Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

I know! It’s pretty expensive now! 😩

At least it means we’ll only grab a ROTM when we really like it! 🤷‍♂️
I used to add a track and get an extra R&HH for friends. My thinking was at 23 dollars it was only 20 euro may aswell gift my friends something cool. At 30 euro now I'm not sure im that generous. That 30 feeds my vinyl addiction elsewhere lol

The bridge deal in and of itself is a good deal for the year, taking the monthly price for U.S. members to ~$27/mo (after taxes w/ variation for different tax rates).

This only takes into account the price as a cold, hard number - it does not take into account things ancillary to that number. For example, whether or not you believe VMP will make it a year (I think those already ringing the death knell are a bit bloodthirsty; I personally think they will be around in a year; whether or not they SHOULD be is another thought); or how much one values voting with their wallet by not licensing VMP's action regardless of price to them personally. I'm not answering these questions, simply saying that there is more than just a number associated with VMP now - and they did that to themselves. I'm still a member - that's okay. Being an apologist - well that's just being an ostrich. But I also don't think being a member is a moral issue.

I think for those that do stay but think the add-on price is overpriced (it is), this will also be a good exercise in prudence and conscious purchasing. For example, my plan is to allow no add-ons. So, between the three tracks every month, I will only lock in one. It forces me to be more discerning and in turn for it to become a habituation that I can use in all of my vinyl purchases - regarding how much I really, really want something in my collection, the value added - outside of only VMP.
Yes, yes, yes! I agree so much with this! The price increase from VMP has also made me be more discerning and that I really think about all my vinyl purchases and how much I really want something in my collection! ⚖️💯

Also, I think VMP will be around for at least another year! I’m so glad they proved many people on here and Reddit wrong at the start of this year, who thought VMP weren’t going to survive and were going to close down by mid 2020/become bankrupt! So happy VMP seem to still be doing well! 🙌💪

Also, most people feel like their add-on sub prices are overpriced; it’ll be interesting to see if VMP are able to still do well selling their ROTM’s! It definitely means VMP have to do ROTM’s that make people want to sign up/are going to appeal to their target audience. They can’t do any ROTM’s like the Caroline Rose ROTM they did earlier this year! It won’t sell much at all, with those new VMP prices! VMP need to make sure they deliver excellent ROTM’s, particularly in the Essentials and Rap & Hip-Hop categories!

I used to add a track and get an extra R&HH for friends. My thinking was at 23 dollars it was only 20 euro may aswell gift my friends something cool. At 30 euro now I'm not sure im that generous. That 30 feeds my vinyl addiction elsewhere lol
That’s such a good idea to do an add-on track at USD$23 to get another record as a gift for your friend! I absolutely love that! If I had vinyl friends, I can imagine myself doing the exact same thing, as it’s such good value for money, especially living in Australia where vinyl in general is more expensive compared to the U.S. and UK! Glad you took advantage of the great price while is lasted! 😇🤓

Yeah, at USD$33, it literally becomes the same price as a lot of vinyl here in Australia! After tax, it still comes to AUD$50 which is still decent, as 2LP’s usually retail for around AUD$55-$65 on average here! But yeah, USD$23 for an add-on was such a steal for me! I’m so glad I always had three tracks going at once! I love all the 9 ROTM’s that just got announced (lol trust me out of everyone to be the person who loves all the upcoming ROTM’s from every track that just got announced 🤣) so I’ll still have all 3 tracks going for at least another 3 months, but I can imagine they’ll be a few months next year where I’ll have 2 tracks, and not 3 tracks! 75% of next year though, I think I’ll have 3 tracks going; that’s my prediction!

