Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I usually try to be diplomatic in my opinions. But...
If colors rope you in, you’re a sucker. Straight up. No debate. Stone-cold sucker.
Now, if it’s the best sounding or only available or easy to get then moot point.
But if that’s your main deciding factor and it gets you salivating...sucker.

Only a little more than half of the people who buy vinyl actually ever listen to them, at least as of 4 years ago. People collect things for different reasons.

Only a little more than half of the people who buy vinyl actually ever listen to them, at least as of 4 years ago. People collect things for different reasons.
I've shared this so many times since @Thackeraye linked it, but I binged this fantastic podcast the other day (Listen to our complete podcast series on The World of Vinyl Today - The Vinyl Factory) and at the time of recording (2016) it was 33% of all vinyl were bought without being played, presumably for displaying on walls etc. They even talk about how places like John Lewis were selling records with frames as a bundle.

Madness if you ask me.

Yes....collecting things in general is where I try to maintain the most diplomacy. There are plenty of people in my life who will shortly get a glazed look in their eyes if I start talking about records. It's not for them, even if think it is awesome. So, in the same vein, when I hear of someone who collects something that I'm just not into I try to extend the same love I have for what I'm into to what they're into.

I may not like pogs, but if you do I'm not gonna knock you for spending $40 on that bitchin' chrome slammer. 'Cause I want the same courtesy extended to me when you find out I got my third pressing of record X, Y, Z because this one has a different mix or a different engineer or an alternate cover where you can see a clearly-defined bulge in the leader singer's pants.

Collections are an interesting thing. I remember reading something about people who collect things (I believe, if I'm remembering correctly they used records, comic books, and some other things) and the idea that it is an externalization of the self - a way to further differentiate us as individuals and unique. It is a way signal who we are and what we're about - in part.

So I do try to remain open-minded about hobbies that others have 'cause....glass houses, ya know?

I once went down the rabbit hole that is vinyl on instagram, and woah are there some strange vinyl "influencers." Seems like we're almost a minority by actually caring about how our vinyl sounds rather than how it looks or how cool it is to own.
This is such an interesting point. Just over a year ago I set myself a challenge to post 1 album each day on instagram (shameless link - Selaws Spins Instagram), with a write-up, any info I learn whilst reading up on it (which is something I do regardless), and pressing info etc. There's some others that do similar things which are super interesting and sparks some really good debate (the amount of PM's I receive with recommendations, questions, additional info, etc is fantastic).

To counter this there's people that will literally post their sealed record with all the 'sale points' below, colour, limited number, and (very weirdly) the high price they paid. I really don't get that side of instagram, but each to their own I guess.

Looks like VMP are 'curating' the Ayalew Mesfin releases from Now Again on their store. Not sure what the price difference is but I imagine these will be available cheaper in a few months?

Edit: I have just seen that they are limited to 100, I assume thats just how many VMP have to sell, as opposed to the actual pressing numbers?

Screenshot 2020-09-04 at 17.09.52.png

This is such an interesting point. Just over a year ago I set myself a challenge to post 1 album each day on instagram (shameless link - Selaws Spins Instagram), with a write-up, any info I learn whilst reading up on it (which is something I do regardless), and pressing info etc. There's some others that do similar things which are super interesting and sparks some really good debate (the amount of PM's I receive with recommendations, questions, additional info, etc is fantastic).

To counter this there's people that will literally post their sealed record with all the 'sale points' below, colour, limited number, and (very weirdly) the high price they paid. I really don't get that side of instagram, but each to their own I guess.

Followed !

Yes....collecting things in general is where I try to maintain the most diplomacy. There are plenty of people in my life who will shortly get a glazed look in their eyes if I start talking about records. It's not for them, even if think it is awesome. So, in the same vein, when I hear of someone who collects something that I'm just not into I try to extend the same love I have for what I'm into to what they're into.

I may not like pogs, but if you do I'm not gonna knock you for spending $40 on that bitchin' chrome slammer. 'Cause I want the same courtesy extended to me when you find out I got my third pressing of record X, Y, Z because this one has a different mix or a different engineer or an alternate cover where you can see a clearly-defined bulge in the leader singer's pants.

