Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

i wore out that first album on cassette. Its soooo good to me.
Its so good to me too personally. I am sitting here having a few drinks with my better half and she appreciates it too. We had Fantastic Voyage on and skinmed through his first 3 albums. Great music. Still holds up. Ppl just take him as a parody now sadly

Liquid swords doesn’t bring emotion, it brings wisdom. If you can’t feel much from it, try to to think it.
(Also the beats come from the same person)
eh im more a person who does emotional listen than wisdom based one... i go by how i feel and my mood and how something hits me.. if it bops, it bops and i feel it, if its sad, i feel sad and feel it, i need some kind of emotional center to feel through

eh im more a person who does emotional listen than wisdom based one... i go by how i feel and my mood and how something hits me.. if it bops, it bops and i feel it, if its sad, i feel sad and feel it, i need some kind of emotional center to feel through
How do you feel about Wu Debut Album? Who stood out on it for you? What did you like love dislike or hate?

How do you feel about Wu Debut Album? Who stood out on it for you? What did you like love dislike or hate?
it was fun but kinda long... i mostly just liked the beats and the how fun the choruses and the skits and stuff are, i dont really pay attention to lyrics half of the time and treat them more like they are a vocal gymnastic.. partially because the vinyl sounds way too quiet (i couldn't think of a bunch of funny punchlines and stuff or something as detailed and personal as all i got is you from ironman)

Its so good to me too personally. I am sitting here having a few drinks with my better half and she appreciates it too. We had Fantastic Voyage on and skinmed through his first 3 albums. Great music. Still holds up. Ppl just take him as a parody now sadly

the verse on It Takes a Thief where he talks about jumping out the closet and bucking him in the face is so FIRE!

tbh liquid swords doesn't have a song as good as all i got is your from ghostface killer (a song that honestly is emotionally devastating and makes me feel things... i dont feel much on the beats of gza)
I love the Title Track and Shadow Boxin' more than about anything Wu related, 4th Chamber and I Gotcha Back is fire too. Really the whole thing is excellent but to each their own Ghostface aint no slouch either.

4th Chamber might be my favorite RZA verse. Love that one.
There was a conversation somewhere recently. I think it might have been on Kxng Crookeds twitter where it was "is RZA overlooked as a rapper because of his strength as a producer and place among his more lyrical peers" and my answer would be yes. RZA can be great lyrically but what I love about his rappin is his unique voice and flow. He almost sounds like he is struggling or has a speech impediment of some sort to me but it works. Uniqueness in ones voice and flow is everything in hiphop. Gotta stand out

I love the Title Track and Shadow Boxin' more than about anything Wu related, 4th Chamber and I Gotcha Back is fire too. Really the whole thing is excellent but to each their own Ghostface aint no slouch either.
completely understandable.. i am just more a vibe person than a wisdom person... lyrics can enhance an impacting album

Kind of going off what @duke86fan is saying, I find that while I tend to appreciate good lyricism when I hear it, a lot of my enjoyment factor from hip-hop is dependent on the production and the flows/voice of the rapper, or just the way they go over a beat. If a rapper has great lyrics, but their delivery isn't anything special and the beats are bland, odds are I'm not going to find a ton to gravitate to. I know me and dukey are both much younger than the rest of the forum so our preferences probably have to do from coming up in a much different era of hip-hop where you don't have to necessarily be an amazing lyricist as long as you bring something interesting to the table.

btw the production on liquid swords is pretty good... just kinda... just what i got on the first album with a bit less energy... its either that or the fact that gza isn't the best flowing member (he is no ODB or ghostface or raekwon) that is stopping me from calling it a classic or even listening to it all the way through

EDIT: actually TBH i think it actually is mostly the flow and the first 3 songs that caused issues.. listening to 4th chambers on its own is a banger that is much more appealing

Last edited:
I've got their first 2 albums signed by both of them. Met them a couple years ago. CL was such a nice dude. Pete was bit of a dick sadly and I've felt off about him since. Unfollowed him on social media too

jealous of the signed albums. Pete seems like a dick on social media the few times ive interacted or tried to interact which is unfortunate. Nothing like his brother Grap who always replied and commented. He even allowed me to send him his most recent release to sign it for me and ship it back. Grap has disappeared off social media. Any idea why?

jealous of the signed albums. Pete seems like a dick on social media the few times ive interacted or tried to interact which is unfortunate. Nothing like his brother Grap who always replied and commented. He even allowed me to send him his most recent release to sign it for me and ship it back. Grap has disappeared off social media. Any idea why?
Yeah Pete just is a complete dick tbh. It definitely showed in person and it shows on social media too. Tbh I've no idea why. Perhaps he needed a break. I know i go missing from social media from time to time its good for my head. Only place I never leave is here because its a positive community
Screenshot_20200816-125632_Instagram.jpg

Discogs. Was cheap too. I have My Soul and now this. Im gonna purchase Gangstas Paradise RSD in September. I love Coolios first 3 albums grew up with them. First gig I ever saw at 12 years old was Coolio 🔥
Mine was Ice Cube when I was about 14 , told my parents we were going downtown to the movies to see Forrest Gump.

Discogs. Was cheap too. I have My Soul and now this. Im gonna purchase Gangstas Paradise RSD in September. I love Coolios first 3 albums grew up with them. First gig I ever saw at 12 years old was Coolio 🔥
Hell yeah! Coolio was one of the first rap artist I got into, along with DJ Jazzy Jeff + The Fresh Prince and The Beastie Boys.

Back