If the price increase thing happened at the start of this year, I would’ve skipped Rick Ross and maybe N*E*R*D! For the Essentials track, I would’ve skipped Caroline Rose and maybe John Mayer! With the sound quality being so great for the John Mayer pressing, I knew I would’ve eventually of grabbed it! 💨

I still would’ve got the Salt-N-Pepa ROTM for USD$33 + tax! It’s a great album and the pressing for Very Necessary is the best sounding one out of all the R&HH ROTM’s this year (along with Prince Paul and N*E*R*D)! ✨📀✨

Sound quality is a big thing for me if I’m a bit indecisive on whether or not I want the album! I love a very high quality sounding pressing! 😍👂

I am heavily leaning toward not doing the bridge deal now and just calling it quits...and it's mostly because of the swap price. I was gonna be out either way after the bridge deal with the price hikes but now it'll just be sooner. I'd probably do the 3 month bridge deal if swaps were still $23, but paying $30 for ROTM and then $33 for an add-on if I wanted it...I can just use that money to buy a nice pressing of whatever album I want instead of having to choose from VMPs archives or ROTM. I'd pick up Dreams for a $23 swap but paying $33 for it is a much harder choice. On a bridge deal, swaps are more than the ROTM now which seems crazy to me.
Its funny, I think overall the new prices are absurd and I passed on tons of things for $23 in the past. It was very rare that I ever got 2 albums from them a month. And yet, this is the first month I'm considering getting 3 titles. Currently have Szabo and Stankonia and swapped Redman for JLH. I probably would have kept Redman at $23 but don't think I will spin it enough for $33 even though I think it is a good album.

I need to do some more listening to the Szabo before I decide as I wasn't previously familiar. Hardest because I wasn't planning on spending this much.

I think what the new prices have done is only make me consider it worth using add ons for the AAA better pressing plant titles and makes it easier to pass on GZ DMM like Redman. The only alternatives for Szabo are only $2 cheaper and likely not AAA and JLH is a no brainer. If they extend me the bridge offer, I won't need to decide until next month, so we'll see where I'm at then.

Its funny, I think overall the new prices are absurd and I passed on tons of things for $23 in the past. It was very rare that I ever got 2 albums from them a month. And yet, this is the first month I'm considering getting 3 titles. Currently have Szabo and Stankonia and swapped Redman for JLH. I probably would have kept Redman at $23 but don't think I will spin it enough for $33 even though I think it is a good album.

I need to do some more listening to the Szabo before I decide as I wasn't previously familiar. Hardest because I wasn't planning on spending this much.

I think what the new prices have done is only make me consider it worth using add ons for the AAA better pressing plant titles and makes it easier to pass on GZ DMM like Redman. The only alternatives for Szabo are only $2 cheaper and likely not AAA and JLH is a no brainer. If they extend me the bridge offer, I won't need to decide until next month, so we'll see where I'm at then.
Interesting! I often found myself getting 2-3 albums per month for my monthly sub when the records were announced, whether it was 2 ROTMs or adding on to get a swap. I often swapped even if I wasn't 100% sure on whether I wanted an album or not. I knew that for $23, most of the time, I could get my money back if I wanted to sell it later on. I grabbed albums for friends as well sometimes. That changed a lot in the last 6 months (even before price hikes) because there were less and less things I wanted in swaps. And now with the price hikes, that option has altogether been eliminated for me. There's nothing I would take a punt on for $33 + tax. Even if there were multiple albums per month I wanted, it would be hard to sway me on dropping another $33 on a GZ pressing, especially when a lot of these do not have new remasters or anything and are essentially just new plates from old masters.

Interesting! I often found myself getting 2-3 albums per month for my monthly sub when the records were announced, whether it was 2 ROTMs or adding on to get a swap. I often swapped even if I wasn't 100% sure on whether I wanted an album or not. I knew that for $23, most of the time, I could get my money back if I wanted to sell it later on. I grabbed albums for friends as well sometimes. That changed a lot in the last 6 months (even before price hikes) because there were less and less things I wanted in swaps. And now with the price hikes, that option has altogether been eliminated for me. There's nothing I would take a punt on for $33 + tax. Even if there were multiple albums per month I wanted, it would be hard to sway me on dropping another $33 on a GZ pressing, especially when a lot of these do not have new remasters or anything and are essentially just new plates from old masters.
A combination of their curation never being a good fit for me and not having much in the way of extra spending money is why I never took chances or got multiples often. I was generally never interested in their DMM stuff unless it was a true exclusive like Noname and Saba, which is why I didn't join until Saba.

