Vinyl Me Please Essentials

New hints, so no Bill Withers in that first Essentials slot. First hint was 50, 18, 12 for Essentials, 47, 48, 45 for Classics, and 9, 16, 20 for RHH. Rooms on Fire by the Strokes could still work for the 2nd Essentials. Kid Cudi for the last Essential?

3 months of soul (4 including Donny) in Classics? Let’s fucking GO!

is What’s Going On still in the running?

So Essentials is John Prine - John Prine and Strokes - Room on Fire for Jan./Feb.

For March, my best guess is either Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon or Drake's So Far Gone (would be stretching the definition of a debut, but it works and a 1st time vinyl release would easily move Essential numbers)

New hints, so no Bill Withers in that first Essentials slot. First hint was 50, 18, 12 for Essentials, 47, 48, 45 for Classics, and 9, 16, 20 for RHH. Rooms on Fire by the Strokes could still work for the 2nd Essentials. Kid Cudi for the last Essential?

I fucking love John Prine and this album. And am not one of the folks who complain about issuing something that is easily accessible, especially when VMP usually does a better quality mastering/packaging job. But having this 4 months after a great resissue from Rhino is odd timing.

BUT there is no arguing it is essential. And every collection this album goes in to is better off for it IMO. This will be the 3rd essentials album in a 4 month span that I already have but I can't say no to a good quality package of this album.

I fucking love John Prine and this album. And am not one of the folks who complain about issuing something that is easily accessible, especially when VMP usually does a better quality mastering/packaging job. But having this 4 months after a great resissue from Rhino is odd timing.

BUT there is no arguing it is essential. And every collection this album goes in to is better off for it IMO. This will be the 3rd essentials album in a 4 month span that I already have but I can't say no to a good quality package of this album.
Itll be the first album of his I've owned. I'd not complain at all about this pick

If I can’t find the recent Rhino reissue in stores between now and then, I’ll probably get VMP’s version. I knew I should have grabbed it when I had the chance a few weeks ago. It is, as you say, odd timing though.

I’d definitely be interested in snagging John Prine and The Strokes on Discogs.
Itll be the first album of his I've owned. I'd not complain at all about this pick
You could've saved 10-20 bucks though by just grabbing the Kevin Gray standard black rhino. It was in stock at barnes and noble earlier this week. It's awaiting repress now but it'll be back on amazon and everywhere for $20 soon. total waste of a pick, though the color vinyl and shiny jacket I'm sure will be nice.

I bet that they dont even use a new cut for the master, they will probably just use the Kevin Gray cut and put it on colored vinyl

You could've saved 10-20 bucks though by just grabbing the Kevin Gray standard black rhino. It was in stock at barnes and noble earlier this week. It's awaiting repress now but it'll be back on amazon and everywhere for $20 soon. total waste of a pick, though the color vinyl and shiny jacket I'm sure will be nice.

I bet that they dont even use a new cut for the master, they will probably just use the Kevin Gray cut and put it on colored vinyl
Maybe. But the £400 in flights from the UK and a night's worth of accommodation so I could get to a Barnes and Noble may have buggered the cost benefit ratio a bit.

I'll put it in the missed opportunities box anyway.

I agree but that's honestly the problem with the "Essentials" track. Alot of Essential albums (I know, subjective) are already pressed and good quality. If you want to pick albums that truly fit that label, unfortunately there is going to be alot of crossover with what's out there. Often with comparable or better pricing.

I try to judge only the Essential track by quality of the title, not scarcity. While this is a Vinyl forum with people who are good/passionate at Music discovery, Hunting, and building their own collections, the majority of Essentials describers probably sign up for the curation and get albums they wouldnt have thought to get on their own. And for that, this is an awesome pick. Get an Essential Country album in the collections of folks who wouldnt normally give it a listen.

I agree but that's honestly the problem with the "Essentials" track. Alot of Essential albums (I know, subjective) are already pressed and good quality. If you want to pick albums that truly fit that label, unfortunately there is going to be alot of crossover with what's out there. Often with comparable or better pricing.

I try to judge only the Essential track by quality of the title, not scarcity. While this is a Vinyl forum with people who are good/passionate at Music discovery, Hunting, and building their own collections, the majority of Essentials describers probably sign up for the curation and get albums they wouldnt have thought to get on their own. And for that, this is an awesome pick. Get an Essential Country album in the collections of folks who wouldnt normally give it a listen.

They should've just put a colored variant in the store as an Exclusive, not as a ROTM. I have no problem with them doing reissues with new mastering, but there is no way this version is gonna sound better than the Kevin Gray one just released (and might be the same cut, just pressed on a different color). You can get Mama's Gun and Stankonia easily before they were made ROTMs, but the mastering on the VMPs versions were clear upgrades and the colored variants and packaging were great.

True they do this all the time though, I'm not saying they dont (see Queens of the Stone Age last fall or Stevie Nicks this past spring) but that doesn't make it any less disappointing.

They should've just put a colored variant in the store as an Exclusive, not as a ROTM. I have no problem with them doing reissues with new mastering, but there is no way this version is gonna sound better than the Kevin Gray one just released (and might be the same cut, just pressed on a different color). You can get Mama's Gun and Stankonia easily before they were made ROTMs, but the mastering on the VMPs versions were clear upgrades and the colored variants and packaging were great.

True they do this all the time though, I'm not saying they dont (see Queens of the Stone Age last fall or Stevie Nicks this past spring) but that doesn't make it any less disappointing.

I hear ya, but thats why I said this track is more for the curation rather than the title itself. It being in the store as an exclusive requires a conscious extra purchase. I'd imagine (and they've stated) that a good majority of Essentials subscribers, sign up and then just have their records arrive monthly. They don't buy exclusives too much or swap. That is who this record is for and I think it's a great pick for this purpose.

Someone who likes Prine already and is more active in their buying and curation probably bought this already or should just buy the Rhino one, and Swap this title.

VMP has done a ton of albums that have standard black releases as colored variants and just put them in the store instead of as ROTM. Usually their ROTMs are ones they do a new mastering of when the album comes out. Even BVSC and QOTSA had a new mastering even though there was a wide black vinyl release of the same mastering after the fact. This would be the first time they took an existing/already released mastering since their earlier days 2 years or more ago. (unless they get RKS to remaster this album needlessly when Kevin Gray just did it perfectly).

NRPS on the other hand, no vinyl release since 1979. Great album that pairs well with their recent GD anthology, excellent music, in need of rediscovery

Back