Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

I don't really understand why it is arguably one of the most important. Isn't the message just sex shouldn't be taboo and you could get an STD? Not like it was the first hip hop song to do that. Certainly a good message though.

It was ground breaking at the time and amazing that a message like that was getting airplay at all. You gotta remember this was in the height of the AIDS epidemic which had a decidedly fear campaign approach to it up to that point.

Its hugely groundbreaking.

Last edited:
It waa ground breaking at the time and amazing that a message like that was getting airplay at all. You gotta remember this was in the height of the AIDS epidemic which had a decidedly fear campaign approach to it up to that point.

Its hugely groundbreaking.
That KMD one I linked was 4 years earlier and was on the hot 100. It is a little more naive perhaps, implying you would be ok if you went to the doctor, which obviously wasn't the case with AIDS, but I think that's understandable given the year. Still at least a good thing to advocate for people to go to the doctor. There were other warning songs in hip hop advocating safe sex or at least being careful but probably didn't chart, like BDP Jimmy, which at least charted for the album.

I'm not saying it wasn't great that they used their fame for that.

Last edited:
I've always found people prefer this over anything else Travis has done. I've got a bootleg of it. I personally prefer his 3 studio albums
i've actually never listened to DBR

i listened to rodeo and astroworld and thats about it.. im a basic travis scott fan but i do have it on download to check out... i know there is a song with the 1975 on there of all things

I started a September R&HH ROTM thread on reddit and check this out 😮
View attachment 59411

Oh shit haha damn. Well that would be dope if it ends up being Fishscale but I'm still not believing its even GFK until we get another clue. It would be someone affiliated with him. I'm also still hoping it's Apollo Kids. I wouldn't mind if it was Wu-Massacre as well.

Back