Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I already purchased that Sade boxset, because I love Sade and the mastering/pressing details sound superb! But what I will do is start selling some of my records soon online, and to record stores! That will give me some extra money to splurge on things I do really want!

I definitely won't buy Alfredo off Discogs because it will be too expensive. I'll only purchase it from the VMP store as that's the only way I'll ever be able to get a decently priced copy of it! I'll contact CS when Alfredo starts shipping out and will see if they can give me a copy!
That's the spirit! You seem a good egg and I'd hate to think of you ending up gazing longingly at faded polaroids of your former record collection while drinking your own piss out of a carrier bag and living under a bridge because you were financially ruined by just going for that one pin wheel variant too many.

That's the spirit! You seem a good egg and I'd hate to think of you ending up gazing longingly at faded polaroids of your former record collection while drinking your own piss out of a carrier bag and living under a bridge because you were financially ruined by just going for that one pin wheel variant too many.
Lol. Faded Polaroids?

Is he like an indigent hipster in this scenario?

I usually try to be diplomatic in my opinions. But...
If colors rope you in, you’re a sucker. Straight up. No debate. Stone-cold sucker.
Now, if it’s the best sounding or only available or easy to get then moot point.
But if that’s your main deciding factor and it gets you salivating...sucker.
I do agree with this but I do love a really good looking colour variant! But sound quality is #1 for me! I'll choose a black copy that sounds better over a colour variant for sure! That's why I hunted down the AP pressing for Eric Dolphy's Out There! It sounds much better than the VMP pressing! I'm going to try and also get the AP pressing for Sonny Rollins Saxaphone Colossus as I'm sure it'll also sound better than the VMP pressing! Also, I like jazz being black pressings too! 😃

And I'm replacing my Britney Spears coloured vinyl with the new coloured vinyl editions as they have less surface noise and sound a bit better! I'm just gonna sell my other Britney Spears coloured variants! 👍💡💰

Definitely sound quality is #1 for me! I am all about it, that's why we listen to vinyl! But I can't help but love coloured editions too! It's fun! Like I always like replacing my black copies of hip-hop albums like Mobb Deep and Raekwon and NaS, with cool looking coloured variants because why not! :cool:🙈

Any news if those Sade albums are gonna go out singularly?

I don’t find their discog strong enough for all those albums and would love to cherry pick - in fact, I dont think any of their albums are knockout classics and they work better on singles. But I wouldn’t mind grabbing 2-3 of them.
No news yet, but I'll try and update you if I hear anything! Hopefully they do sell the pressings for each album individually too!

I usually don't like every album from an artisi's/band's discography, especially if they have 5+ albums, but Sade's discography is so strong and I think all six of their albums are great! I love Sade so much! They're amazing!

No news yet, but I'll try and update you if I hear anything! Hopefully they do sell the pressings for each album individually too!

I usually don't like every album from an artisi's/band's discography, especially if they have 5+ albums, but Sade's discography is so strong and I think all six of their albums are great! I love Sade so much! They're amazing!
I don’t agree that the discog is that strong. There are some amazing songs. And she certainly has a distinctively smooth voice. But mixed w the smooth instrumentation - it’s just too smooth. Sexy, sure. But it’s milquetoast sexy; a silhouette of sexy; an approximation but safe and tepid. Most of their albums there are a few great tracks I’d love to spin and others I just need to get through. I think the idea “Sade” is stronger than the actual music. YMMV, of course.

On colors, when all else is equal or within a few bucks, I spring for the color - it makes resale easier and usually appreciates in value. It's great because I can ensure that I try something I like and can resell later if I lose interest for a likely profit that can be used to buy more records. There's just a lot of desirability on the secondary market and I like having that option..

Unfortunately, labels have gotten to the point where they think they can profit up front and I'm starting to see larger and larger gaps in price. At that point, it isn't worth it for me to pay $10-15 more for a color variant.

Other than looking at it when I go to play it, there isn't a lot that the color does for me.

also get the AP pressing for Sonny Rollins Saxaphone Colossus
For what it's worth, if you have the VMP version of this, I'd stick with that instead of spending the extra money on an AP. The VMP one used the same plates as the DCC series which is one of the most well-regarded sounding series in the past 20-30 years. The majority of DCC pressings sell for a lot of money. I really wanted to grab the Al Green's Greatest Hits DCC but the prices are insane now.

