Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I am genuinely asking as I don’t know where the two albums rank more generally but is No Code more well regarded or essential than Yield?

The old man in the room, whose first Columbia Record Club CD of the Month was Ten and who was a die hard fan from 1991 - 1998 - says yes.
Building off the Neil Young Mirror Ball experience, No Code PJ's is Best Album as their most artistically mature and diverse release.

The old man in the room, whose first Columbia Record Club CD of the Month was Ten and who was a die hard fan from 1991 - 1998 - says yes.
Building off the Neil Young Mirror Ball experience, No Code PJ's is Best Album as their most artistically mature and diverse release.
Problem is we always have to take your opinion with a grain of salt based on your ranking of Evil Urges amongst MMJ’s discography.

agreed on all counts. no code is where they started to grow up. I really like vitalogy but it's a little full of itself and it's a bit long; it sort of tries too hard to be weird and grown up. no code they sorta learned to chill out and be themselves.

Last edited:
Those lists are wrong. :cool:
I just think there is a bit of a disconnect between people that are big PJ or music fans verses people that casually enjoy either. For the reasons cited earlier by @spilledleche I feel like, in general casual fans are more familiar with Yeild than No Code so there’s possibly a bit more mass appeal for Yield as a result.

I just think there is a bit of a disconnect between people that are big PJ or music fans verses people that casually enjoy either. For the reasons cited earlier by @spilledleche I feel like, in general casual fans are more familiar with Yeild than No Code so there’s possibly a bit more mass appeal for Yield as a result.
As far as I'm concerned, everything after No Code is not worth your time or attention, so I guess I agree with you on the point.

It will be the fifth 1996 alt-rock album picked for Essential track after Odelay, Pinkerton, Tidal and High/Low

Other names that could fit :
Sublime
Eels
Skunk Anansie
Placebo
Afghan Whigs
Fun Lovin' Criminals
Phish
Cake

Now Black Love on the other hand - that deserves your undivided attention.
I really hope this is where we are headed and its not No Code.

SUBLIIIIME!

Not that I want that as an ROTM, I'm just yelling the band name while shaking my fist at the sky because that's my normal reaction every time that band name is mentioned.

Sublime needs to be put in to the "bands that had their moment, but that moment has long gone so can we just forget about them please?" category.

SUBLIIIIME!

Not that I want that as an ROTM, I'm just yelling the band name while shaking my fist at the sky because that's my normal reaction every time that band name is mentioned.

Sublime needs to be put in to the "bands that had their moment, but that moment has long gone so can we just forget about them please?" category.
This is a take I couldn't disagree more with but I respect it!

It will be the fifth 1996 alt-rock album picked for Essential track after Odelay, Pinkerton, Tidal and High/Low

Sublime
Eels
Skunk Anansie
Placebo
Afghan Whigs
Fun Lovin' Criminals
Phish
Cake

Manic Street Preachers too. But their relationship with America is, well, complicated, so probably not. I’d rate it above any of the others mentioned so far.

There is nothing less appealing in humanity than Sublime. It’s just torture.

FWIW, I think No Code is a better album than Yield and probably more essential. It's already a 2LP and recently released, I don't see how they're going to make it substantially better than what's already released/available.

I would like this (since I have no code already and do not have tiny music) but it's another record that just recently got a re-release.

image.png

Other possibilities:
Fishmans - Long Season
Cardiacs - Sing to God
Unwound - Repetition
Failure - Fantastic Planet
Suede - Coming Up
Local H As Good As Dead
Yourself or Someone Like You - Matchbox 20
Everything Must Go - Manic Street Preachers
New Adventures in Hi-Fi - REM
No Code - Pearl Jam
Beautiful Freak - Eels
Being There - Wilco
Millions Now Living Will Never Die - Tortoise
Unplugged - Alice In Chains
Tigermilk - Belle and Sebastian
Placebo - Placebo
Murder Ballads - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah - Nirvana
Down on the Upside - Soundgarden
Recovering the Satellites - Counting Crows
Tiny Music Songs from the Vatican - Stone Temple Pilots
1977 - Ash
K - Kula Shaker
Moseley Shoals - Ocean Colour Scene
Lamb - Lamb
Dust - Screaming Trees
Music from the Unrealized Film Script, Dusk at Cubist Castle - Olivia Tremor Control
Sackcloth 'n' Ashes - 16 Horsepower
Fountains of Wayne - Fountains of Wayne
Blue Is the Colour - Beautiful South
Nocturnal - Heltah Skeltah
To the Faithful Departed - Cranberries
I mentioned it in the rap thread but it astounds me that people seem to think the Madlib album has to be Shades of Blue. The man has released a bajillion records, why zero in on the one that’s already getting a Tone Poet release this year?

Sublime
Eels
Skunk Anansie
Placebo
Afghan Whigs
Fun Lovin' Criminals
Phish
Cake
Cake -fashion nugget would be a vmp thing to do…release it months after it was just rereleased 😜

Back