Vinyl Me Please Essentials

any thoughts on Acid before swaps open? trust yall more than Discogs or Reddit.
I think it’s worth it, if you dig the album. The packaging and pressing was fantastic. They did a great job with the mastering, too. Just don’t expect an audiophile vocal experience from the original recording. Instruments sound exceptional.

Happy to own it but it can definitely be a bit sharp on the ears, mainly just the vocals. Instruments are fun but the vocals are like a cheese grater on the ears lol
I didn’t notice any harshness on the vocals, more just that it doesn’t sound like they’re singing directly into a microphone (it’s more like they’re singing in the room while playing instruments, which they were, and mics are picking that up).

It's just people that either don't have their systems set up right, or don't have good carts. It's totally fine.
I mean I don’t necessarily think that about folks here which is where I saw the complaints. I’m guessing folks aren’t used to Afro-Cuban music. This sounds like an older recording but right in line with Buena Vista Social Club or Orquesta Akokán.

Not for nothing, but it’s kind of ballsy for VMP to pick this as an essentials record. I’m sure they got an awful lot of complaints. One might think that since the did Buena Vista that it’s not that ballsy but that one had massive exposure and I’m still not sure that their general mark was all about that either. Anyhow kudos. Solid record that’s a lot of fun.

I mean I don’t necessarily think that about folks here which is where I saw the complaints. I’m guessing folks aren’t used to Afro-Cuban music. This sounds like an older recording but right in line with Buena Vista Social Club or Orquesta Akokán.
I've only seen some on cogs mentioning it, I mean it's an old not particularly well recorded Fania album, it's not going to sound AMAZING.

2/3 of the artists are female apparently (depending on how you count them)

and apparently people are going to hate the January one because its probably woman and its in a genre that wont get respect

the current guesses on the discord are Labelle - Nightbirds, Fleetwood Mac - ST (Or ABBA), Willie Nelson - Phases and Stages

Bonnie Raitt would be sweet for one of the '74s

Back