Vinyl Me, Please Rock

the original tapes aren't brickwalled; but iggy mixed using those and the resulting mix from that is likely brickwalled because that's just what 1997 was like all the fucking time. I'm assuming. No way to know until it's in someone's hands and they listen to it.
Ahhh I get what you are saying. Yeah I doubt there is an unbrickwalled version then…

There a way to do this if I already have for essential?
So you’re currently subscribed but don’t want to wait for renewal time for the deal? If you email CS they can cancel your current sub (you’ll get credited for however many months are left) and then can sign up with a new sub to select the free records. That’s what I did a couple of weeks ago.

So you’re currently subscribed but don’t want to wait for renewal time for the deal? If you email CS they can cancel your current sub (you’ll get credited for however many months are left) and then can sign up with a new sub to select the free records. That’s what I did a couple of weeks ago.

I already renewed a year of essential and got the free ones. I would happily pay for another year of Classics and rock for the same deal

Hmmm, I don’t have that Strokes record on vinyl and I’m curious to see what that Stooges record ends up sounding like. I have the 2xLP version and prefer the Iggy mix, but mainly because I spent years playing it on shitty car stereo speakers and it’s just the version I know. I do wish the vinyl version was an improvement over blasting it in my car but whatever.

Might do a three month dip into this track and swap Sublime because it does not spark joy.

Listening to Is This It to make sure I really need a copy of it. Part of me wants to just get the We Are Vinyl euro press from 2020 instead. It would be around the same price as getting the VMP version and I like the "too hot for the US" cover better. Honestly wouldn't miss When It Started. I dunno. I guess it's not like I'm listening to the cover, but still.

Listening to Is This It to make sure I really need a copy of it. Part of me wants to just get the We Are Vinyl euro press from 2020 instead. It would be around the same price as getting the VMP version and I like the "too hot for the US" cover better. Honestly wouldn't miss When It Started. I dunno. I guess it's not like I'm listening to the cover, but still.
I think the cover is a contributing factor to vinyl collecting, definitely part of the appeal over just streaming it. Your viewpoint is valid

you might try this option if you decide for the euro cover. there shipping to the us is normally not that high, so you might end up a lot cheaper than the vmp version

Decided to swap for The Strokes this month - my current copy is nothing special (mid-10s repress), getting the extra song is cool, and they did a great job with Room On Fire so I’m hoping this follows suit. I’ll be in for ZZ, STP, and maybe Stooges once we get more confirmation on the mix/mastering.

you might try this option if you decide for the euro cover. there shipping to the us is normally not that high, so you might end up a lot cheaper than the vmp version

That is the copy I have and it sounds great. Nice flat quiet pressing too. I like the album but I'm not a big enough fan to buy another copy.

Decided to swap for The Strokes this month - my current copy is nothing special (mid-10s repress), getting the extra song is cool, and they did a great job with Room On Fire so I’m hoping this follows suit. I’ll be in for ZZ, STP, and maybe Stooges once we get more confirmation on the mix/mastering.

Stooges mastering/mixing is the Iggy Mix cut AAA from the tapes by Ryan Smith. Not sure about Tres Hombres other than it's Ryan Smith also.

Stooges mastering/mixing is the Iggy Mix cut AAA from the tapes by Ryan Smith. Not sure about Tres Hombres other than it's Ryan Smith also.
How is Raw Power supposed to work? I thought Iggy essentially just remixed the Bowie mix for the 1997 release (which itself was a remix of Pop’s first attempt at mixing the record) in Pro Tools. Did he actually remix the master tape or copy of the tape? I have the RSD release with both and actually like the Iggy mix a little more. It supposedly sounds way better on the vinyl release than when it first came out on CD in 97. Is it just a reissue of that?

How is Raw Power supposed to work? I thought Iggy essentially just remixed the Bowie mix for the 1997 release (which itself was a remix of Pop’s first attempt at mixing the record) in Pro Tools. Did he actually remix the master tape or copy of the tape? I have the RSD release with both and actually like the Iggy mix a little more. It supposedly sounds way better on the vinyl release than when it first came out on CD in 97. Is it just a reissue of that?

new cut by Ryan K Smith. Apparently they put Iggy in a room with the tape and a mixing console and let him do what he wanted, no pro tools. I think this actual remixing event happened in the early 90s but wasn't released until '97. VMP said they were surprised when Sony offered them a dub of the analog tape, were expecting digital but apparently it was done analog.

new cut by Ryan K Smith. Apparently they put Iggy in a room with the tape and a mixing console and let him do what he wanted, no pro tools. I think this actual remixing event happened in the early 90s but wasn't released until '97. VMP said they were surprised when Sony offered them a dub of the analog tape, were expecting digital but apparently it was done analog.
Sweet! That’s awesome! I’m assuming the Ryan Smith cut will be similar to the Kevin Gray RSD one then. I might have to dip in and get this one too. The RSD was cut at United. I haven’t played it in awhile but pretty sure my copy is a little noisy.

Sweet! That’s awesome! I’m assuming the Ryan Smith cut will be similar to the Kevin Gray RSD one then. I might have to dip in and get this one too. The RSD was cut at United. I haven’t played it in awhile but pretty sure my copy is a little noisy.

I already have the Kevin Gray 2fer too, but I'm getting to VMP mostly for fancy packaging, and it'll be cool to see how it sounds AAA/RKS .

Back