Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Is this where we start the debate on whether Johnny Cash was a "Country" artist or an artist whose music was genre-spanning and embraced sounds from country, rock and roll, rockablilly, blues, fold and gospel?

Unfortunately, i think this is where Needles and Grooves starts the debate on whether we need another VMP thread.

In one, two....

Unfortunately, i think this is where Needles and Grooves starts the debate on whether we need another VMP thread.

In one, two....

I was just about to post that I guess the Country Thread is the more appropriate place to debate Cash's genre status.

I like where you went with it better.

Have they said if this will be a swappable track? Or whether it's some sort of totally separate subscription?

Last edited:
Is this where we start the debate on whether Johnny Cash was a "Country" artist or an artist whose music was genre-spanning and embraced sounds from country, rock and roll, rockablilly, blues, fold and gospel?

I mean, that’s what Country music originally was. A genre that was influenced and evolved from the different American and Roots music genres.

This is the old tired question from the folks who hate Country but like Cash (not that Im saying thats you), and it seems to be just looking for an excuse for them to continue to write off the whole genre of Country.

Cash is definitely a country artist and if you like Cash there is likely alot more Country music out there you’d like if you gave it a chance. Including artists of that era who also pull from and embrace those other “genres and sounds”.

I mean, that’s what Country music originally was. A genre that was influenced and evolved from the different American and Roots music genres.

This is the old tired question from the folks who hate Country but like Cash (not that Im saying thats you), and it seems to be just looking for an excuse for them to continue to write off the whole genre of Country.

Cash is definitely a country artist and if you like Cash there is likely alot more Country music out there you’d like if you gave it a chance. Including artists of that era who also pull from and embrace those other “genres and sounds”.
Agreed. The Cash only people amaze me, particularly those who like rock music. Like, have you not tried Willie, Waylon, Merle, and a whole host of the other Outlaw Country musicians? It comes from such a narrow minded place.

And yes, Cash is as country as it gets.

I like Country music, From Patsy Cline to Tennessee Ernie Ford to Willie Nelson to Travis Tritt to The Chicks To Sturgill Simpson.
What’s wrong with Country Music?

I always think of Cash as more Gospel-adjacent Rock and Roll than I do a “Country” artist.

Clearly I’ve touched a nerve without meaning to.
Sorry bout that.

I like Country music, From Patsy Cline to Tennessee Ernie Ford to Willie Nelson to Travis Tritt to The Chicks To Sturgill Simpson.
What’s wrong with Country Music?

I always think of Cash as more Gospel-adjacent Rock and Roll than I do a “Country” artist.

Clearly I’ve touched a nerve without meaning to.
Sorry bout that.

I already said in my original post
This is the old tired question from the folks who hate Country but like Cash (not that Im saying thats you).

April is Essentials issue 100.

I expect to see something particularly great for that. Was #50 treated as "special"?
I expect something along the lines of: Jet, Get Born, in a 2x LP, pressing on Brown Smoke Vinyl with a Tip-on Gatefold Jacket and new artwork inspired by the lyrics to "Are You Going To Be My Girl."

I can't comment on mastering quality nor can I compare it to the recent well regarded pressing (because I don't have that one), but the John Prine record is wayyyy prettier than the mockups suggest. Its a marbled orange color, kinda reminds me of a creamsicle. So at the very least I find it pleasant to look at. Looking forward to listening to it tonight.

Anyone who happens to have both the recent Rhino and VMP version of John Prine album care to comment on the differences? I already have the Rhino version, which I like, but am admittedly curious about this pressing. Thanks!

Last edited:
At best the vmp version will be the same plates but a different color.
It is AAA but cut by Ryan Smith at Sterling instead of Kevin Grey.

To follow up on my previous post, I got to listen to it just now and it sounds great. I don't know how it compares to the RSD pressing but I don't believe anyone will be unhappy with this. The package outside the vinyl is also top notch.

Back