Vinyl Me Please Essentials

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
tenor.gif

Mark this up with Lloyd Miller being "free jazz" as storf being on a different wavelength with subgenres

Wikipedia calls Jim Sullivan folk, rock, and country. And those make more sense. His voice reminds me of country and his instrumentation is almost completely folk except for some baroque elements (and even then that's only on like two song)

Last edited:
This is definitely not psyche

This is just standard folk
This is why I’m not feeling the music at all. I don’t like the music on this album at all.

This is easily my least favourite ROTM of the year so far. It’s way too country/folk/rock andI don’t find the music to be cute, sexy or naughty........🙅‍♂️

Instant swap for me! Hopefully Freddie Gibbs Piñata, Madlib’s Flight To Brazil, John Lee Hooker’s Serve Your Right To Suffer or Justin Timberlake’s FutureSex/LoveSounds magically appears in the Swaptions! 😂

View attachment 14283

OCTOBER ESSENTIALS IS 90'S ALT ROCK!!! YESSSSS!!!

There's so many amazing choices this could be! I can't wait, whatever it is, it'll be great! There's tons of great 90s rock albums that have never been on vinyl!
Looks like storf was right in October being the month id like the most

Can I get a link so I can tell him this

Listened to it through, and honestly I think the Sullivan album is pretty fun, but your milage may vary.

I can see why some folks don't dig it. I'd agree that it's one of those albums that are propped up by the myth. Competency wise, he's beneath the big singer-songwriters he's clearly drawing from like Croce, and probably beneath the lower tier of "neglected" folks who had a semi-mainstream sound like Shawn Phillips or Jimmie Spheeris. Certainly not mind expanding in lyrics or music, so it doesn't really scratch that psych itch for some.

But yeah I think what interests me with these types of albums is the unique synthesis of the era's styles. If he's going for Croce but a bit trippy I think that's interesting enough to pique my attention. One thing that gives me pause to getting a copy on vinyl is that this is quite a mediocre needledrop. Although copiously cleaned, theres some crazy IGD that keeps ramping up in the master as the source record got closer to the label.

I haven't been following along. It seems people are pretty certain about September. Where did we land on that and how do we know?
The album we've landed on is Jim Sullivan - U.F.O. We think this due to it obviously fitting the clues storf gave us.

1969, solo act, only album released on label of initial release

Also due to Light in The Attic reissuing all his previous works at this very moment on their store.

Also due to a recent article released about his story with the phrasing it as being "ESSENTIAL reading," with the word essential being capitalized being incredibly suspect

Back