I don’t agree that the discog is that strong. There are some amazing songs. And she certainly has a distinctively smooth voice. But mixed w the smooth instrumentation - it’s just too smooth. Sexy, sure. But it’s milquetoast sexy; a silhouette of sexy; an approximation but safe and tepid. Most of their albums there are a few great tracks I’d love to spin and others I just need to get through. I think the idea “Sade” is stronger than the actual music. YMMV, of course.
NO NO NO NO NO!

Here are my feelings on just one of their albums! Someone recently asked me what was my favourite Sade album and why, and this is what I said:

Love Deluxe, as it’s a luxurious, rich, intimate, submersive, pristine white sand beach, secluded island, liquid rush of desire, soft pebbles, translucent sounding album! 🌴🌊

Love Deluxe is a very unique, atmospheric, watery, deep, fragile, lonely yet warm album! The saxophone, intricate guitar lines, deep drums and slinking percussion let your mind run away to somewhere crystalline and pure! 💎🥥🏝

Love Deluxe is an ethereal, romantic, sultry, sensual quiet storm masterpiece! It is undoubtedly one of the best albums of the 90’s! 🍷🎷

I could explain why I think every Sade album is great, and each Sade album is uniquely different to the next! What I really enjoy with Sade's albums are that each one of them has its own particular aesthetic, and Sade stays faithful to it! Each album is sonically focused in my opinion! If you were with me whilst I played Sade's albums on the turntable, you would change your mind, I'm sure! Like, it's Sade!!! 😭🍇🏆💎

For what it's worth, if you have the VMP version of this, I'd stick with that instead of spending the extra money on an AP. The VMP one used the same plates as the DCC series which is one of the most well-regarded sounding series in the past 20-30 years. The majority of DCC pressings sell for a lot of money. I really wanted to grab the Al Green's Greatest Hits DCC but the prices are insane now.
Yeah, the VMP pressing does actually sound really good for Saxaphone Colossus! I'm definitely happy with it, but have the impression the AP pressing would sound much better! One reviewer on Discogs said the soundstage and separation of instruments on the AP pressing was amazing! But yeah, the VMP pressing for Saxaphone Colossus will definitely be fine for now :)

On colors, when all else is equal or within a few bucks, I spring for the color - it makes resale easier and usually appreciates in value. It's great because I can ensure that I try something I like and can resell later if I lose interest for a likely profit that can be used to buy more records. There's just a lot of desirability on the secondary market and I like having that option..

Unfortunately, labels have gotten to the point where they think they can profit up front and I'm starting to see larger and larger gaps in price. At that point, it isn't worth it for me to pay $10-15 more for a color variant.

Other than looking at it when I go to play it, there isn't a lot that the color does for me.
Yeah, like I'm happy I'll be able to resell my Britney Spears pressings for the same price I paid for them, but I feel like it's a bit harder for me to resell because I'm in Australia, and don't want to ship overseas really anymore. I never look at buying records from an investment/value sense though. I probably don't look into investment with anything otherwise I probably never would've taken out my whole Superfund haha

But I do really love a really good looking colour variant. Like The Peace's 'Black Power' VMP colour variant looks so good, I'm tempted to buy it! I am streaming and listening to the album and am enjoying it, but don't know if I want to drop $33 on it. But that colour variant is sick! Never seen anything like it!

You are VMP’s ideal customer haha.
I am the customer that cares about 5 main things when it comes to purchasing vinyl. VMP ticks all those boxes and that's why they are my favourite record store!

Great looking colour variants = ✅
Quality sounding pressings = ✅
Free international shipping = ✅
Diverse range of exclusives = ✅
Generous replacement policy for defected records = ✅

I love Acoustic Records and Sam Records, but shipping is expensive. They don't do hip-hop/pop/disco kinda exclusives. They do amazing sounding pressings, but so do VMP with their Classics track. And VMP have free international shipping for add-ons/their exclusives!

VMP is the best in my opinion and I can see why they have been such a successful business and why they are by far the most popular record club! I love them so much! VMP having those 3 ROTM tracks is impressive, and the picks they have for most ROTM's are great in my opinion too!

