Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

It is a bit disappointing that this album got chosen because of how cheap it is, and also because I have a copy......but.......like I said, the original pressing doesn’t sound that good. The Music On Vinyl reissue for Things Fall Apart sounded amazing and I think it will be the same case for this reissue of How I Got Over as it’s being pressed on new plates, at GZ!

I’m actually so happy with the colour variant too. I think it looks stunning from the pictures. I don’t have a colour variant in my collection like that yet! I was actually blown away when I saw this colour variant!

I also really like the shiny, glossy jacket! I think it goes so well with the colour variant and album cover in general!

Overall, I’m actually very happy with the packaging of How I Got Over and am even more excited about the sound quality on this release! I love this album so much!

It'll be interesting to hear if the new plates make a difference; probably not a $10 difference to most, but possible
And for me, the colour variant is something special. I actually hope this doesn’t get sold out and stays in stock because I would hate to get a defected copy and then get told they have no replacements yet. This looks too special!

It'll be interesting to hear if the new plates make a difference; probably not a $10 difference to most, but possible
Oh, I didn't realize it wasn't just a repress like the last two. Have you heard the current one? I'd put my money on STERLING over DMM GZ personally but wouldn't be surprised if United screwed a lot of them up.

I think that last line in the article is pretty clear on where this track is staying. "Cut DMM at GZ, like the best sounding of our rap records." Big FU to the engineers who cut the few VMP RHH records that were actually cut by engineers.

Edit: were the last two not represses? I thought that's what everyone was saying. Looks like at least Tical was a GZ DMM too. Anyone compared either of the last two that has both?

It is a bit disappointing that this album got chosen because of how cheap it is, and also because I have a copy......but.......like I said, the original pressing doesn’t sound that good. The Music On Vinyl reissue for Things Fall Apart sounded amazing and I think it will be the same case for this reissue of How I Got Over as it’s being pressed on new plates, at GZ!

I’m actually so happy with the colour variant too. I think it looks stunning from the pictures. I don’t have a colour variant in my collection like that yet! I was actually blown away when I saw this colour variant!

I also really like the shiny, glossy jacket! I think it goes so well with the colour variant and album cover in general!

Overall, I’m actually very happy with the packaging of How I Got Over and am even more excited about the sound quality on this release! I love this album so much!
I'm doing a 180 all because of this post lol 👌🏼

I'm doing a 180 all because of this post lol 👌🏼
This pressing will look stunning on your instagram! Also, I genuinely have a feeling this pressing is going to sound amazing!

I’m actually so happy with the packaging (jacket + colour variant) and pressing details (Direct Metal Mastering at GZ).

I’m happy for people to skip this ROTM because I don’t want to have a warped copy and then not receive a replacement for it. But I think this ROTM will sell out because The Roots are just super popular and because this colour variant looks insane!

I think VMP curation is great, but the weak spot for me has always been new release ROTMs. It’s impossible to get around the fact they’re always going to be available cheaper elsewhere in a slightly different variant. To me, variants aren’t worth the premium price, but I always figured they did it anyway because the only option would be to not do new releases at all. However, the last two months of the RHH track has me rethinking that assumption.

That said, they’re killing it on Classics. That’s the poopy that made me a member to begin with.

Edit: were the last two not represses? I thought that's what everyone was saying. Looks like at least Tical was a GZ DMM too. Anyone compared either of the last two that has both?
Yeah, this would be great! Would love to hear people’s thoughts to see which pressing they preferred sound quality wise.

I think the VMP edition sounds great! But the original pressing might sound great too!

Yeah, this would be great! Would love to hear people’s thoughts to see which pressing they preferred sound quality wise.

I think the VMP edition sounds great! But the original pressing might sound great too!
I have DMM GZ records that I think sound fine, it just makes me mad that VMP is charging the same price for DMM GZ reissues of currently available cheap albums for RHH while they are pulling out all the stops for Classics and doing AAA from a very well regarded engineer and pressing at QRP, tip on jackets etc.

I have DMM GZ records that I think sound fine, it just makes me mad that VMP is charging the same price for DMM GZ reissues of currently available cheap albums for RHH while they are pulling out all the stops for Classics and doing AAA from a very well regarded engineer and pressing at QRP, tip on jackets etc.
mmmmm agreed. It’s two totally different levels in terms of sound quality! I think the GZ hip-hop ROTM pressings we’ve had recently sound amazing! But it doesn’t sound as good as the Classics ROTM’s!

I think the colour variant is really special though and would have costed more to do than all the other colour variants VMP use. I know it’s always sound quality first, but that colour variant looks 🔥🔥🔥

While HIGO is certainly not the greatest Roots project I think we’re neglecting the fact that The Roots are an EXCEPTIONAL hip hop group with an impressive discography and HIGO is still a fantastic hip hop record that is well produced and well illustrated. I think a lot of us are salty because it’s not the Roots best record but when you put it into the RHH line up it’s up there amongst the great RHH releases through VMP. We gotta take off the “screw vmp” glasses to remind ourselves that this is a treat musically. It feels like a lot of us are just searching for reasons to be upset with VMP. Like cmon y’all its The Roots and every song on this album with the exception of Web 20/20 SLAPS and is catchy af.

To be clear, I was responding to the question of whether this is a classic Roots album. My ranking of this album is completely independent of anything to do with VMP. I was strictly talking the music in relation to the rest of their output

mmmmm agreed. It’s two totally different levels in terms of sound quality! I think the GZ hip-hop ROTM pressings we’ve had recently sound amazing! But it doesn’t sound as good as the Classics ROTM’s!

I think the colour variant is really special though and would have costed more to do than all the other colour variants VMP use. I know it’s always sound quality first, but that colour variant looks 🔥🔥🔥
I'd be more ok with the corners they're cutting if the prices reflected it, but they don't. It's hard for me to get excited about a Roots album that if featured on a list would probably be something like "Most underrated mid tier album" to someone who was a huge fan of it.

I feel like they should have done Phrenology since that is the one that isn't available. I guess I just don't need a ROTM club where all they do is send already available albums to GZ to press on a cool color. I like colored records, but not for a markup of more than a couple bucks. If they are going to do that, the least they could do is pick a top tier Roots album.

Last edited:
Back