked through your link and some of them are just uncalled for, nasty is a great description.

With that being said he couldn't have worded it any worse. Basically saying he invented editorial (like its a brand new concept) and that now the hard part is done he's just passing it over. For someone that prides himself on his writing, you would have thought he could write a compliment without making it about himself.

Just looked through your link and some of them are just uncalled for, nasty is a great description.

With that being said he couldn't have worded it any worse. Basically saying he invented editorial (like its a brand new concept) and that now the hard part is done he's just passing it over. For someone that prides himself on his writing, you would have thought he could write a compliment without making it about himself.
Totally agree. As a consumer I feel well within my rights to state a piece of shit is a piece of shit if I've paid for it. And, given the multitudes of proofing my own papers go through, I find it incredible that VMP constantly lets publications slip through the door that are either littered with mistakes or appear to be subject to zero challenge on content or quality.

But stating a product and the process of publication of that product is a complete goatfuck is one thing. Taking it out on the person who wrote it is another. That reddit forum was pretty personal... About a guy who basically picks records and writes about them for a living.

K that Reddit thread wasn’t that bad. Storf is known to a lot of the VMP community and has for better or worse laid his personality out there and he’s divisive. I don’t see anything even close to offensive.

Also congratulations to Ameliah, she always seemed like a good egg and wrote some pieces that I genuinely enjoyed back in the day. There was an article with Mitski for that AoTM that was excellent.

K that Reddit thread wasn’t that bad. Storf is known to a lot of the VMP community and has for better or worse laid his personality out there and he’s divisive. I don’t see anything even close to offensive.
I guess I just learned that “snarky c*nt” is not offensive on your side of the pond...

I guess I just learned that “snarky c*nt” is not offensive on your side of the pond...

I mean he is? I don’t think I’m the only one on here whose been on the end of that kid of behaviour from him.

Also in the grand scheme of things take out the expletive flourish and is snarky that cutting?

Probably worth noting that that particular insult has different degrees of severity depending on locality too. I try to avoid the word more for the sexist connotations in the way it's used in the U.S. than anything else but the insult is a gasper in the U.S. and not so much in other places.

Anyway, I'm an outsider all the way here, but my understanding is that Storf has (had?) been active in these communities and many had negative interactions with him,, can't say I'm surprised if the "inventing the editorial" got that kind of response back. It is pretentious beyond belief and the product seems like it's not exactly worth that much back patting for the price they charge. *shrug*

Storf is snarky for sure, but thats about it for me, he seems like a good guy who just loves his job and music otherwise. I’ve had plenty of good interactions with him and always appreciated the behind the scenes insight he brought to the old forum/reddit. And snark doesnt offend me in the least bit

He also said “inventing our editorial department”. I get alot of y’all hate him but in no way did he claim to invent editorial...

Just saying that others, in that thread, claim to have experienced more negative interactions that are probably coloring the discussions on this front. I doubt if he was well liked by the masses to begin with the discussion goes that way. Shaded by prior experience. I'd also argue invent has a different meaning than developed or built up (both of which are probably more appropriate for what the statement was) and if your job was writing and editorial you know the words you're using.

Anyway, Reddit is a ruder website than many. "Snarky ****", "Wanker", etc. are dramatically tamer than others get even if they probably don't need to be said.

Edit: The one other thing that was a bit of an eye roller was the "I knew from the moment I read her clips that she'd..." phrasing. So, that's much more of a personal pet peeve, but generally when you're praising someone else you really don't want to bring it back to yourself. I've done a decent amount of superlative writing about other folks in a business capacity and it just makes it look like you're patting yourself on the back when you do it: LOOK WHO I FOUND AND I KNEW IT. I don't think that's what he was doing here but it was the initial emotional feeling it gave off. People who don't like it should just ignore and move on (which I'll totally do now).

Last edited:
Edit: The one other thing that was a bit of an eye roller was the "I knew from the moment I read her clips that she'd..." phrasing. So, that's much more of a personal pet peeve, but generally when you're praising someone else you really don't want to bring it back to yourself. I've done a decent amount of superlative writing about other folks in a business capacity and it just makes it look like you're patting yourself on the back when you do it: LOOK WHO I FOUND AND I KNEW IT. I don't think that's what he was doing here but it was the initial emotional feeling it gave off.
One of my mates can't deal with the phrase 'legend has it'. You can see the inner torment everytime he hears it 😂

Back