Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Atleast VMP will save money on brat.

1xLP most likely unless they do 45s which would be cool
I hope they do 1xLP and have “Da B Side” as a bonus exclusive vinyl track! That would make 10 tracks total and the length of most tracks on Funkdafied are 3:00 - 3:30 minutes! So it would be absolutely perfect!

I have a really strong feeling it will be Da Brat! It totally seems like something VMP would hop onto!

The title track “Funkdafied” is such a smooth jam. This is the closest album in sound to Warren G’s classic album “Regulate....G Funk Era”. So to get Da Brat’s Funkdafied would be everything!

I hope they do 1xLP and have “Da B Side” as a bonus exclusive vinyl track! That would make 10 tracks total and the length of most tracks on Funkdafied are 3:00 - 3:30 minutes! So it would be absolutely perfect!

I have a really strong feeling it will be Da Brat! It totally seems like something VMP would hop onto!

The title track “Funkdafied” is such a smooth jam. This is the closest album in sound to Warren G’s classic album “Regulate....G Funk Era”. So to get Da Brat’s Funkdafied would be everything!

Its basically the girls version of Doggystyle in a way lol

I got really into Eve's Sophomore album this year so I'm more than excited for this pick
Well Eve’s “Scorpion” is much better than her debut record! I’d actually be happy with that album! The hits were great, the warning/ghetto Dr Dre sounding tracks on that album was great and I love the “No No No” cover version on the album. I absolutely loved Gangsta Bitches on that album too. “Scorpion” was a great release!

Her debut though......it’s outdated and feels like it has little substance. It doesn’t sound fresh at all.

Funkdafied is such a good record, and IMO consistently overlooked by those obsessed with the same 10 Reddit approved 90s HH albums. I love the soul and emotion she brings to the tabel, and it has a real sense of brevity that is sorely missing from many of the 90s HH records people gush about. Just an all around good record. I've wanted an OG of this for a while, but if VMP does something cool I'd like to get their copy. Hopefully not another weak ass mirror board cover and DMM GZ cut though.

Despite my complaining I have to acknowledge collecting OG 90s hip-hop and R&B records is becoming as much of a rich man's hobby as OG Jazz pressings. This weekend I saw a clean copy of Aaliyah (the S/T) for $100 and was considering it because it was relatively low price, but you have to draw the line somewhere. If VMP put a little more effort into this track there would be no contest on what was the smarter deal IMO.

Last edited:
I think Da Brat is a dope MC and her flow / lyricism still sounds great. I just can't get past the production. Those saying it sounds like Regulate / Doggystyle aren't wrong, but the production sounds cheaper in nearly every way compared to those albums. This might be a swap for me, unfortunately because I just can't see myself spinning this often.

Funkdafied is great, wish it was longer than 30mins tho

Personally I will take 30 minutes of 🔥 over an hour and fifteen of rocky material. Unrelated, but I was just listening to Murda Muzik by Mobb Deep last night and wishing that they shaved that one down hardcore. I feel like that was a big problem with a lot of 90s and early 00s hip-hop, the sort of desire to throw everything on there. From what I know there was still a ton left over from those sessions so I get the desire to put a portion out there, but personally I'll take short and consistent.

Back