Vinyl Me Please Essentials

It's just so lame to me to plate something at QRP and not fucking press it there.
Not enough shades of brown to choose from there.
QRP doesn't really do a lot of colored vinyl and when they do its just a single color so yeah thats basically the reason.. they basically say "we want QRP style plate and if we could have their pressing quality but we also want to have pretty colors that split and splatter"

QRP doesn't really do a lot of colored vinyl and when they do its just a single color so yeah thats basically the reason.. they basically say "we want QRP style plate and if we could have their pressing quality but we also want to have pretty colors that split and splatter"
Ah wasn't aware of that, makes sense. I wish more people didn't care about colored vinyl.

I have a really strong feeling that we will either get Marvin Gaye’s I Want You sometime this year either as a Classics ROTM or Essentials ROTM! I love that album so much and after VMP recently doing a Norman Feels and Leon Ware exclusive, I can just taste a Marvin Gaye “I Want You” ROTM around the corner! 😋

Because the VMP Classics’ ROTM’s for February and March were both Soul, the Marvin Gaye “I Want You” ROTM would come late in 2021 (if it was a Classics ROTM instead of an Essentials ROTM)!

The sad thing about Nevermind is it could have been such a heavy album. Living in Vancouver at the time, I saw Nirvana several times before and after Nevermind. I remember hearing the demos and being floored by the songs. Everyone I knew was really excited about the record but when it came out being quite let down. Sadly, they wanted the backing of a big label and then had to pay the price by having it glossed up beyond what they wanted

I don't know, I think that's a compromise they found acceptable at the time and grew to regret. Butch Vig definitely had a heavy hand in the drum sound, which is at least half of what makes Nevermind sound like it does (the background vocals are the other half -- which Vig famously got Cobain to go along with by telling him the Beatles did it). They had a similar problem but in the other direction with Albini's In Utero production being too rough and so they had some of it redone or remixed. Albini is remarkably sanguine and pragmatic about it -- "it's the album they wanted to make and I'm not unhappy about that" I'm paraphrasing because I can't remember the actual thing he said.

I'd just like to formally state that I will gladly take a skippy Prine off of someone's hands, at long as it's not a crackly Prine.

I'd just like to formally state that I will gladly take a skippy Prine off of someone's hands, at long as it's not a crackly Prine.
Mine actually is both. I posted the skip before I finished listening to side 2 and they side has several songs that are pretty crackly with several skips on it as well.

Mine actually is both. I posted the skip before I finished listening to side 2 and they side has several songs that are pretty crackly with several skips on it as well.
I have a small warp on side 1 but it's less perceptible on side 2. I didn't even think that was possible. I listened to it last night and fell asleep so I'm not sure if there's skipping or crackle :/ ... I'll have to listen again tonight.

I have a small warp on side 1 but it's less perceptible on side 2. I didn't even think that was possible. I listened to it last night and fell asleep so I'm not sure if there's skipping or crackle :/ ... I'll have to listen again tonight.
Fell asleep? Did the.... did the record just spin till you woke up in the morning?

-nervous sweating-

So, VMP just replied saying they need a video (I feel like I shouldn't need to go through another iteration of this, but whatever). They also said the following

"With this cut being mastered quite hot, the grooves are quite close together which may be why the stylus is having issues tracking the record creating those skips".

Does this sound reasonable? I'm using an AT-LP120, with an Ortfonn Red cartridge/stylus

So, VMP just replied saying they need a video (I feel like I shouldn't need to go through another iteration of this, but whatever). They also said the following

"With this cut being mastered quite hot, the grooves are quite close together which may be why the stylus is having issues tracking the record creating those skips".

Does this sound reasonable? I'm using an AT-LP120, with an Ortfonn Red cartridge/stylus
Skipping is weird, like, I've had every issue under the sun from VMP and pretty much any other label but I've never had a single skip on my system. Including albums that specifically are known to skip. So I do think there is something to be said for the idea that setup and gear affects skipping issues. But it's not like you're using a suitcase Crosley or something... so that's strange. Are your speakers on the same surface as your TT? Do both copies skip in the same spots? But either way didn't you say it's crackly too? Just send them audio of the crackle. That should be enough to get a replacement...

Back