Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I know aoxomoxoa had two mixes a 1969 and a 1971 mix the first mix was a bit more avant garde the 1971 mix was done at Warner Brothers request to try to make the album more commercial coming off the success of Workingman’s Dead and Americana can Beauty.
I have had both versions of Anthem as well as both versions of Aoxomoxoa. The Anthem remix is is definitely much less of a radical change compared to the two versions of Aoxomoxoa. The OG of Anthem is a little more murky and bass heavy, not a whole lot different than the remix. The OG Aoxomoxoa has a lot more bass, is much more psychedelic and completely different ending of doin that rag as well as different vocal takes in some songs I think?

They're going to really have to put together a great package for Air, the parlophone press (i think thats the one) is already pretty good.
You know...Imma really have to approach albums like this like "I have it, it sounds great so I'm not going to double up, but I'm glad more people get to experience an album I really like". Same as Interpol even though the VMP is probably miles better than the pressing I own.

I would never tell someone who gets their music primarily curated to them by a vinyl subscription service that they need to listen to Anthem of the Sun, but I am also positively giddy over the idea of people who have never heard primal Dead unknowingly being served up side 2 of that album.

Godspeed you, Crosley Warriors. Your journey is about to begin.

They're going to really have to put together a great package for Air, the parlophone press (i think thats the one) is already pretty good.
Yeah, It’s excellent. Plus for novelty sake, I have the glow-in-the-dark pressing plus the RSD 10”single of “Sexy Boy” in the die cut into the shape of the stuffed gorilla from the music video.
D651AF7F-2EDA-46C2-BC1D-562870E411B8.jpeg

Last edited:
I would never tell someone who gets their music primarily curated to them by a vinyl subscription service that they need to listen to Anthem of the Sun, but I am also positively giddy over the idea of people who have never heard primal Dead unknowingly being served up side 2 of that album.

LOL! It’s like dropping Thousands of kids who haven’t heard live Dead or WD or AB being dropped in the deep end of the pool. Might be awhile before they decide to go for a swim again.

I mean it’s not like they didn’t warn them with Caution! They literally spell it out!

also storf has said on the discord that we are getting the "wild mix" of the grateful dead album.. i think i prefer the first stuff i'm hearing from this album more than the standard stuff i heard on american beauty.. but keep in mind i usually listen to noisy walls of guitar and drone so i am probably not the best bet for judging this album... im not the traditional dead head

but keep in mind i usually listen to noisy walls of guitar and drone so i am probably not the best bet for judging this album... im not the traditional dead head
If you like that, you would dig a lot of early live Dead stuff. Lots of noise, heavy distortion. You should also dive into some '99-03 Phish (Siket Disc, Victor Disc, and this droning jam from 12/16/99:

)

Back