Vinyl Me Please Essentials

im down for pretty much all of rap, rock, and essentials except for the willie nelson
You should at least stream the Nelson. Phases and Stages and Red Headed Stranger are outliers in his catalog. Phases is almost experimental (well it is considering it is a country album). You may still dislike it but it’s worth a listen. I’d be excited about it but I’m happy with the 75 Atlantic pressing and well it will be tight on records for me next year.

You should at least stream the Nelson. Phases and Stages and Red Headed Stranger are outliers in his catalog. Phases is almost experimental (well it is considering it is a country album). You may still dislike it but it’s worth a listen. I’d be excited about it but I’m happy with the 75 Atlantic pressing and well it will be tight on records for me next year.
i actually listened to like half of it and still wasn't really into it, I am not into the country twang it seems... like I understood its thematic elements but also just cant get into country in general

It's got that ba- OH MY GOODNESS

turns out today they changed their app UI and it's horrible now so fuck it here's the next quarter

View attachment 189777

So I am in for five of these : La Lupe, Gary Bartz, OC, Nina and ODB. I will have to listen to the others but I think that's it.

Also:
Harry Nilson - Pussy Cats, Wu Tang - The W and Alan Jackson - Who I AM have been confirmed for April Essentials, HH and Country.
Clint Black - Killin' Time confirmed for May Country
Nothing

So I am in for five of these : La Lupe, Gary Bartz, OC, Nina and ODB. I will have to listen to the others but I think that's it.

Also:
Harry Nilson - Pussy Cats, Wu Tang - The W and Alan Jackson - Who I AM have been confirmed for April Essentials, HH and Country.
Nothing

Hahahaha! The famously not that good Harry Nilsson album that himself and Lennon made on a lost “weekend” that sounds like it was way more fun to make than listen to…

Hahahaha! The famously not that good Harry Nilsson album that himself and Lennon made on a lost “weekend” that sounds like it was way more fun to make than listen to…
Made more bizarre by a mono AAA version of AB turning up as a store exclusive which would have actually been a solid choice as an Essentials pick.

Also:
Nothing
I've been waiting for that Wu album for ever. Really exciting.

I have been waiting for Wu Tang Forever for ever but it's a 4xLP so I'll probably have to sell my house first in order to buy it from VMP.
Yeah, unless it's a store drop it's definitely not going to be an ROTM. Think I bought my copy at a local record shop that deals in Japanese imports for like $80CAD.

Looking at the last release of the W, it looks like it hasn't been pressed since 2014, so I'm a little hesitant to sub at the international rate when it is LONG overdue for a repress. As it's the only one out of that month I'm looking forward to, I feel like I'm primed to get burned (again).

EDIT: I'm blind and I didn't see that there was a 2014 release.

Yeah, unless it's a store drop it's definitely not going to be an ROTM. Think I bought my copy at a local record shop that deals in Japanese imports for like $80CAD.

Looking at the last release of the W, it looks like it hasn't been pressed since 2014, so I'm a little hesitant to sub at the international rate when it is LONG overdue for a repress. As it's the only one out of that month I'm looking forward to, I feel like I'm primed to get burned (again).

EDIT: I'm blind and I didn't see that there was a 2014 release.

It's not my favorite Wu album but I am a Wu fan so I am happy with all these store drops and ROTMs. I wish they had Cappadonna Pillage in the plans but after receiving the newsletter from Get on Down saying they'll release the album, I am not sure if VMP will do their own. I'd like to see first two Shyheim albums released as well.

EDIT: Heavy Mental by Killah Priest would be great too. I actually have an OG copy but this album deserves a reissue to bring more eyes, and ears.

Made more bizarre by a mono AAA version of AB turning up as a store exclusive which would have actually been a solid choice as an Essentials pick.
I'd bet it's a licensing issue. Probably could only license a certain amount of records for AB. I know in the past VMP has been told no for some albums in ROTM but been okayed for store exclusive and vice-versa. I think they have tried to do smaller runs of exclusives only to be told that the pressing numbers weren't big enough for the artist/label.

Looking at all of these spoilers and, weird to say, my wallet has never felt safer.
The Country sub releases have piqued my interest

As far as the other subs go, ODB, ‘Mats (though there are at least three better albums they coulda chosen), and Willie would be great choices if I didn’t already own copies.

Looking at all of these spoilers and, weird to say, my wallet has never felt safer.
Gary Bartz and the Nina Simone are both excellent. The Labelle is a sleeper pick too. I'm pretty okay with this curation. I resubbed for the year to take advantage of the freebies and referrals. A few other things I may eventually pick up (Willie, Mats) but not in a rush to do so. I'll swap for credit for some months and use that to grab an anthology or some of the store true exclusives.

The “VMP Treatment” really has some blinded
Eh--yes and no. Obviously it's subjective but I've been waiting for any good label to reissue some of these albums in a good quality (Gary Bartz and Nina in particular). If you like any of these albums, you should be pretty happy with VMP reissuing them. The sound quality has really been pretty stellar ever since they have gone almost exclusively with RKS and Cicely cutting the ROTMs. GZ has mostly improved as well.

The curation is hit and miss as usual. I personally get maybe 1 ROTM each month at most, but at the current renewal price + bonus records + referral bonus I think it's completely worth it. I agree with ya that I don't get as hyped as some about these releases and I can't remember the last time I've gotten more than 2 ROTMs in any given month.

Back