Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Yeah, my rule of thumb is that if there's something I REALLY want from swaps, start opening the membership page and refresh like crazy 10 minutes before swaps.

I logged in immediately, never saw it.
It was there, for a minute when I logged in about 12:58 PM. I didn’t grab it though.

I swapped HH and Country subs for Bright Eyes and Coltrane. Then I signed up for Classics and swapped for the exclusive Vertigo OST, its AAA Kevin Grey cut and pressed at RTI I imagine it’ll sound great.

Yeah, my rule of thumb is that if there's something I REALLY want from swaps, start opening the membership page and refresh like crazy 10 minutes before swaps.
Oh, and have the name of what you want prefilled in your browser's "Find" window so when you get to the page, hit find, enter and then add.

It was there, for a minute when I logged in about 12:58 PM. I didn’t grab it though.

I swapped HH and Country subs for Bright Eyes and Coltrane. Then I signed up for Classics and swapped for the exclusive Vertigo OST, its AAA Kevin Grey cut and pressed at RTI I imagine it’ll sound great.
noted. No worries though, I'm happy with Shotgun Willie and Joshua Judges Ruth. Thought about the Coltrane record until I sampled, and while I like Coltrane, I didn't particularly care for what I heard

So is this Jailbreak AAA or not? Guessing not but they got Kevin to cut it to soften the blow? Crazy how they’re so coy with all these details still after all the years of us bugging them.
they usually mention AAA if it is. but i'm more than fine with a digital cut by KG for this one. i have plenty of KG cuts that smoke. i'm sure more details will be up once the album page is fully up.

they usually mention AAA if it is. but i'm more than fine with a digital cut by KG for this one. i have plenty of KG cuts that smoke. i'm sure more details will be up once the album page is fully up.

I think it’s just the price factor for me. Sure Kevin’s cut some great records from files, no doubt about it, but for damn near $50 after taxes it gives me pause on a pretty common record. For that cost, you could easily get a NM Vertigo OG (likely quieter than a GZ frisbee) and still have money left over for another TL album. Sundazed regularly charges $25-30 for similar packages with digitally sourced ( and sometimes even AAA) KG cuts and colored wax. Don’t want to be Mr. Negative but as prices rise on everything I’ve found myself more critical about the value of these things.

I think it’s just the price factor for me. Sure Kevin’s cut some great records from files, no doubt about it, but for damn near $50 after taxes it gives me pause on a pretty common record. For that cost, you could easily get a NM Vertigo OG (likely quieter than a GZ frisbee) and still have money left over for another TL album. Sundazed regularly charges $25-30 for similar packages with digitally sourced ( and sometimes even AAA) KG cuts and colored wax. Don’t want to be Mr. Negative but as prices rise on everything I’ve found myself more critical about the value of these things.
My thinking exactly. A year ago I probably would have jumped back in for Lizzy and Interpol. Now I am on the fence. If it was AAA then I would grab Jailbreak for sure.

I guess I’d disagree it’s not all that common of a record (for the best pressings of it at least). I almost never see clean copies in stores near me. Last time I did, it was close to $50 for a NM. Cheapest OG vertigo shipped to the US is a VG+ for around $45 on discogs from what I can see. The GK masterdisk cut is around $35+ for VG+. I agree that VMP membership is a tough pill to swallow especially if you only want one album. I’m mostly signing up because I have a $10 credit so it makes the price more palatable. It does suck that it’s looking like it will be at GZ but I have had better luck with them lately. So maybe ponying up for an OG is a smarter move financially…

I’m a huge fan of this album so I can obviously talk myself into it more. There are many other labels out there I would rather be in charge of this reissue (Intervention, Sundazed, AP, Speakers Corner, etc) and all would have been cheaper or similar price and pressed at better plants. But here we are!

If they don't claim it's AAA in the little blurb then it's never AAA. You can ask CS but you can bet they're gonna say it was cut from a file.

I saw this one coming though. They weren't gonna be able to cut from Thin Lizzy tapes at Sterling Sound or Cohearent Audio unless there was a good US tape available. They never cut AAA at AIR studios for VMP in the UK, so a transfer was the only feasible option. It's a shame, but Kevin Gray has cut ADA reissues that sound incredible (Deep purple, Aretha's YG&B, Donald Byrd Fancy Free, Bad Company s/t.– which actually may be AAA I'm not sure)

I guess I’d disagree it’s not all that common of a record (for the best pressings of it at least). I almost never see clean copies in stores near me. Last time I did, it was close to $50 for a NM. Cheapest OG vertigo shipped to the US is a VG+ for around $45 on discogs from what I can see. The GK masterdisk cut is around $35+ for VG+. I agree that VMP membership is a tough pill to swallow especially if you only want one album. I’m mostly signing up because I have a $10 credit so it makes the price more palatable. It does suck that it’s looking like it will be at GZ but I have had better luck with them lately. So maybe ponying up for an OG is a smarter move financially…

I’m a huge fan of this album so I can obviously talk myself into it more. There are many other labels out there I would rather be in charge of this reissue (Intervention, Sundazed, AP, Speakers Corner, etc) and all would have been cheaper or similar price and pressed at better plants. But here we are!

That’s true, it’s not an easy album to find in the wild, but it’s not a case like the Jorge Ben album they had cut digitally by Kevin a few years ago that was much more scare. Honestly I hopped back on for 3 months as the entire roster across tracks was interesting enough but I’ll likely pass on this one just because I have a nice Japanese pressing. If you don’t have a copy at all this would likely be a very good option! I’m really just whining it’s not the definitive release I had hoped for that would justify a double dip for any of us who own older pressings.

If they don't claim it's AAA in the little blurb then it's never AAA. You can ask CS but you can bet they're gonna say it was cut from a file.
don't think anybody is doubting ya! i'm okay with it being digital if KG is in charge. like you said, he's done plenty of great reissues from digital sources. those van morrison cuts are also excellent to add to your list!

That’s true, it’s not an easy album to find in the wild, but it’s not a case like the Jorge Ben album they had cut digitally by Kevin a few years ago that was much more scare. Honestly I hopped back on for 3 months as the entire roster across tracks was interesting enough but I’ll likely pass on this one just because I have a nice Japanese pressing. If you don’t have a copy at all this would likely be a very good option! I’m really just whining it’s not the definitive release I had hoped for that would justify a double dip for any of us who own older pressings.
i finally pulled the trigger on a GK Mastersound last year but it was a classic case of ebay overgrading. it does sound great, when there's not surface noise in a few spots! cover is pretty beat up too but i knew that going into it. so i'll be happy to upgrade! i'm just glad more people will find out about this album.

Back