Yeah, the VMP pressing does actually sound really good for Saxaphone Colossus! I'm definitely happy with it, but have the impression the AP pressing would sound much better! One reviewer on Discogs said the soundstage and separation of instruments on the AP pressing was amazing! But yeah, the VMP pressing for Saxaphone Colossus will definitely be fine for now :)
Yea--there are a few really good sounding pressings of it but I'm perfectly happy with the VMP one. And since the cheapest AP is now $175, I personally don't think it's worth it. Also worth noting that people seem to think that this version is from the same stampers as the AP. Those KG stampers got loaned out a lot for other pressings.

tenor.gif

NO NO NO NO NO!

Here are my feelings on just one of their albums! Someone recently asked me what was my favourite Sade album and why, and this is what I said:

Love Deluxe, as it’s a luxurious, rich, intimate, submersive, pristine white sand beach, secluded island, liquid rush of desire, soft pebbles, translucent sounding album! 🌴🌊

Love Deluxe is a very unique, atmospheric, watery, deep, fragile, lonely yet warm album! The saxophone, intricate guitar lines, deep drums and slinking percussion let your mind run away to somewhere crystalline and pure! 💎🥥🏝

Love Deluxe is an ethereal, romantic, sultry, sensual quiet storm masterpiece! It is undoubtedly one of the best albums of the 90’s! 🍷🎷

I could explain why I think every Sade album is great, and each Sade album is uniquely different to the next! What I really enjoy with Sade's albums are that each one of them has its own particular aesthetic, and Sade stays faithful to it! Each album is sonically focused in my opinion! If you were with me whilst I played Sade's albums on the turntable, you would change your mind, I'm sure! Like, it's Sade!!! 😭🍇🏆💎
You know, if you take away all the emojis, all you’re left with is a string of adjectives.

Yea--there are a few really good sounding pressings of it but I'm perfectly happy with the VMP one. And since the cheapest AP is now $175, I personally don't think it's worth it. Also worth noting that people seem to think that this version is from the same stampers as the AP. Those KG stampers got loaned out a lot for other pressings.

tenor.gif
And not only does the VMP pressing sound great for Saxaphone Colossus, it looks great too! :love:👍

You've certainly caught the AP bug! I have to agree with @MikeH on this one, from what I have read the VMP pressing of Saxophone Colossus isnt a million miles away from the AP pressing. When you consider you already have the VMP pressing I would just stick to that buddy. Save your money for something else.

So this thing with colours... I take the Vinyl out and put it on the turntable. At that point I see the colour. I then sit down and don't see it again till I either flip it or put it away again so my whole colour admiring experience probably accounts for about for about 1 minute max of the whole record playing experience. I suppose if I was stood over the LP the whole time I'd get more... But I'd also be too close to my speakers and standing up for 30 minutes so it would kind of screw with the experience. On that basis coloured vinyl in my setup... Its a bit shit really
Wait a minute, you're not supposed to stand directly in front of your record player staring at it spinning the whole time? Damn, I've been doing it all wrong.

Damn, I hope I get some shipping notices soon. I have 10 pre-orders (plus 2 for @Skalap) that are showing in stock but 'Pending'.

I still haven't gotten My white Stripes 7".. I did however get 4 single emails for four other records, 3 were this month's three tracks (swaps for 2). So i guess another email is in order. Subject line will be "Lost Sounds.. Found??"

Speaking of the Herbie boxset, I just picked up the Speakers Corner pressing of Crossings... Holy Flaming Jesus Christ On A HotCross Bun it is insane sounding. Like, off the charts incredible pressing. I know the actual music on it won't be for everyone but if you like his Mwandishi fusion phase WOW.

Yeah VMP just used the same stampers that OJC uses for Sax Colossus — which were the DCC stampers from the 90s cut by Kevin Gray/Steve Hoffman that sounds incredible. Same as the AP I believe but the AP was pressed at QRP so it's probably a bit quieter, higher QC pressing.

You can get the AAA OJC off amazon for llke $20 still:ROLLINS, SONNY - Saxophone Colossus [Vinyl] - Amazon.com Music

Back