Collections are an interesting thing. I remember reading something about people who collect things (I believe, if I'm remembering correctly they used records, comic books, and some other things) and the idea that it is an externalization of the self - a way to further differentiate us as individuals and unique. It is a way signal who we are and what we're about - in part.

So I do try to remain open-minded about hobbies that others have 'cause....glass houses, ya know?
I think another thing to take into consideration aside from the fact that half of the people who buy records don't even own a record player is the fact that at least half of the people that do have a turntable have one that is on the very low end of the audio spectrum. For them its about the nostalgia or novelty of spinning vinyl.

Who knows how you'd calculate it, but I would venture to guess that only about 15-20% of the people who buy vinyl have a setup that can reveal the differences in various mastering and pressing qualities. And that might be optimistic.

I know quite a few people younger than me who buy records at shows (RIP live concerts) to support the artist but never rip open the shrink wrap.

The first record I ever bought was during the post-CD pre-streaming era. I was trying to be an adult and buy music instead of pirating and when I went to pre-order the album digitally, it was $2 more to get the vinyl, so I went ahead and bought it to get something physical with my purchase. I didn't get a turntable for another 3 years or so.

I also think there's a direct line between the non-listener buyers and the affordable reissue series that have popped up recently that we all love so much. Tone Poet can't happen without a critical mass of vinyl buying public. Not to mention represses of long out of print albums.

I think another thing to take into consideration aside from the fact that half of the people who buy records don't even own a record player is the fact that at least half of the people that do have a turntable have one that is on the very low end of the audio spectrum. For them its about the nostalgia or novelty of spinning vinyl.

Who knows how you'd calculate it, but I would venture to guess that only about 15-20% of the people who buy vinyl have a setup that can reveal the differences in various mastering and pressing qualities. And that might be optimistic.

I know quite a few people younger than me who buy records at shows (RIP live concerts) to support the artist but never rip open the shrink wrap.
Oh, no! Small tweaks and larger overhauls are part of the adventure! I'll gladly go on a vinyl diet to buy an amp, phonostage, etc. that I've been eyeballing.

But I'm also a fan of digital.

So, primarily I love physical media. Of that - the larger jackets and (potential) auditory revelations from a proper setup of vinyl puts that on top.

But I think a blind eye to what a proper digital set-up can do (as I've heard many who won't touch anything but vinyl) is actively self-sabotaging. A good CD transport or, IMO, SACD player into a well-tuned main system (or if forgoing physical media - a good network player) will be lightyears ahead of a record on a lower end setup; or very well go toe-to-toe w/ vinyl on an equivalent set-up.

But, yes, if it's for nostalgia/novelty then those are needless calculations.

Looks like VMP are 'curating' the Ayalew Mesfin releases from Now Again on their store. Not sure what the price difference is but I imagine these will be available cheaper in a few months?

Edit: I have just seen that they are limited to 100, I assume thats just how many VMP have to sell, as opposed to the actual pressing numbers?

View attachment 64687

They're all available on Now-Again's Bandcamp, including a box set bundle for $100. And hey, today's Bandcamp Friday!

I wish I had more money, I'd be all over that box set.

Oh yeah, there are without a doubt some great vinyl instagrams. I follow a ton that have led me to some great music. But, posting with your brand new expensive records next to a running river in the middle of nowhere is...baffling to say the least.

The one guy in front of me while I was waiting in line for RSD said that like 99% of his collection is sealed. Listens to the music digitally but collects vinyl. Different strokes.

I consider myself an upright citizen. I follow the law, I pay taxes, I pick up after my dog.
But if I ever become friendly with someone and they have a bunch of grails sealed and framed on their wall, then that friendly visit is going to turn into a casing cause imma be doing a little light breaking and entering in the near future.

Point of frustration: it's cheaper for me to buy the VMP variant of Dashboard Confessional's MTV Unplugged than it is to buy it directly from the band's website. Shipping is ridiculous!

should i just buy MTV unplugged

i liked the other 2 dashboard albums and stuff but i dunno if i want this one and i need to do a bit more work (i think i just dont like live albums)

Back