A combination of their curation never being a good fit for me and not having much in the way of extra spending money is why I never took chances or got multiples often. I was generally never interested in their DMM stuff unless it was a true exclusive like Noname and Saba, which is why I didn't join until Saba.
Classics in particular were the ones that I tended to take a gamble on. An AAA soul or jazz record was worth $23 for me even if I hadn't heard the whole thing before. It no longer is at $33 which is AP or MoFi 33rpm prices. I agree that the DMM hip hop stuff has mostly not been worth it for me outside of the true exclusives.

I own 2 copies of Stankonia but being such an Outkast stan ill take a third it looks beautiful 😍 Redman is really what I am so hyped for I've wanted this vinyl for forever and it looks amazing 🙏
Yeah, Muddy Waters has been a long sought after record for me too. I honestly didn't know that up until now the vinyl that had been available was missing the skits. It's great to know that this version has them, as I would have been quite upset to have bought a previous version and find out that it was missing such an important part of the album.

If Muddy Waters does indeed have the skits, then that would mean a new master of what is most likely the CD version pressed to vinyl, which means we won't be getting the extended version of Iz He 4 Real that was on the original edition. Might wanna keep your original copy @scotthilk

I can't believe I've never heard this extended version, but after hearing it I am not a fan of the extended version and I much prefer the original. I loved how hype, sweet and short that song was coming off of the Jurassic Park T-Rex intro and then rolling right into the much funkier Rock Da Spot.

Yeah, Muddy Waters has been a long sought after record for me too. I honestly didn't know that up until now the vinyl that had been available was missing the skits. It's great to know that this version has them, as I would have been quite upset to have bought a previous version and find out that it was missing such an important part of the album.
The skits on a Redman album are part of the experience for me. It can probably be agreed with anyone who says there are too many especially on something like Malpractice for sure but yeah thrilled this release will have them 👌🏼

Hope this means reissues for their other work are coming too

its weird we didn't get a "why we picked this" article for ANY of the 3 subscriptions
"The covers were great. We dreamed about the albums. We listened to the albums in high school. They deserve to be heard. They need to be heard. They're the very definition of the Essential/Classics/RHH tracks.They're a no-brainer."

That help?

so Dreams and People Under The Stairs are both getting other non-VMP releases now it seems? Are there any differences aside from color? I'm guessing Dreams is a bigger difference because both are black vinyl and non-VMP Dreams may not be AAA.

so Dreams and People Under The Stairs are both getting other non-VMP releases now it seems? Are there any differences aside from color? I'm guessing Dreams is a bigger difference because both are black vinyl and non-VMP Dreams may not be AAA.
I could be wrong but I don't think there are many classics picks that had identical re issues using the same master and pressing plants. I can't think of any at all. At least not since they went QRP AAA.

I could be wrong but I don't think there are many classics picks that had identical re issues using the same master and pressing plants. I can't think of any at all. At least not since they went QRP AAA.
But I also haven't seen them reissue an album that was just reissued by another label. The recent Dreams reissue came out a few months ago I think. Wonder if the difference is just that it was pressed at QRP? If not, seems weird that they took an album that was just reissued, remastered it and pressed it again. And OST getting a reissue at Fat Beats too seems weird.

But I also haven't seen them reissue an album that was just reissued by another label. The recent Dreams reissue came out a few months ago I think. Wonder if the difference is just that it was pressed at QRP? If not, seems weird that they took an album that was just reissued, remastered it and pressed it again. And OST getting a reissue at Fat Beats too seems weird.
Yeah Dreams was some obscure European label so that one doesn't surprise me that much, I'm sure it's a different master and pressing plant. But I'm willing to bet that Fat Beats reissue is the exact same master.

EDIT- In fact I just looked and the Dreams pressing that just happened was re-mastered by Martin Bowes so it's definitely not the same plates or master than the VMP

Back