Vinyl Me Please Essentials

also i still wouldn't call bright eyes really a country artist even with my personal prejudice.. he vague term "alt country" maybe (though that just means indie rock artists who has a slightly more southern sound to them) but i wouldn't really recommend him as like "hey you like chris stapleton and eric church, you'd probably love this guy".. I've even heard pitchfork once call him emo and that's also kinda a "well yes but actually no"

also i still wouldn't call bright eyes really a country artist even with my personal prejudice.. he vague term "alt country" maybe (though that just means indie rock artists who has a slightly more southern sound to them) but i wouldn't really recommend him as like "hey you like chris stapleton and eric church, you'd probably love this guy".. I've even heard pitchfork once call him emo and that's also kinda a "well yes but actually no"

Wha? Bright Eyes country? Really? 🤔

First off, you’re a bit off base with your Alt. Country summation. Alt. Country is similar to Alternate Rock, they are both a bit subversive and left of the mainstream. Old 97’s, Robbie Fulks, Drive-By Truckers, Whiskeytown, Uncle Topelo, pretty much anything put out by Blood Shot Records are more akin to Indie Rock in spirit but they much closer to Country than Rock in sound, there are plenty of Southern sounding Indie Rock acts and are don’t necessarily make Country sounding music.

Secondly I think you are pigeonholing Bright Eyes a bit. While I agree the project overall would like be classified as Indie Rock his albums have flirted with different styles. Lifted… would probably fall under and Indie Rock style wise but Wide Awake was much more influenced by Country and Folk (particularly Dylan) and the album he dropped on the same day, Digital Ashes In a Digital Urn was more electronic influenced.

First off, you’re a bit off base with your Alt. Country summation. Alt. Country is similar to Alternate Rock, they are both a bit subversive and left of the mainstream. Old 97’s, Robbie Fulks, Drive-By Truckers, Whiskeytown, Uncle Topelo, pretty much anything put out by Blood Shot Records are more akin to Indie Rock in spirit but they much closer to Country than Rock in sound, there are plenty of Southern sounding Indie Rock acts and are don’t necessarily make Country sounding music.

Secondly I think you are pigeonholing Bright Eyes a bit. While I agree the project overall would like be classified as Indie Rock his albums have flirted with different styles. Lifted… would probably fall under and Indie Rock style wise but Wide Awake was much more influenced by Country and Folk (particularly Dylan) and the album he dropped on the same day, Digital Ashes In a Digital Urn was more electronic influenced.
yeah that hit the nail on the head.. i don't have much history with bright eyes beyond this album, fevers and mirrors, and recently listening to letting off the happiness (that last one has the best singular song but i think wide awake is the best)

i haven't listened to a lot of alt country beyond one old 97s song and a bit of wilco.. this is not my area of expertise and its clear i didn't really explain it, i just dunno if i'd call it a country album like the one user was claiming it to be (saying it belonged in the country subscription even though by that logic we shouldn't have anymore rap ROTMs and that's a tragedy)

Besides the box set, I have this copy.
It’s definitely not an early pressing so I’m guessing it’s the later(2011-) with a slight chance of it being a middle. I don’t remember what the sticker looked like but who cares because…..🚨🚨🚨

? Bright Eyes isn't country. He's indie rock and folk. This album leans more indie folk than rock.
Ultimately you are correct. An apt comparison would be Bob Dylan’s Nashville Skyline. Neither album is a Country album per se; however both are heavily indebted/influenced by Country music. Both albums feature Country instrumentation and duets with Country Music stalwarts.

Got right channel GZ crackle on Justice. No big surprise. Sounds good otherwise. Music mostly drowns it out, as usual seems to be worst at the beginning of the sides.

EDIT: AAAAND end of sides.

Last edited:

Thin Lizzy not AAA, but mastered by Kevin Gray, so it will still sound awesome at least

Interpol on 2LP is interesting, not enough for me to get it - but still should be a nice upgrade over the OG if one was waiting to pull the trigger on the (much cheaper) standard black.

I need to relisten to bright eyes to see if I want it enough to pay, because the other 2 are other "I respect but don't really want" choices but can easily be swapped for the game and gravediggaz which are easy buys, bright eyes is the only one where there is no easy swap when doubting my renewal

Back