Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

I'm sticking with DU as the 1990 album:
Tommy Boy
(Per Wiki) 4 core members, 5 if you count Humpty Hump (I have had friends act like Shock G and Humpty Hump are different people, yes my friends are assholes and I love them just the same!)

I can't get behind Brand Nubian being a lock, I've never thought of them having 4 or 5 members I'd argue most people would say there are just 3 members of the group!

I'd love it too be PE or BDP but again it's a bit of a stretch to get there, do people really count Man and His Music as an official release? Are the S1W's a single member of the group, are the Bomb Squad a member?

Call me crazy but it always seems to be like this every month, lots of great suggestions, so many better choices and they just kind of settle on the 5th or 6th best choice... I am still down for DU but I know it's not going to be the full cassette tracklist which is what I really want from that album!

So if that numbers clue is number of members:

July: Solo album from 2001
August: OutKast - ATLiens
September: Digital Underground - Sex Packets or Brand Nubian - One For All

If the numbers clue is album number in discography:

July: Debut album from 2001
September: BDP - Edutainment
or
July: N.E.R.D. - In Search Of...
August: Sophomore album from 1996

So if that numbers clue is number of members:

July: Solo album from 2001
September: Digital Underground - Sex Packets or Brand Nubian - One For All

If the numbers clue is album number in discography:

July: Debut album from 2001
or
July: N.E.R.D. - In Search Of...
August: Sophomore album from 1996
Man if it's ATLiens and Sep Essentials is either Wu/ATCQ I'm all in on a 3 month sub and change over to Essentials for Sep drop

I'm sticking with DU as the 1990 album:
Tommy Boy
(Per Wiki) 4 core members, 5 if you count Humpty Hump (I have had friends act like Shock G and Humpty Hump are different people, yes my friends are assholes and I love them just the same!)

I can't get behind Brand Nubian being a lock, I've never thought of them having 4 or 5 members I'd argue most people would say there are just 3 members of the group!

I'd love it too be PE or BDP but again it's a bit of a stretch to get there, do people really count Man and His Music as an official release? Are the S1W's a single member of the group, are the Bomb Squad a member?

Call me crazy but it always seems to be like this every month, lots of great suggestions, so many better choices and they just kind of settle on the 5th or 6th best choice... I am still down for DU but I know it's not going to be the full cassette tracklist which is what I really want from that album!
I hope it's the cassette track list.

its got to be outkast because i cant think of other sophomore albums that came out in 1996

I mean there is it was written.. but we know storfs nas veto

there's jeru the damaja's wrath of the math but that is such a super niche choice I feel like there is almost no proof

the only other DUO i can think of that would really be worth it for 96 was mobb deeps hell on earth but it feels unlikely too

the solo album is probably something like miss E so addictive or maybe labor days by aesop rock

its got to be outkast because i cant think of other sophomore albums that came out in 1996

I mean there is it was written.. but we know storfs nas veto

there's jeru the damaja's wrath of the math but that is such a super niche choice I feel like there is almost no proof

the only other DUO i can think of that would really be worth it for 96 was mobb deeps hell on earth but it feels unlikely too
The ‘2’ in the clue for 1996 is very likely to represent the number of people who make up the group! ✅

Why have we made that assumption? Because there is no album from 1990 that fits the ‘either 4 or 5’ clue! What album was potentially the 4th released in 1990, which others see it as their 5th album in the discography!?! 💡

As a result, 1996 will be either Mobb Deep’s Hell On Earth, OutKast’s ATLiens or Heltah Skeltah’s Nocturnal! All three albums are spectacular!!! 🎖🎖🎖

OutKast ATLiens is the front runner because of the 3rd clue Storf gave in regards to the R&HH track (repeat artist for the first time)! 👾

NaS’ It Was Written would be magnificent, and it makes me a bit sad that VMP will likely never touch it! 😔

the solo album is probably something like miss E so addictive or maybe labor days by aesop rock
I sure hope so! They are the two solo hip-hop albums from 2001 I’m will receive the VMP treatment! I’ll be over the moon if it’s either one of them! 😍

Nathan, whilst I don't disagree with you that it's likely to be ATLiens and I'm also hoping for DU or Brand Nubian for the 1990 LP, you are massively overlooking the fact that BDP's Edutainment fits the 1990 clue perfectly if you are looking at it being the 4th or 5th album of a group's catalogue... I don't want it to be Edutainment and I don't think it will be Edutainment but to state that there is no other album that fits the clue is plain wrong... just saying...

Nathan, whilst I don't disagree with you that it's likely to be ATLiens and I'm also hoping for DU or Brand Nubian for the 1990 LP, you are massively overlooking the fact that BDP's Edutainment fits the 1990 clue perfectly if you are looking at it being the 4th or 5th album of a group's catalogue... I don't want it to be Edutainment and I don't think it will be Edutainment but to state that there is no other album that fits the clue is plain wrong... just saying...

I wouldn't be mad if it was Edutainment, it's not my first (or 4th or possibly 5th) choice from BDP but If it at least helps kick open the door for more Jive records releases I'd take it... Oh and it's totally DU...

I wouldn't be mad if it was Edutainment, it's not my first (or 4th or possibly 5th) choice from BDP but If it at least helps kick open the door for more Jive records releases I'd take it... Oh and it's totally DU...
Hamilton, Ontario eh... I went to school there at McMaster some 20 odd years ago now... hosted a college radio show with Koushik (who went on to sign with Stones Throw) and a few other friends... good times...

It’s clearly Boogie Down Productions 4th album though! Boogie Down Productions also had a remix, and an instrumental album for Criminal Minded. However you look at it, Edutainment is either their 4th or 6th album!

I felt like that rules it out. It’s not 4th or 5th; but is 4th or 6th! The clue said (1, 2, 5 (or 4 depending)).

The fact that referring to mainly it being ‘5’ as well just kinda rules out Edutainment! It won’t be the R&HH ROTM! It just doesn’t fit at all unfortunately! Close, but doesn’t fit!

It’s clearly Boogie Down Productions 4th album though! Boogie Down Productions also had a remix, and an instrumental album for Criminal Minded. However you look at it, Edutainment is either their 4th or 6th album!

I felt like that rules it out. It’s not 4th or 5th; but is 4th or 6th! The clue said (1, 2, 5 (or 4 depending)).

The fact that referring to mainly it being ‘5’ as well just kinda rules out Edutainment! It won’t be the R&HH ROTM! It just doesn’t fit at all unfortunately! Close, but doesn’t fit!
If all they did was check wiki and discogs, they would get 4 and 5. They have done far less in terms of research for a clue in the past. I don't care either way, tbh.

I don't think I saw it mentioned here but what about Cormega - The Realness for July? 2001, solo artist, 1st album.

My only request would be if we can get The Saga (Remix) added as a bonus 🤣

Yeah J-Live would be a great shout… widely regarded as one of the most under appreciated hip-hop albums of all time… I suspect it might be a little too ‘underground’ for VMP though…

Back