Vinyl Me Please Essentials

As for the exclusives

I'm hoping for yoshimi but also embryonic because for some reason that album gets no love when convinced of the hex is amazing and is what got me interested in the flaming lips
I'd like those or Transmissions or Clouds. Anything else is likely a pass.

If it is the Flaming Lips, I would like it if they went deep/old for the exclusives. Would love to see Priest Driven Ambulance or Future Deathhead get nice reissues. Plus I think they would make a lot of people scratch their heads listening to Lips Mk 1
Actually would be tempted with those too. Lol, Future Deathhead.

If it is the Flaming Lips, I would like it if they went deep/old for the exclusives. Would love to see Priest Driven Ambulance or Future Deathhead get nice reissues. Plus I think they would make a lot of people scratch their heads listening to Lips Mk 1
I would be totally cool with this. Instant buy. Hit to Death In The Future Head is super underrated. I much prefer early lips through Yoshimi to everything they put out after that.

VMP: Releases a non-mainstream, obvious classic for Essentials
People: "This is NOT essential. they should rename the track."

VMP: Releases an obvious classic, essential LP for Essentials
People: "This is a lazy pick gahhhh"

lol
I think the latter is the worse complaint. Granted there is a sweet spot between the two they rarely hit that nice & it's been a while

VMP: Releases a non-mainstream, obvious classic for Essentials
People: "This is NOT essential. they should rename the track."

VMP: Releases an obvious classic, essential LP for Essentials
People: "This is a lazy pick gahhhh"

lol
The name is terrible, but I would always prefer a better record. And sometimes for me, that might be the “lazy” record. I just hope that it’s cool when they do it. Queen is a great example of a pick people thought was too common, but I kept it as a second copy because it was such a good variant.

As evidenced by this very thread anyone who ardently collects vinyl likely has Soft Bulletin in the stack. Fuck, their own hi-fives séries saw the album touted. It’s a fine essentials pick But it takes nearly zero effort to come to that conclusion and probably even less to get it into production. The Lips are passionate about vinyl so I doubt there are any speed bumps. Furthermore, there is going to be zero controversy to have to defend the pick, aka boring.

I don’t think I’ve ever really faulted the essentials moniker. I think a better name would suit them. For the era and genre there are far more adventuresome and exciting picks (like say, Live Through This).

I stand by the lazy accusation.

As evidenced by this very thread anyone who ardently collects vinyl likely has Soft Bulletin in the stack. Fuck, their own hi-fives séries saw the album touted. It’s a fine essentials pick But it takes nearly zero effort to come to that conclusion and probably even less to get it into production. The Lips are passionate about vinyl so I doubt there are any speed bumps. Furthermore, there is going to be zero controversy to have to defend the pick, aka boring.

I don’t think I’ve ever really faulted the essentials moniker. I think a better name would suit them. For the era and genre there are far more adventuresome and exciting picks (like say, Live Through This).

I don't have it so I'm excited :confused:

As evidenced by this very thread anyone who ardently collects vinyl likely has Soft Bulletin in the stack.
Sorry but no. I don't have it in my collection and I bought my first Lips record in '87. I have it on CD and wouldn't mind having it on vinyl. The original press is notoriously noisy, though the 2009 edition is well pressed . The 2011 is a nice pressing but WB cheaped out on the package. If it is Soft Bulletin, it is one of those records that surprises me that VMP did not reissue it a couple of years ago. I am more curious about what the Lips exclusives would be.

(but that all said, if I had a choice between Live Through This and Soft Bulletin, I would choose Hole. Soft Bulletin is where I lost a lot of interest in them)

So what I am saying is you are half right. I don't have it but yes VMP is going for one of the most obvious choices they could make with a white guy alternative record ;)

Last edited:

Sorry but no. I don't have it in my collection and I bought my first Lips record in '87. I have it on CD and wouldn't mind having it on vinyl. The original press is notoriously noisy, though the 2009 edition is well pressed . The 2011 is a nice pressing but WB cheaped out on the package. If it is Soft Bulletin, it is one of those records that surprises me that VMP did not reissue it a couple of years ago. I am more curious about what the Lips exclusives would be.

(but that all said, if I had a choice between Live Through This and Soft Bulletin, I would choose Hole. Soft Bulletin is where I lost a lot of interest in them)

So what I am saying is you are half right. I don't have it but yes VMP is going for one of the most obvious choices they could make with a white guy alternative record ;)
But wouldn't the same "lazy" argument apply to live through this. A popular ( much more so than soft bulletin) with a widely available reissue.

Don't you fucking dare, VMP. I paid $40 for an OG of this a few months ago.
I don't think it will be this. I hope it is not Sonic Youth's Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star. I actually really like that album. The only problem is, is that if the Essentials ROTM ends up being that album, we will be getting Eve's Ruff Ryders' First Lady as the Rap & Hip-Hop (R&HH) ROTM. And I really don't want that Eve album to be the R&HH ROTM. I want it to be Da Brat's Funkdafied, which was an album released in 1994!

But yeah, i think you're all good Sanders. Pretty certain the Essentials ROTM will be from 1999! 🤗

I don't think it will be this. I hope it is not Sonic Youth's Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star. I actually really like that album. The only problem is, is that if the Essentials ROTM ends up being that album, we will be getting Eve's Ruff Ryders' First Lady as the Rap & Hip-Hop (R&HH) ROTM. And I really don't want that Eve album to be the R&HH ROTM. I want it to be Da Brat's Funkdafied, which was an album released in 1994!

But yeah, i think you're all good Sanders. Pretty certain the Essentials ROTM will be from 1999! 🤗

I really want to know what you think about Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. I feel like you might absolutely hate the weirdness and scariness of a lot of their music or you might enjoy the raw sexual energy of songs like “Do You Love Me?” or the exuberance of songs like “Get Ready for Love.”

Back