Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I would never tell someone who gets their music primarily curated to them by a vinyl subscription service that they need to listen to Anthem of the Sun, but I am also positively giddy over the idea of people who have never heard primal Dead unknowingly being served up side 2 of that album.

Godspeed you, Crosley Warriors. Your journey is about to begin.
"No sticker this month, just these 'guess the flavors' stamps? Weird but ok. Huh, doesn't really taste like anything...."

also storf has said on the discord that we are getting the "wild mix" of the grateful dead album.. i think i prefer the first stuff i'm hearing from this album more than the standard stuff i heard on american beauty.. but keep in mind i usually listen to noisy walls of guitar and drone so i am probably not the best bet for judging this album... im not the traditional dead head
What is the “wild mix”?

The original mix of the album. An alternate more commercial mix was done in 1972 to capitalize on their popularity and that’s probably the one people know more.
Got it. Never heard it called anything besides the original mix :LOL: it’s a much better mix than the remix. Are all recent reissues the remix? Still such a strange pick for essentials but not complaining.

Got it. Never heard it called anything besides the original mix :LOL: it’s a much better mix than the remix. Are all recent reissues the remix? Still such a strange pick for essentials but not complaining.
Yeah, I'd probably call the Air album an essential, but not this Dead pick (even though I love it) and certainly not the KM pick. Even wanting two of the three I still feel like it's a weak quarter.

I picked up this BN exclusive of Anthem a few years back - not totally clear which mix it is though… one reviewer on Cogs says the original… I’ll have to pull it out and verify soon. Anyway, if the VMP edition is the mix I don’t already have, maybe I’ll keep it. 🤔

I don’t have either Air or Kacey. Her Christmas album sure is great though!

What’s bizarre to me is that they did an entire Anthology of what they considered 8 albums that tell the Story of the Grateful Dead and Anthem isn’t in there (rightfully so).

But it’s an essential album in music overall? Headscratcher.
I hate their title of “essentials”. Most of them are not actually essential haha. I get they want a broad term to put anything that doesn’t belong in classics/country/RHH but a large portion of backlash on selections seems to be “how is this essential?”

Not shocked to see the Dead let them do a wider release of a lesser album for those kinds of pressing numbers

Yeah. I think 99% of the time though they do actual "essential" albums as their Essentials ROTM. We only occasionally get something more off the beaten path like Jim Sullivan, Beverly Glen-Copeland, or the 10th best Grateful Dead album

Back