Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Yeah, this is a callback to the days when they curated records from labels/bands for which VMP had no responsibility with anything other than taking orders and delivery. Now Again just gave them 100 of each.

The individual albums are $1 cheaper elsewhere, so overall less expensive with VMP if you have a membership (free shipping). *HOWEVER*, if you want all of them, then the $100 box set is a much better way to go.

If you have the essentials release and go with all 4 exclusives - Well that’s a large dose of medicine.

Yeah this is what I'm like with that Eilish Live at TMR. It's a fun little LP and she does a great stripped down job on it and the direct to acetate actually sounds really good, but the 20 or so girls singing over every song gets... grating. The one girl who screams "COME ON!" during every song is kinda my hero for just not giving a fuck but also I hate her so much.
Yeah, that Pressing sounds great and I love it, but kinda wish there was a bit less of the crowd in there. I still love playing it though and like you said, this Third Man pressing sounds great! 👍

I love that you love Billie Eilish too Mather! 😍🙊

And in terms of collecting, my desire to get into vinyl actually started only about five years ago when I stayed at an AIrbnb in Old Quebec City. It was a loft in a old tabacco factory and the owner had very nice taste in... things... In the rental unit he had a hard drive based digital system that was running through a pair of Sonos Faber Olympica II speakers. In the RENTAL unit, I'd love to know what his home system was. These things were $14,000 for the pair. It took me about two days to figure out how to use the system because of how the harddrive was setup but once I got it going I listened to Nirvana Unplugged and Dark Side Of The Moon in high res digital and it honestly brought a tear to my eye. And when I left there I knew I had to upgrade my system to get to that point because it was the most incredible listening experience I'd ever heard. And like many others I was sick of the disposable digital world and wanted to get back to the actual tangible aspect of music and collecting. The "art" of it I suppose. So six years later here I am and I can safely say I've now surpassed the sound that system was putting out and that makes me GIDDY everytime I pick something out to put on my deck.
This is such a beautiful story! This was really inspiring to read! It makes me excited to upgrade my speakers in the future and to also upgrade my overall turntable set in the future! I really want to go to your house and listen to your records on your setup!

I also agree 100% about the getting the black vinyl if it’s a better sounding pressing than the coloured vinyl! Sound quality will always be my #1 priority! Of course it needs to be reasonably priced though! Like I’m not paying AUD$250 for a great Third Man pressing of De Stijl that’s better than the VMP pressing when I can get the new Abbey Road Half-Speed Sade Boxset for that price!

The one guy in front of me while I was waiting in line for RSD said that like 99% of his collection is sealed. Listens to the music digitally but collects vinyl. Different strokes.
It’s even weirder to me that people do this with sneakers. I’ve known people that would buy 2 of the same sneakers wear one and keep the other pair untouched in the box to collect. As someone who only buys sneakers after my toe pokes through the front this is even strangers to me then not playing records.

I play alll of mine but I guess I can see how some kids would like to display the covers as art .

Favorite sing-along live moment is Prince's cover of Sweet Thing here at 4:20. Talk about feeling it.
Prince was just So. Much. Better than everyone. It's amazing to me every time I watch him. Even when we used to play together I'd have to stop sometimes and just remind myself to snap back in and catch up. Crazy. (He'd give you that look if you fell behind -- like James Brown fining your ass, but with more spiritual disappoinment)

Note: We never played together. Ever. I have no musical talent. But everything else is true. He made a guitar disappear at the damn hall of fame. The man was a superhero. Thanks for posting this one.

Prince was just So. Much. Better than everyone. It's amazing to me every time I watch him. Even when we used to play together I'd have to stop sometimes and just remind myself to snap back in and catch up. Crazy. (He'd give you that look if you fell behind -- like James Brown fining your ass, but with more spiritual disappoinment)

Note: We never played together. Ever. I have no musical talent. But everything else is true. He made a guitar disappear at the damn hall of fame. The man was a superhero. Thanks for posting this one.
Prince is my all time favourite artist! I love the guy so much! I love love love love love Prince! Words can’t describe how much I love him! ♥️

I play guitar. And I love most of the usual suspects of guitar greats and had a love affair with the "virtuous" in my early 20's (the Vai's and Satriani's of this world). But Prince is my all-time favorite artist. When other guitar players don't recognize his amazing guitar (among other instruments) skills, I go straight to that HoF video and show them what's up.

Omg, I can’t believe how much me and you both have in Common! 😍🙉
Except Common...not a big fan (although I did like him in my early 20's)

I saw him on the Musicology tour in Las Vegas way back when. I wish I saw him more, but I went through a period of anxiety in public spaces and didn't go to concerts for a long time a couple years after that concert, so I never went to see him again. But it was fantastic. Never felt like a legacy act just cashing in on great, older tunes.

I play guitar. And I love most of the usual suspects of guitar greats and had a love affair with the "virtuous" in my early 20's (the Vai's and Satriani's of this world). But Prince is my all-time favorite artist. When other guitar players don't recognize his amazing guitar (among other instruments) skills, I go straight to that HoF video and show them what's up.
And not even just a great guitar player. He wrote, arranged produced and performed nearly every song on his early albums. He was an absolute musical genius.

i only recently found out that there’s a pressing of his self-titled that was remastered by Bernie Grundman and cut by Kevin Gray so this conversation made me pull the trigger on it.

One of my biggest musical regrets was that I was in Chicago for work once and found out Prince was performing the night I was heading back to NY. And Janelle Monae was the opener. I got as far as calling the airline to see how much it would cost to change my flight but I couldn’t really justify (or afford) at the time to pay for the ticket and book a hotel and change my flight...he’s one of those artists I kept saying “oh I’ll go see him next time he’s in NY” and I never got the chance to.

And not even just a great guitar player. He wrote, arranged produced and performed nearly every song on his early albums. He was an absolute musical genius.

i only recently found out that there’s a pressing of his self-titled that was remastered by Bernie Grundman and cut by Kevin Gray so this conversation made me pull the trigger on it.

One of my biggest musical regrets was that I was in Chicago for work once and found out Prince was performing the night I was heading back to NY. And Janelle Monae was the opener. I got as far as calling the airline to see how much it would cost to change my flight but I couldn’t really justify (or afford) at the time to pay for the ticket and book a hotel and change my flight...he’s one of those artists I kept saying “oh I’ll go see him next time he’s in NY” and I never got the chance to.
The 2016 pressing? I've got that - it's a good one.

It wasn't till the next album, Dirty Mind, that the Minneapolis sound truly became what it would be but the S/T has got some jams - the opener is a fantastic song.

The 2016 pressing? I've got that - it's a good one.

It wasn't till the next album, Dirty Mind, that the Minneapolis sound truly became what it would be but the S/T has got some jams - the opener is a fantastic song.
yep the 2016 pressing. Dirty Mind and the self-titles might be my two favorite albums of his. But he has so many great records and songs.

Back