Vinyl Me Please Essentials

My Black vinyl copy of Moon Safari sounds excellent to be honest.

Now the GITD version is a bit noisier but as far as GITD records go, it sounds fairly decent.
I'm hoping they do something like they did with Phoenix - take an album that a lot of people already have but release the definitive version of it. The VMP version of Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix sounds amazing and the color/alternate cover are really nice.

Why not Boards of Canada - Music has The Right To Children?
It definitely could be.

I thought though someone mentioned that on discord the months coincide with release dates, which would actually discount all three picks (Unkle, Air and BoC).

It would definitely fit with Velvet Underground and Kacey Musgraves though.

EDIT:
If this were the case the closest possible guess (as Madonna is out) is Unfinished Monkey Business by Ian Brown.

Last edited:
I'm hoping they do something like they did with Phoenix - take an album that a lot of people already have but release the definitive version of it. The VMP version of Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix sounds amazing and the color/alternate cover are really nice.
Yeah, I already own two copies of Moon Safari, I had zero copies of Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix when it was released. That being said it is one of my favorite albums so it would be tempting but for me $40 for a niceTip-On Jacket would be pushing it. Though I have done it before.

this is a very shaky 3 months for me

i knew it was grateful dead, air, and kacey for a while i only feel like one is a get and even then i only somewhat like it

grateful dead is interesting as a pick because its absolutely not what most people would pick on their own.. and storf overhyped the kacey album making it seem like a daring or surprising choice so my anti country irrational anger comes in

i dunno if i might actually stay.. i only really want air and is 2 swaps and a decent rap lineup worth 130 bucks?

this is a very shaky 3 months for me

i knew it was grateful dead, air, and kacey for a while i only feel like one is a get and even then i only somewhat like it

grateful dead is interesting as a pick because its absolutely not what most people would pick on their own.. and storf overhyped the kacey album making it seem like a daring or surprising choice so my anti country irrational anger comes in

i dunno if i might actually stay.. i only really want air and is 2 swaps and a decent rap lineup worth 130 bucks?
If you're questioning it, then no. $130 could buy you a Moon Safari, and like 4 other albums that you'd want.

Sounds as though Anthem of the Sun has been confirmed.
Very strange pick, IMO. Not essential at all. Not that it’s bad, but I would listen to a live version of every song on that album 10/10 times, instead of the studio take. It’s not a studio album I ever throw on because it’s a good album.

If you're questioning it, then no. $130 could buy you a Moon Safari, and like 4 other albums that you'd want.
im more questioning it because i do want the hip hop ROTM for march and i think genocide and juice would be solid for me so its really only a super shaky january (my real join in month)

Very strange pick, IMO. Not essential at all. Not that it’s bad, but I would listen to a live version of every song on that album 10/10 times, instead of the studio take. It’s not a studio album I ever throw on because it’s a good album.
While I tend to agree with you (on favoring live versions and it being a puzzling pick) – it is worth noting that for Anthem The Dead actually interlaced live recordings with the studio recordings, so the album is a bit of a hybrid - which was a novel approach at the time.

While I tend to agree with you (on favoring live versions and it being a puzzling pick) – it is worth noting that for Anthem The Dead actually interlaced live recordings with the studio recordings, so the album is a bit of a hybrid - which was a novel approach at the time.
For sure, very new and experimental concept at the time. And it works well. But if we’re going for definitive early Dead, just give me a really solid version of Live/Dead.

For sure, very new and experimental concept at the time. And it works well. But if we’re going for definitive early Dead, just give me a really solid version of Live/Dead.
100%. I can't get enough of the Fillmore '69 shows, and even Two From the Vault. That version of "The Eleven" still gets me every time.

Isn't there 2 mixes of Anthem of the Sun? Are they doing both or is that too much?
Yes, there are two. The original '68 and a more "commercial" version in '71. Both versions can be found on the 50th anniversary release (below). No idea which one VMP will be using, I suppose both would be interesting. The 50th anniversary release also included a live set from Winterland, 1967.

Last edited:
Isn't there 2 mixes of Anthem of the Sun? Are they doing both or is that too much?
I know aoxomoxoa had two mixes a 1969 and a 1971 mix the first mix was a bit more avant garde the 1971 mix was done at Warner Brothers request to try to make the album more commercial coming off the success of Workingman’s Dead and Americana can Beauty.

Back